NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Electric Water Pump
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Electric Water Pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwjturner

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject:  Electric Water Pump Reply with quote

2003 3800 LS SPORT NA

I'm looking at the Meziere electric water pump setup for my daily driver. Does anyone have experience with these? Do they hold up or would I be taking a real chance in running one of these for anything other than the track?
SuperImpala00
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You do not want coolant to flow at a rate that exceeds the rate of heat exchange of your radiator. If your going to do it, upgrade the radiator as well if you haven't already. In my opinion, I've seen issues where an electric unit doesn't take the constant heat very well and will crap out far faster than a mechanical one. A good electric one will cost you as it needs alot of juice to flow as well as a mechanical one. Bottom Line: if just a track car, hell YEA, if DD, hell NO
TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.12

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It would be a wise decision to also upgrade your whole coolant system with this mod. This includes:

- Oversize Radiator, I recommend an aluminum one.
- 180 degree thermostat, would work flawless with a tune
- High pressure radiator cap
- New coolant tubes

Also, get prepared to probably change your uim and lim gaskets, along with new coolant elbows. (Go with the new aluminum style my dorman, but look into changing the o-rings to something of higher quality.)

I don't have a personal experience with Meziere, but I have never heard bad things about their products. Not only will you get improved coolant flow, but you will free a few ponies from a shorter belt. I will be using a electric pump for my build, but then again its a full blown build.

Depending on how many miles your motor has, just be prepared to spend cash on gaskets that may leak and the possibly needed supporting mods. Does a stock motor necassarily need one? No.

Also... Meziere water pumps are fully rebuildable and I am sure come with a warranty of some kind.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Good information, thanks guys.
TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

gwjturner wrote:
Good information, thanks guys.

What was your final decision?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I haven't made a decision yet. According to what I've read about the Meziere pumps, they are rated at 35 GPM, which is supposedly equal to the factory mechanical pump, and 45 GPM for HD. If I install the pump that is equal to the factory rating, why would I need to upgrade everything else? Not that I'm against upgrading by any means! I'm just not understanding the NEED to.
TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I was pertaining to the hd, so if you go with factory specs you will be fine

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

gwjturner wrote:
I haven't made a decision yet. According to what I've read about the Meziere pumps, they are rated at 35 GPM, which is supposedly equal to the factory mechanical pump, and 45 GPM for HD. If I install the pump that is equal to the factory rating, why would I need to upgrade everything else? Not that I'm against upgrading by any means! I'm just not understanding the NEED to.

If your going to stay with stock specs dude, just go with a stock pump. I wouldn't waste my money paying for something that just flows stock, kinda pointless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: