NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2005 Chevy Impala exhaust smell
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2005 Chevy Impala exhaust smell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason

Posts per day: 0

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Oh yes ! 2005 Chevy Impala exhaust smell Reply with quote

In the past few weeks I have noticed an exhaust smell in the car. It is a faint smell, but does seem to get stronger. I have seen other posts and comments, so I will be as detailed as possible so that I can get the best response. First of all, when starting the car, it does not always start on the first crank. Also I noticed yesterday that when it did start, it was running a little rough when idling. However once I gave it some gas, it smoothed out and ran fine. When the car is driving, it runs perfectly smooth, so I don't feel like it is a spark plug issue. I notice the smell most when I am actually driving. Like when I'm giving it gas. The smell subsides when I am at stoplights. I am what you would call a back yard mechanic, so while I'm not an expert, I do have some experience in working on cars. Saw a post said that it could be the O2 sensor, but I don't want to drop a bunch of money on parts that are not needed. Also I was thinking that it could be the exhaust manifold gasket. This does not smell like a rich gas smell. A year ago I replaced the pressure regulator, and this problem does not smell anything like fresh gas. The car is just getting ready to hit 90,000 miles. Any help you can provide would be appreciated as my wife and 6 year old ride in this car the most. Thank you!
SuperImpala00
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would say the exhaust manifold gaskets need replacing. If you have no check engine light, the next step would be to get an auto scanner and check the readings off of the ECM, that'll tell you what you need to know.
Jason

Posts per day: 0

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The check engine light is NOT on. I am unable to check the gauges (like temp gauge), as the Temp, speedometer and fuel gauges do not work. I know that the dashboard alerts work as it is the only way I know when I'm low on fuel.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Have you checked for exhaust leaks or had a backpressure test done?

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Oh yes ! Re: 2005 Chevy Impala exhaust smell Reply with quote

Jason wrote:
In the past few weeks I have noticed an exhaust smell in the car. It is a faint smell, but does seem to get stronger. I have seen other posts and comments, so I will be as detailed as possible so that I can get the best response. First of all, when starting the car, it does not always start on the first crank. Also I noticed yesterday that when it did start, it was running a little rough when idling. However once I gave it some gas, it smoothed out and ran fine. When the car is driving, it runs perfectly smooth, so I don't feel like it is a spark plug issue. I notice the smell most when I am actually driving. Like when I'm giving it gas. The smell subsides when I am at stoplights. I am what you would call a back yard mechanic, so while I'm not an expert, I do have some experience in working on cars. Saw a post said that it could be the O2 sensor, but I don't want to drop a bunch of money on parts that are not needed. Also I was thinking that it could be the exhaust manifold gasket. This does not smell like a rich gas smell. A year ago I replaced the pressure regulator, and this problem does not smell anything like fresh gas. The car is just getting ready to hit 90,000 miles. Any help you can provide would be appreciated as my wife and 6 year old ride in this car the most. Thank you!
I have a leak under the hood area as well
I suggest not using the fresh air input and just have it recycle the air

A carbon monoxide detector would be great as well. If you use the defogger often. since it requires fresh air from the outside
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sure its not the quick fitting into the fuel rail? Those orings fail over time.

Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I don't know what region you are in, but if I have snow on top of my windshield that covers the fresh intake vents, the car tends to suck air from thru the engine bay. I suffer from the same problem, I think it is the crush gasket at the downpipe. I haven't been able to track it down meaning when the exhaust is cold should see the hot air escape as steam ect.
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

With the engine running, remove the vacuum line from your fuel pressure regulator. I'm willing to bet you'll smell raw gas.

I got in my car today and driving through the parking garage got a faint smell of gas. Got to work and pulled the vacuum line and yup, could smell gas at the regulator. Rolling Eyes

I replaced the original one at 5.5 years, the new Autozone piece failed in less than a year, next Autozone lasted about 2 years, and the last AC Delco lasted 2 years and I'm about to replace it again! Mad Might go with a Delphi piece this time as the sites say its the original. But yeah, if you just got a regular FPR they carry at the parts stores, there's a good chance it may be failing already.

Guess there's a reason they only warranty them 1 year....

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: