NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Time to dump some $$ into the Imp
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Time to dump some $$ into the Imp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blacknome
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Astro
1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject:  Time to dump some $$ into the Imp Reply with quote

Cant beleive how quickly time moves on. Next month it will be 7 years of ownership for the Impala ! Other than below I really have not had to do anything other than basic oil, tires and brakes.
LIM Gaskets were weeping and replaced 3-4 years ago
Fixed the AC 6 years ago.
Last fall the Trans was clunking so I dumped $1200.00 into a rebuild at the shop that does the local hot-rods and service trucks

My 17 year old just got her learners permit and will be heading off to University next year so I figure its time to dump some cash into the car and keep it reliable. Hopefully it will last her thru her drivers-ed and schooling.

Just spent a bunch of $$$ at Rockauto on:

- new Delco Plugs + wires
- both Front Wheel bearings Timken( one is making some noise so they will both get done )
- new fuel pump ( guage has been pretty reckless for over a year now at anything lower than 1/2 tank )
- both stablizer bar end links ( ones been sheared off for about a year Smile )
- IAC Valve ( mines been cleaned twice )
- Vent Valve Selenoid ( pesky P0449 code )

Weather has been crap for the last few weeks and I dont have a garage. Just stockpiling parts until the weather breaks and I can tackle everything when I get time.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds not bad. The weather in Southern Ontario has been terrible the last few weeks, especially last weekend. Did LIM gaskets a couple weeks ago, wasn't a good time for them to go.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
blacknome
Dedicated
Dedicated

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Astro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I got the use of a freinds home shop tomorrow afternoon ( cost me 12 beer + a couple veal sammiches ) . So we are going to tackle the front bearings and swaybar endlinks ( rock auto has not delivered my fuel pump yet ).

So instead of working in the cold in the driveway with a floor jack it will be nice to work inside, warm and use a hoist Razz
blacknome
Dedicated
Dedicated

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Astro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whoa what a job. Ever so glad to be doing this at my friends shop !! The DS came out without much fuss and back together without issue.
The PS was a PIA. The half-shaft would not come apart from the bearing with the soft faced mallet so we used my Miller Puller that I have had for many years and it broke as soon as we put the impact gun on it Mad
From there we smacked it with the 2lb hammer and hardwood block but it still would not budge. Then we broke out the 3lb baby sledge hammer and the hardwood block and it still would not budge but ended up splintering the hardwood. Next we ended up with the oxy-acetylene trying to heat the bearing then smacked it with the 3lb sledge and the block of wood with no success. Finally got it to move using the buggest steel punch he had in place of the wood and the BFH. It came out over so slowly. All this beating kinda mushroomed the last couple threads on the half shaft so I spent a good 30 mins with the file "chasing" the threads until the nut would go on and off.

If I was doing this in the driveway for sure I would have just cut and the replaced the halfshaft in frustration trying to get it apart.

Those beers I brought certainly came in handy !! Car is still noisy to drive with the snowtires on but its much smoother now and doesnt grind around corners Smile Looking forward to chasing all the little things neglected on the car once the weather warms up a little more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: