Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:40 pm Post subject: Time to dump some $$ into the Imp
Cant beleive how quickly time moves on. Next month it will be 7 years of ownership for the Impala ! Other than below I really have not had to do anything other than basic oil, tires and brakes.
LIM Gaskets were weeping and replaced 3-4 years ago
Fixed the AC 6 years ago.
Last fall the Trans was clunking so I dumped $1200.00 into a rebuild at the shop that does the local hot-rods and service trucks
My 17 year old just got her learners permit and will be heading off to University next year so I figure its time to dump some cash into the car and keep it reliable. Hopefully it will last her thru her drivers-ed and schooling.
Just spent a bunch of $$$ at Rockauto on:
- new Delco Plugs + wires
- both Front Wheel bearings Timken( one is making some noise so they will both get done )
- new fuel pump ( guage has been pretty reckless for over a year now at anything lower than 1/2 tank )
- both stablizer bar end links ( ones been sheared off for about a year )
- IAC Valve ( mines been cleaned twice )
- Vent Valve Selenoid ( pesky P0449 code )
Weather has been crap for the last few weeks and I dont have a garage. Just stockpiling parts until the weather breaks and I can tackle everything when I get time.
I got the use of a freinds home shop tomorrow afternoon ( cost me 12 beer + a couple veal sammiches ) . So we are going to tackle the front bearings and swaybar endlinks ( rock auto has not delivered my fuel pump yet ).
So instead of working in the cold in the driveway with a floor jack it will be nice to work inside, warm and use a hoist
whoa what a job. Ever so glad to be doing this at my friends shop !! The DS came out without much fuss and back together without issue.
The PS was a PIA. The half-shaft would not come apart from the bearing with the soft faced mallet so we used my Miller Puller that I have had for many years and it broke as soon as we put the impact gun on it
From there we smacked it with the 2lb hammer and hardwood block but it still would not budge. Then we broke out the 3lb baby sledge hammer and the hardwood block and it still would not budge but ended up splintering the hardwood. Next we ended up with the oxy-acetylene trying to heat the bearing then smacked it with the 3lb sledge and the block of wood with no success. Finally got it to move using the buggest steel punch he had in place of the wood and the BFH. It came out over so slowly. All this beating kinda mushroomed the last couple threads on the half shaft so I spent a good 30 mins with the file "chasing" the threads until the nut would go on and off.
If I was doing this in the driveway for sure I would have just cut and the replaced the halfshaft in frustration trying to get it apart.
Those beers I brought certainly came in handy !! Car is still noisy to drive with the snowtires on but its much smoother now and doesnt grind around corners Looking forward to chasing all the little things neglected on the car once the weather warms up a little more.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum