NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Exhaust recommendations
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Exhaust recommendations
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jumpman23_ss
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: Sep 02, 2012
Posts: 84
Posts per day: 0.04
Location: TEXAS

2004 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject:  Exhaust recommendations Reply with quote

Getting tired of my factory exhaust on my 04 impala ss. So I'm trying to see which set up will get me the loudest exhaust. Mainly trying to get just the mufflers, yes I'm going cheap. Since none of my friends/mechanics have ever put an aftermarket exhaust on this type of car I'm trying to see which will give me more bang for my buck. Any suggestions?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wingman520
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: Apr 15, 2008
Posts: 4127
Posts per day: 1.17
Location: Canton, Ohio

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject:  Re: Exhaust recommendations Reply with quote

jumpman23_ss wrote:
Getting tired of my factory exhaust on my 04 impala ss. So I'm trying to see which set up will get me the loudest exhaust. Mainly trying to get just the mufflers, yes I'm going cheap. Since none of my friends/mechanics have ever put an aftermarket exhaust on this type of car I'm trying to see which will give me more bang for my buck. Any suggestions?


loudest ones i've heard so far was ones that hotsauce had on his Indy SS which were hooker header (i think?) mufflers... had a decently loud tone to them sounded good with some small drone here and there

_________________
2006 Impala LTZ 105k- Dynomax Catback Exhaust, Overkilled by Will Wink

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 296
Posts per day: 0.12
Location: Greenfield, Wisconsin

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio


PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Psh.... You want loud? Just take off everything but the downpipe lol

But anyway, I don't really have experience with mufflers per say bit when I first got the impala, my friends and I stook a thrust glass pack on the end of the tailpipe with a nice tip. Pretty cheap... Like 30 bucks total. Very loud in my opinion.

However if you did this, make sure you can get the exhaust as close to the bumper as possible. If you think the glass pack is a silly idea, remember I was in my late 16s lol

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jumpman23_ss
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: Sep 02, 2012
Posts: 84
Posts per day: 0.04
Location: TEXAS

2004 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

TeenBeach wrote:
Psh.... You want loud? Just take off everything but the downpipe lol

But anyway, I don't really have experience with mufflers per say bit when I first got the impala, my friends and I stook a thrust glass pack on the end of the tailpipe with a nice tip. Pretty cheap... Like 30 bucks total. Very loud in my opinion.

However if you did this, make sure you can get the exhaust as close to the bumper as possible. If you think the glass pack is a silly idea, remember I was in my late 16s lol


Yeah that is pretty stupid. Haha. Well right now I do plan on going cheap but not that cheap. I don't want a straight down pipe I want a nice flow to it but still very loud.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
topgun
Resident
Resident


Joined: May 19, 2011
Posts: 639
Posts per day: 0.27
Location: Upstate N Y

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject:  exhaust Reply with quote

go with flowmaster for decent but driavable sound and put in an exhaust cut out. Cool

_________________
Untamed . . . and don't try to change me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Posts: 219
Posts per day: 0.1
Location: VT

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT


PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have a Dynomax catback on mine. Love it

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wingman520
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: Apr 15, 2008
Posts: 4127
Posts per day: 1.17
Location: Canton, Ohio

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had the gmpp catback on my impala which was basically a magnaflow muffler... Sounded Good. if you want, I have drive by videos on my youtube channel. Just look up my username I use on here

_________________
2006 Impala LTZ 105k- Dynomax Catback Exhaust, Overkilled by Will Wink

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.55
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject:  Re: Exhaust recommendations Reply with quote

Wingman520 wrote:

loudest ones i've heard so far was ones that hotsauce had on his Indy SS which were hooker header (i think?) mufflers... had a decently loud tone to them sounded good with some small drone here and there


Hotsauce did have Hooker Mufflers on his Impala. They were loud as hell and I believe he ended up replacing them because they were too loud. If you want loud, those are probably your best bet. Flowmasters are also loud for the sake of being loud. If you want something you can actually live with, I'd recommend Magnaflow. They have a nice rumble at idle and roar when you are on it, but are pretty much drone free.

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patyson
Resident
Resident


Joined: May 19, 2011
Posts: 652
Posts per day: 0.27
Location: Richmond,Va.

2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject:  Re: Exhaust recommendations Reply with quote

Wingman520 wrote:
jumpman23_ss wrote:
Getting tired of my factory exhaust on my 04 impala ss. So I'm trying to see which set up will get me the loudest exhaust. Mainly trying to get just the mufflers, yes I'm going cheap. Since none of my friends/mechanics have ever put an aftermarket exhaust on this type of car I'm trying to see which will give me more bang for my buck. Any suggestions?


loudest ones i've heard so far was ones that hotsauce had on his Indy SS which were hooker header (i think?) mufflers... had a decently loud tone to them sounded good with some small drone here and there


I have a set of "hotsauces" old mufflers,although he did have Hooker Maxflows...these are SLP Power-Flo's. I have not installed them yet,however,as I'm waiting for warmer weather and need to get a ZZP downpipe.

Here is his initial PM to me regarding the sale; (I don't think he'd mind my posting it)

"Ill give you a brief background on them. I bought a brand new SLP cat back in 2007. The whole kit cost $600. 2 months later I hit a deer on the interstate and I went off the side of the road and how i slid off the road, it pushed the exhaust back into the car bending the pipes, but the tips and mufflers where fine.
I ordered a whole new kit and told the car repair place to keep the mufflers and tips for a discount repair price. That was in 2007.

I had to move to Durham NC to get my daughter some treatment from a genetic disease. Long story short, she was 18 months old and passed away down there.

So I sold my red impala that had the SLP kit on it last year.

So when I went to get my new exhaust on, I saw some mufflers that looked just like my old ones i gave to the repair shop. And finds out they were. He gave them to the muffler place and they never used them, let them sit on a shelf. So I asked him if he would trade me the SLPs for the old Hooker maxflow ones. And he said yes, so now I have them.

Sorry about that...

I would say they have 4k miles on them, but they have been in a shop all dusty since them. I did clean them up but there are some rust spots on them. I can take pictures to show you. But they clean up amazingly.

First, i dont think you can buy these without buying the kit. I bought them because they look amazing, they are polished stainless steel and sounded great. The interior of the mufflers look barely used. Flowmasters are loud and full of drone, these have a good deep sound and look great, with the hangers already welded on. The kit had 2.5 mandrel bent pipes, so they should be pretty easy to weld up.

You can ask any guy here, the SLP Powerflos are great. Whitelighting has them and loves them. I have alot of pictures of when they were on the car and plenty of sound clips."

_________________
2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dan
Uber
Uber


Joined: Jun 20, 2009
Posts: 971
Posts per day: 0.31
Location: Problemo?

1991 Jeep Cherokee


PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Cat straight to boom tube. Won't get much louder than that.

_________________
I love cheeseburgers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wingman520
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: Apr 15, 2008
Posts: 4127
Posts per day: 1.17
Location: Canton, Ohio

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject:  Re: Exhaust recommendations Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Wingman520 wrote:

loudest ones i've heard so far was ones that hotsauce had on his Indy SS which were hooker header (i think?) mufflers... had a decently loud tone to them sounded good with some small drone here and there


Hotsauce did have Hooker Mufflers on his Impala. They were loud as hell and I believe he ended up replacing them because they were too loud. If you want loud, those are probably your best bet. Flowmasters are also loud for the sake of being loud. If you want something you can actually live with, I'd recommend Magnaflow. They have a nice rumble at idle and roar when you are on it, but are pretty much drone free.


yeah i was behind him when we had a cruise for the 2nd cinci meet and they were massive drone and loud as all heck...

_________________
2006 Impala LTZ 105k- Dynomax Catback Exhaust, Overkilled by Will Wink

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blwnss
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Feb 06, 2013
Posts: 25
Posts per day: 0.01


2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo


PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

don't put a loud exhaust on these 3800s, they sound like s**t , now a gn sounds good or an Australian 3800 but with the crossover it makes them sound bad. please no loud exhaust.



Also as an fyi i had headers , no cat and the stock cat-back with a vs cam and it wasn't loud at all . couldn't even tell it was done . So the cat will have to be changed to make it a little louder but they really sound crappy when loud.

_________________
04 Dale Jr MCSS

05 Impala SS

\
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.55
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

blwnss wrote:
don't put a loud exhaust on these 3800s, they sound like s**t , now a gn sounds good or an Australian 3800 but with the crossover it makes them sound bad. please no loud exhaust.


I agree with you, but sadly others do not. A 3800 sounds great with something like Borla or Magnaflow exhaust components, everything else just sounds raspy to me.

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wingman520
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: Apr 15, 2008
Posts: 4127
Posts per day: 1.17
Location: Canton, Ohio

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
blwnss wrote:
don't put a loud exhaust on these 3800s, they sound like s**t , now a gn sounds good or an Australian 3800 but with the crossover it makes them sound bad. please no loud exhaust.


I agree with you, but sadly others do not. A 3800 sounds great with something like Borla or Magnaflow exhaust components, everything else just sounds raspy to me.


have you heard the corsa exhaust? Always wanted to know how exhaust sounds

_________________
2006 Impala LTZ 105k- Dynomax Catback Exhaust, Overkilled by Will Wink

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blwnss
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Feb 06, 2013
Posts: 25
Posts per day: 0.01


2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo


PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ive never heard a corsa .

_________________
04 Dale Jr MCSS

05 Impala SS

\
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: December 15, 2017, 6:10:52 am
Page Generation: 0.15 Seconds ( SQL 45:144 in 0.02 Seconds )