NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2006 Impala stuck in park with Neutral Safety Switch issue?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2006 Impala stuck in park with Neutral Safety Switch issue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xMADMAGx

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject:  2006 Impala stuck in park with Neutral Safety Switch issue? Reply with quote

Long time no post, sorry guys.

Anyway my poor Impala is sticking in park. I believe that there is something wrong related to the neutral safety switch or whatever black magic occurs just above the brake pedal to release the gearshift when pressed. I couldn't find anything on the interwebs so I thought I might try you guys...

To summarize.

The car will more often that not refuse to shift out of park unless a great deal of force is applied to the shifter. It then works fine until trying to get back into park again. I have no reverse lights. The click that is usually heard above the brake pedal when pressing it while in park is very, very loud. The release on the shifter will require multiple presses of both it and the brake pedal to get it to engage. The car wants to hold onto the key after turning it off, but it can be persuaded out by bumping the floor shifter a few times with my palm, which a Pontiac dealer showed me how to do when I had a Grand Prix that also ate keys after it got old.

The full story.

I went out last night and noticed a bit more resistance in the shifter when going into reverse. This alarmed me, but after putting the car in park and going through all the gears it seemed fine, so I chalked it up to another one of the little gremlins that inhabit this car and went about my business.

When I got to my destination, the key would not come out of the ignition. Using a trick I learned from my Grand Prix driving days, putting the car in neutral while holding the brake pedal and gently whacking the top of the shifter several times with the heel of my palm got it to let loose of the key.

When I went to return home, I noticed my reverse lights were out. And when I got home I went through the same thing, except now it wont get out of park without a great deal of force on the floor shifter.

The Question.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what did you do about it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm assuming it has to have something to do with the reverse-locked-without-foot-on-brake safety system most autos have, but I am not sure where to start. Thanks.

EDIT:

So I found this thread that mentions that getting stuck in park is a common problem that I wasn't aware of.

http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....highlight=

I'm not real sure if that is exactly the problem though as it *can* go into reverse if I try several times in rapid succesion.

Does anyone know if the in-console wiring harness affects the reverse lights?

VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

open the Console, fix the wires in the connector, and reroute the wires, so they have more slack and don't pull loose again.
jgilius
Uber
Uber
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.3

1983 Ford Thunderbird
2004 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Your wiring is probably coming loose so you might still be able to eventually shift it.. Some guys forced theirs into gear (used their foot maybe?) but it's a quick easy fix to reroute them. If it's starting to fail, it will eventually fail. Peace, John

www.afgwm.org
www.pwctoday.com
www.focusfanatics.com
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.58

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

could be a bind in the linkage (if there is one)

Cadet
Cadet
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.03

2008 Chevrolet Impala
1989 Ford F150
1981 Jeep Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

As a quick and inconvenient workaround, pull the wood grain trim panel off the top of the console.

Use a strong flashlight and look down through the plastic slots on the passenger side of the shifter. You should see a silver mushroom button centered horizontally (laying sideways), about 1" diameter.

If you can find something long enough and stout enough to push this button in (I used an old butter knife, a longer flat-blade screwdriver would also likely work) - this will disengage the mechanical interlock and allow the selector to be moved out of Park. Again, kind of a pain in the posterior, but it'll get ya by until time for real repairs can be made. Suggest caution in the use of force to pull the shifter out of Park - this may bend some things out of alignment, and just flat break some other things.

Real repairs will likely take on the order of 1-2 hours, depending on your mechanical prowess and ingenuity getting that console shell removed. Pretty much like the post-ers above have mentioned, very likely a failure in the wiring / connector to the interlock solenoid, due to the stresses of moving the shifter over time and a poor routing path, particularly if you're one to drop it down into 1st gear on occasion which really ranges the wire flex.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

2014 F150 4x4 - too new to rate.
jgilius
Uber
Uber
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.3

1983 Ford Thunderbird
2004 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wde, good writeup. Hope that's the problem you're having, MADMAG. Just another one of those things GM just didn't get quite right on these cars. Peace, John

www.afgwm.org
www.pwctoday.com
www.focusfanatics.com
xMADMAGx

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the replies everyone. It took me a few days to gather materials and get the car somewhere it could stay if things went wrong.

As suggested I yanked the plastic part out and looked down there. I think my problem is different than this as the wires were still firmly connected in my case. Also, pushing that button does work to get the car into reverse, but I still do not have reverse lights. I have also checked the bulbs in case it was some sort of cruel coincidence they went out at the same time.

I am wondering if there might actually be something wrong with the release button itself as I have noticed now that when I get it to push in, it will stay pressed in until I push on the bottom of the button which makes the top pop out a bit.

Also, there is a very loud snap that is heard in the shifter when the brake is pressed in park. This is much different than the normal click that is present in these cars normally. Finally, applying light pressure to the button before pressing the pedal eliminates this sound and increases the odds that it will go into gear from about 10% to 95%

I'm assuming this would be a boneyard part if this is what it is, right? Or do they fail often enough that I need to see the dealer$hip to avoid doing this again soon?

Again, thanks for the advice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: