NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 03' Impala front end specs.???
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

03' Impala front end specs.???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mx842

Posts per day: 0

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject:  03' Impala front end specs.??? Reply with quote

In December I noticed the rear left tire was worn out in a really strange way. There was a spot on it about 8" that had all the tread gone. It did have a couple small spots that were worn down also but they were smaller like a couple inches but they were spaced out all over on the inside and the outside.

I knew the struts needed replacing and figured these could be the problem so I went ahead and replaced all 4 with new complete Monroe strut kits. While I was working on it I also noticed the control arm bushing were worn out and also found the sway bar partially broken so I replaced the sway bar and went ahead and replaced the complete control arms also. While I was at it I also replaced the front hubs because they both had some play in them.

I had set up an appointment with the GM dealer nearby but when I got there they said they were too busy and I would have to come back at a later time just make another appointment. I looked at the dude and said what gives me the idea you will honor the next appointment either, since I just called and made this one just yesterday. I left and went to another place that claimed to be able to do 4 wheel alignments to give them a try. The mechanic was pretty cool and after about 20 minutes he called my attention to a bent rear track bar that needed to be replaced before he could align it. I told him I would replace it and bring it back which he was fine with.

He gave me a print out of the camber and toe readings and he said they were really out on two wheels and it could probably take quite awhile to get it in line once he had it back on the lift. He told me a few things to check while I was working on the bent bar and told me I could probably get it pretty close and was about to go into what to do when his boss man showed up and put a damper on that.

He did get out that this car got a slight negative camber and was getting into how to check the strut brackets or to adjust them into place but didn't finish or get to the toe in part.

The left front camber he said was good -0.5 degrees
The right front was 1.0 degrees
cross camber, what ever that is, was -1.5 degrees.

The right rear camber was also good -0.3 degrees
The left rear camber was -1.8 degrees
cross camber at -1.5 degrees.

The toe numbers were: left front -0.90in.
front right -0.42in.
total toe of -1.32in.

The rear toe: left rear 0.14 in.
right rear -0.46in.
total toe -0.32in.
thrust angle =0.60 degrees

I'm sure once I replace the track bar this will change the numbers on the right rear somewhat and possibly even bring the toe into specs if I can figure out what it should be to begin with. Like I said the guy didn't get that far. I've looked at the specs off of three different sites today and got different specs off each one. So I'm still trying to figure out what to look for.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.64

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Any good shop should have a machine that prints off the specs for your car along with the values when they put it on the rack and after they adjust it. If the shop you used didn't have that, you should probably find another shop.

That being said, if you have broken or bent suspension components, you really can't put any value on the numbers they gave you as they will be all sorts of messed up due to the bent/broken part. Get the broken components replaced and have it checked out again.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
mx842

Posts per day: 0

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Any good shop should have a machine that prints off the specs for your car along with the values when they put it on the rack and after they adjust it. If the shop you used didn't have that, you should probably find another shop.

That being said, if you have broken or bent suspension components, you really can't put any value on the numbers they gave you as they will be all sorts of messed up due to the bent/broken part. Get the broken components replaced and have it checked out again.

That is what I plan to do but I want to get it as close as I can once I replace the bent part. I was just looking for what the specs should be once everything is put back together. I bought two bolt kits to make it easier to adjust the camber......$22.00 a bolt!! I about passed out when the guy told me that but I wanted to do the front while I was waiting for the bent part for the rear. I got 2 at Roc Auto for less than I paid for one at Advance Auto and they should be here soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: