NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Leaking engine oil- where to start
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Leaking engine oil- where to start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strange

Posts per day: 0.02

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject:  Leaking engine oil- where to start Reply with quote

Finally got my ABS issue fixed, only to find out as the car was raised that my oil pan was leaking. There was oil splattered all over the pan and areas near the pan. However the entire time it was raised I did not notice not 1 drip hit the floor. Any ideas on where should I start, or ideas on what it can be?
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Get under there and take a look. Give everything a wipedown if there is relatively fresh oil. Take it for a short drive, see what shows up in a second inspection.

I'd expect oilpan gasket, loose oil filter or drainpan bolt, or oil coming off a framerail or control arm from previous oil change.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The pan generally seeps oil when the car sits. Unless you had it up in the air for a few hours, you wouldn't see a difference. In my experience, if the pan is covered, there is an issue with the oil pan gasket.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Redshiba
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.1

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

As soon as I replaced my oil pan gasket my oil leak went away. I had the same type problem that you are saying.

Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Degrease and wash your engine, or take it to a car wash and use the brake cleaner or engine cleaner setting. Then see where fresh oil appears.

On the 3400:
1. Check the Oil Pressure Sender on the front of the block. They start leaking internally and will cover the front of the oil pan with oil. Cheap part, easy install, and if it blows out you will lose all your oil FAST.
2. Check about 3" under the throttle body, more than likely your Distributor Oil Pump Drive gasket is leaking. Happens on just about every 2800/3100/3400 engine ever made. GM decided to keep the distributor driven oil pump even after their went to coils. Rolling Eyes Its a $1 seal but you have to remove the upper intake, coolant hoses, and a bunch of other stuff out of the way, not the easiest seal to change on this engine!

Oil pan gaskets are usually blamed for oil leaks, but many times its actually oil flowing down from the top of the engine.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Vio

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala
1984 Pontiac Firebird
1978 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:

2. Check about 3" under the throttle body, more than likely your Distributor Oil Pump Drive gasket is leaking. Happens on just about every 2800/3100/3400 engine ever made. GM decided to keep the distributor driven oil pump even after their went to coils. Rolling Eyes Its a $1 seal but you have to remove the upper intake, coolant hoses, and a bunch of other stuff out of the way, not the easiest seal to change on this engine!

Glad I came across this post instead of asking on a new thread...

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing on mine; it's coming from on top of the engine under the throttle body area and leaking towards the front of the engine and on the starter. For anyone's FYI, the part number for the distributor oil pump drive o-ring is #10477565.
Vio

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala
1984 Pontiac Firebird
1978 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just wanted to follow up from my above post -

On Saturday, I removed the upper intake manifold and all the associated hardware in the way and pulled that distributor oil pump drive..the o-ring was cracked in several places and so brittle that when I pulled it off, it disintegrated before my eyes. I could see the path that the oil was leaking...down the front on the starter and on both sides as well, causing the oil pan and transmission pan to be coated in oil.

Several months ago, I thought it was a bad oil pan gasket but that wasn't the case. This was a fairly big job but well worth the time and effort. Hopefully this will aid anyone in tracing back the origin of their leak.
drew7997
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Vio,
I am glad you were able to repair yours. I assure you, that seal is much, much easier than the 3.8L Oil Pan gasket.
what a pain in the arse.

In any event, I had the same issue. I would run 2000 miles and need a quart. Saw oil all over the pan, re-torqued the bolts, didn't fix (didn't think so either but worth a shot)
I bought a new pan and gasket. My pan was rusting around the oil level sensor so I replaced it as well. I am no longer leaking oil out the oil pan but I am still burning oil at 1q every 2000 miles. I know it's within GM specs, but it's not within Drew's specs!

If anybody has a 3.8L with oil all over the pan, it's probably going to be the Oil Pan Gasket. You are going to need an engine hoist, an offset 15mm wrench and some other standard tools including, of course, the Torque Wrench. [/list]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: