NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - water pump
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

water pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pimptight

Posts per day: 0.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject:  water pump Reply with quote

i have a 2004 impala ss indy i just put a new water pump on it now for some reason the car is running hot the heater won't get hot and the car ran for about an hour i bleed it and it still did'nt work put in new thermostat that did'nt work put did notice that i could leave my hand on all of the hoses and they was'nt hot do u think the new pump is bad or is the radatoris stopped up please help
blwnss

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

it probably just needs more fluid in it . and it sucked a hose closed . What i do it fill the recovery tank pretty full , go drive around with a jug of coolant or water or mixed . wait fort he car to start getting hot like 240. Stop leave it running and open the radiotor cap slowly and also on a level surface . You should see and hear in your recovery tank bubbling like crazy and the level going down .But more than likely it needs coolant.

05 Impala SS

\
Redshiba
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.1

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You have air trapped in the system. With the car cool, take the radiator cap off, start the car up and let the car start to warm up add more coolant as the level drops in the radiator.
Once the system is full, replace the radiator cap and continue to let the car get all the way warmed up then open the air bleeder valve to get the remainder of the air out.
I just went through this 2 months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?a.....gc6JQ2m_AM

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

DO NOT open the radiator cap when the engine is hot.
blwnss

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

lostwrench wrote:

why not ive done it quite a few times . Put a rag over the cap and open it very slow. Ive done it before and ill do it again . I did it a few weeks ago when i broke a coolant elbow .

05 Impala SS

\
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

blwnss wrote:
lostwrench wrote:

why not ive done it quite a few times . Put a rag over the cap and open it very slow. Ive done it before and ill do it again . I did it a few weeks ago when i broke a coolant elbow .

Coolant in the system is above atmospheric pressure, which raises the boiling point of the coolant.

If the coolant is beyond the point at which it would boil at atmospheric pressure, removing the cap would reduce the pressure to atmospheric, but the coolant would still be so hot it would instantly boil (evidenced by steam)

If the coolant is only slightly above atmospheric boiling temp, it's not a huge deal. The further above it goes, the more dangerous removing the rad cap becomes. It's just bad practice to suggest to someone who may not understand completely.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pimptight

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject:  what i was told Reply with quote

Redshiba wrote:
You have air trapped in the system. With the car cool, take the radiator cap off, start the car up and let the car start to warm up add more coolant as the level drops in the radiator.
Once the system is full, replace the radiator cap and continue to let the car get all the way warmed up then open the air bleeder valve to get the remainder of the air out.
I just went through this 2 months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?a.....gc6JQ2m_AM

i was told that i have a blockage in my radiator and its running 220 degress and after the thermostat opens up it runs 185 degress is that what it is suppose to do
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject:  rad Reply with quote

lets think. U put new water pump on and now the radiator is blocked hmmmm.
Lets start here - Did u have good heat before doing water pump? yes or no. Cool

pimptight

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject:  Re: rad Reply with quote

topgun wrote:
lets think. U put new water pump on and now the radiator is blocked hmmmm.
Lets start here - Did u have good heat before doing water pump? yes or no. Cool
yes i did thats why i told them to go to hell trying to charge me $650 for nothing all they did was get the air out the line and then gonna tell me that i need a radiator like i don't know nothing about my car i 've drove it 600 miles since they got the air out the line plus left it running for over and hour with the heater on and it never went past 195 degrees thats why i love this site no one on here is trying make fool out of you for no reason
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject:  water pump Reply with quote

A few things come to mind.
new water pump, new t-stat = no heat. In your first post u say its running hot. In your last post u say its at 195. Do u consider 195 to be running cold, hot, normal?
Even if u have blocked rad one of your heater hoses should be hot, water going into the heater core. It is possible to get a defective water pump. It is possible that a blockage could occur in the rad after doing a water pump depending on the condition of cooling system before hand. Maybe a lump of crud found its way into the rad.
After it's been running for 30 minutes how does lower rad hose feel compared to upper rad hose? Hang in ther and we will get u to an answer. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: