NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - offer from insurance, browsing cars [FINALIZED]
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

offer from insurance, browsing cars [FINALIZED]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brich

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject:  offer from insurance, browsing cars [FINALIZED] Reply with quote

long story short, 2002 base was stolen, have a first offer from my insurance....after deductible and my last f*ckn car payments im taking ABOUT 5100, we're trying to get a bit more cuse we did just swap out an engine on it 2 years go and they only tacked on so much kind of a slap in the face

Essentially being 22 college student i dont have much racked up in my savings and i can only finance so much with my banks auto loan, so ruling out certain newer cars for purchase is out of option, meaning my max range would be about 8kish might be able to stretch more if my financing is good and im willing to pay more monthly

I got used to paying weekly for gas on that damn 3.4l v6 so i dont think i really mind going with another v6 but a strong v4 wouldnt be bad either, however i was absolutely spoiled by the space of that car i fit so much s#it into it, especially the trunk where i fit my 4x12 guitar cabinet and other items with ease

im sort of looking at specs at a 2008 Malibu, Mazda6, camry, and elantra.....but that Malibu doesnt look all that bad, any takes on the engine? is it worthy for purchase?

Last edited by brich on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Your insurance offered you more than 5100 for an 02? Take it and run. I doubt they care you did an engine swap.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've got a 2009 Malibu with the 2.4L 4-banger that I picked up at a price I could refuse after I dumped my Monte Carlo. It's nothing special, but it gets the job done and returns way better fuel economy than the Monte did. I used to get 14 MPG around town with the Monte, I get about 18 in the Malibu. The Malibu can also do 35+ MPG on the highway without even trying.

The only thing is that when you really need power (like merging onto the highway), it feels like it can't get out of it's own way. You eventually get used to it, but it takes some time.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
brich

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

yea i was surprised also they offered me that much! but hey might as well try and grab as much as a i can right? haha.........14 mpg? that's ridiculous being that the impala was my first car i cant imagine driving anything under 17...the overkill tune helped i would get about 20 and the shifts points made all the difference when getting on the freeway i used to lag shift horribly when accelerating

Iffy so your saying it somewhat lacks power when trying to get up to speed...other than that its definitely a DD, i do like the size, coming from the impala im used to driving a boat, im currently on a 2012 Yaris rental i cant really find anything good about it besides the mpg
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My commute to work is ridiculously short (3 miles one way), so the Monte Carlo never reached operating temperature most of the year. The Malibu is at full operating temp within a mile or so as long as it isn't horribly cold.

It's a perfect daily driver. The Malibu isn't flashy or superexciting to drive, but it's dirt cheap to insure, gets great MPG and mine hasn't had any issues that cost me any money out of pocket in the time I've had it (compared to the money suck that was my Monte).

Dan wrote:

d
brich

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

hahaha thats pretty funny but super convenient! yea ive never really driven something too sporty, we have a 99 maxima and my dad has an 02 Avalon and thats about all ive driven so im sure i wouldnt mind not having that "wow" driving factor, and i feel you on the money suck, i had a 3.4, but the only thing i can take away from it is im able to actually know when something goes wrong on a car haha....overheating, maf, etc. i will most definitely look at the malibu, actually looking on some online and im starting to dig it, especially the design on the 09 compared to the 08 and earlier
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2008s are pretty much the same as my 2009. They are definitely much nicer than 2007 models though, that's for sure.

Edit: now that I think about it the 2007 Malibu stayed on as a "Malibu Classic" for 2008....

Dan wrote:

d
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.43

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

v4?

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

madbrad wrote:
v4?

You know what he meant.

Dan wrote:

d
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
Your insurance offered you more than 5100 for an 02? Take it and run. I doubt they care you did an engine swap.

I missed that on my first read through. I would have jumped for f'n joy and quietly wondered if they messed up the payout.

Dan wrote:

d
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Lingenfelter wrote:

I missed that on my first read through. I would have jumped for f'n joy and quietly wondered if they messed up the payout.

With all the replies and no mention of how good the insurance payout was, I was starting to wonder if I was losing my marbles. Laughing

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
brich

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

madbrad wrote:
v4?

hahaha for some reason i keep tying that,i guess its habit out of typing and seeing v6 everywhere but 4 cylinder yes

Iffy- i do agree i wont lie its a great cut, we're just trying to snake out as much as we can at this point, 08 is the same? man there are so many trim models im trying to distinguish the actual differences, im assuming most of them are just upgraded interior...engine is the same but with the option of a 4 or 6 speed tranny?
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

On a 2008 a Classic is essentially the 2007 model. LS is the base model (I have an LS with zero options). I'm pretty sure the LS only comes with the 4-banger. The LT gets more options and an optional V6. The LTZ comes with all the bells and whistles and a much larger price tag.

Compared to my Monte Carlo SS (only option was a sunroof), the unoptioned Malibu is a much nicer car. I'd much rather be driving a Genesis Coupe or a Mustang, but for the time being the Malibu is just fine. To be honest, as long as it holds up I'll probably keep it as a DD and get a RWD manual transmission car for fun later.

Dan wrote:

d
brich

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
On a 2008 a Classic is essentially the 2007 model. LS is the base model (I have an LS with zero options). I'm pretty sure the LS only comes with the 4-banger. The LT gets more options and an optional V6. The LTZ comes with all the bells and whistles and a much larger price tag.

Compared to my Monte Carlo SS (only option was a sunroof), the unoptioned Malibu is a much nicer car. I'd much rather be driving a Genesis Coupe or a Mustang, but for the time being the Malibu is just fine. To be honest, as long as it holds up I'll probably keep it as a DD and get a RWD manual transmission car for fun later.

ahhh ok how quiet is the ride? if i buy im probably going to put another sound system in and dont really wanna buy sound damper if the ride is already quiet enough
overlordspock
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.14

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Last fall, we replaced my wife's '05 Impala LS with a 2011 Malibu LTZ with the 3.6.

Except for interior space, this car is superior in just about every way. It is quieter, the ride is smoother, the car has an overall tighter feeling and there is very little body roll going around corners. The interior does have less space, but we are both taller people (I'm 6'4" and she's 5'11") and although the difference from the Impala is noticeable, we are still comfortable.

If you can afford the difference, I very much recommend going with the 3.6L V6 instead of the 4-banger. We drove both when looking and the 3.6 is much more fun to drive. As others have mentioned, the I4 can be very doggy. With the V6, gas mileage does suffer a little, but not bad. In mixed in-town/highway driving (about 60/40), the car is getting 22 mpg. On a few road-trips, we've managed 31 mpg.

We both miss the Impala, but have also very much fallen in love with the 'Bu!

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, Kooks LTs w/ Cats, Corsa Catback, RotoFab CAI, HomeLink
2014 Impala 2LT - Black, No Mods
2008 Silverado LTZ Z71 - Black, Extended Cab, Spray-on Bedliner
2008 Impala SS - Precision Red, Magnaflow, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Overkill Tune, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets SOLD
2005 Impala LS - Summit White, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets, BBE Monte SS Cluster SOLD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: