NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Transmission and other issues...
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Transmission and other issues...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agraves138

Posts per day: 0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject:  Transmission and other issues... Reply with quote

Good evening guys,

I just purchase a 2004 Impala with the 3.4L V6. The owner sold it cheap due to some issues the car had, but it still has a great overall body and I thought it would make for a good car once it was repaired.

VIN# is: 2G1WF52E849348969

The issues:

Transmission. I know this vehicle has the 4T65E transmission. This car only moves in Reverse. Gears 1,2,3,D do nothing. You put it in any of those gears and the car sits like it's in neutral. Hitting the acceleration does nothing. Transmission does not whine or make any unusual noises, just don't respond in those gear. I'm wondering if this is a bad transmission or if its possibly a solenoid issue. Also, if it is a bad transmission what is the correct transmission to replace if with. The RPO sticker on the car is faded and thus I can't know which replacement transmission to buy that will work with the car.

Speedometer. The needle on the Speedometer is collapsed to the point where its rest over the gear indicator. So basically the needle is point at the "R" for reverse. Hitting the gas does nothing, but since it's a Speedometer and not an RPM gauge it could be because the car is not moving. But it appears it the needle doesn't move at all even in reverse. The rest of the cluster works well. Temp Gauge and Gas Gauge work as well as the gear indicator.

Can anyone tell me the proper replacement transmission code I should be looking for?? And if there is anything i should be checking to get the Speedo to work again?

Thanks!
Anthony
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Abandon ship.

Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm hoping he just gave it to you. Part out or take to junk yard. Well worth the $ if that the case.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject:  Not worth fixing?? Reply with quote

I bought the car for $500. Hauled it with my truck. Was planning on installing the transmission myself at home. Why abandon ship? I've read the speedometer might be the VSS of the stepper motor in the cluster. And a transmission install shouldn't be that difficult. Anyone know the code for the compatible transmission?
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.51

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pm "nightryder" (http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=profile&mode=viewprofile&u=1402) he would be the person i would ask about compatible transmissions. As for the speedo (its plug n play except 2000's) just get a new cluster or used one unless your really good a soldering.

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
Bill58
Resident
Resident
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.2

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Trans ID Tag is bolted near P/Side axle, facing the firewall.
Triple Edge Performance has lots of info and a strong transmission.
See Dorman OEM Remanufactured Instrument Clusters.
agraves138

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject:  Thank you! Reply with quote

I bought this car for repair and resale so at $500 for the body & a good working engine is a decent price considering the car is listed on KBB for $3200. The goal is to pull the motor and transmission as one unit from the top to avoid the hassles of dealing with the subframe. Once the unit is out, then I can take a good look for leaks, and degrease the engine, as well as remove the transmission easier with it out of the car. Then simply replace the bad transmission with a replacement unit put it all back together and sell it.

I just want to ensure we get the correct unit to get the job done right in one swoop. And not have it sitting around for a long time. I'll be looking for the ID tag tomorrow so I can being the search for a good salvage unit.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Good luck. You are going to be lucky to break even on this project unless you find a sucker to buy the car.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
agraves138

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject:  Why? Reply with quote

Why would you think that? A replacement transmission is running in the range of 300-600 and I'm doing the labor myself....

$500 + $600 (estimated) is $1100...
KBB value on the car is $3250...I plan to sell for $3000...
thats a profit of $1900

am I missing something?
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You aren't gonna get 3500 bucks for a 2004 Base Model Impala unless you find a sucker. I couldn't unload a 2002 Monte Carlo SS with a KBB value of 6500 bucks for 4000 dollars before I gave up and dumped it at Carmax for 3k. Bottom line is that the KBB values are usually way higher than what you will actually get...

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Garuntee carmax will offer you about 1200 for it.

04 is right at their cut-off line now being 10yrs old so they will just auction it.

If I were you, and you are looking to dump it after its fixed, throw in a junkyard trans.

You can get em for 350 or less, and grab a working spedometer while you're there for another 30-50.

That way you are in it less than 1g, you can put it out there for 3500, take the first 2g offer that you get and you made just over a g quick.

If you plan to keep it, get TEP to build you a trans and ship it to ya, install it, and replace the speedo. Theyre easy to find, just make sure its not an 00 or the 3rd brake light will stay on. 01-05 and you are good.

Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

most of us have been driving these for a while. So unless you tend to keep it, listen to 00impala.. and yes KBB Is a joke. My grandpa before he retired out of the car biz would always use NADA.

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Jnibbs24 wrote:
most of us have been driving these for a while. So unless you tend to keep it, listen to 00impala.. and yes KBB Is a joke. My grandpa before he retired out of the car biz would always use NADA.

Yeah, KBB on my brother in law's 04 gp gt was 4600. Carmax offered us 1200. Got a 3 grand offer same day so we just sold it instead of trying to sit on it for another month and get another 500-800 for it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject:  Confidence Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'll let you guys know how I make out. I have confidence I'll get what I"m looking for. Any ways, the car is simply to fix and sell. I plan on resoldering the stepper in the existing odometer as the other two gauges work (temp, and fuel). and I'm looking for the Transmission code so I can get a replacement tranny from the junk.

I know KBB is not the actual value but the majority of the people in this area use that as the guide. I also know NADA is the correct way to go, but I obviously go by the market.

Either way, I'll let you guys know how I make out. A grand profit, is still not a bad profit for a days work anyway you slice it guys.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah, that's why I was saying just junkyard trans and fix the cluster. Take first decent offer you get to make a quick buck and be on your way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: