NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Fuel Leak
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Fuel Leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gems
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.22

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject:  Fuel Leak Reply with quote

I have a "minor" fuel leak... Sometimes when idling at a stop I get a very faint smell of gas... Looked under the hood today and noticed some wetness around the underside of this fitting to the fuel rail on top of the motor... It's the fitting on the side of the manifold closest to the firewall... I pushed the fitting up and down a little and then restarted the motor... I did not see any leakage... Rev'd the motor and still no leakage but it was definitely wet with a few drops of gas when I first popped the hood... How do I fix this?... Is there an O-Ring in the fitting?... How do you open or disconnect this fitting?... 2001 LS with 3.8L motor...

2001Ls
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.23

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pretty sure that's the return fuel line. Its a quick disconnect, push the two clear plastic tabs all the way on the bottom a.d pull up.

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Gems
Uber
Uber

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:
Pretty sure that's the return fuel line. Its a quick disconnect, push the two clear plastic tabs all the way on the bottom a.d pull up.

Push them in? Push them down? Still not sure how to remove this connector...

I'm looking for a replacement fuel line connector for this and so far all I see is a Dorman brand and it looks a little different than this...

Are they different sizes on the return and pressure side?

2001Ls
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.23

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Squeeze the clear plastic tabs all the way on the bottom in and pull up. I don't know anything else sorry.

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Gems
Uber
Uber

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:
Squeeze the clear plastic tabs all the way on the bottom in and pull up. I don't know anything else sorry.

That's OK I know what you're saying... The aftermarket parts look like this and you squeeze the tabs in to release...

But my OEM connector looks different and seems to have a "U" shaped clip on the bottom which I think you push in and then pull up...

EDIT.....

OK, I see what you are saying now that I have better daylight...

There is a 2nd fuel connector on the opposite side of the manifold... I don't know which one is pressure and which one is return... But they fuel line diameter measures different for each... The one on the backside of the manifold measures 3/8" diameter and the one on the front side of the manifold measures 5/16" diameter...

But Dorman only sells a 3/8" fuel connector??

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you go to your local parts store, they usually sell the ends, just cut the old one off and put a new one on. Use the supplied clamp, heat it with a heat gun/hair dryer and your done.
Gems
Uber
Uber

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:

I squeezed the tabs so that it partially disconnected and then reseated it until I heard it click... Leak seems to have stopped... No evidence of a gas drip and no more smell... Maybe it wasn't fully locked for some reason and I didn't know it...

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Gems wrote:
2001Ls wrote:

I squeezed the tabs so that it partially disconnected and then reseated it until I heard it click... Leak seems to have stopped... No evidence of a gas drip and no more smell... Maybe it wasn't fully locked for some reason and I didn't know it...

They can be a little finicky... you never know, may have bumped it or it could have just been a freak chance that it worked a bit loose somehow.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

the O rings failed on mine awhile back. there are 2 on the inside. its alot cheaper to fix. but if it's not leaking anymore then thats good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: