NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - UIM/LIM questions
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

UIM/LIM questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drew7997
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject:  UIM/LIM questions Reply with quote

All,
I am burning through about five quarts in about 3000-4000 miles.
I am assuming the UIM/LIM gaskets need replaced. I will be following the 3800 (L36) Lower Intake Gasket Replacement instructions.
http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....amp;pid=16
One question I have is how is the engine burning the oil if the LIM is leaking? Wait. I think I just figured it out typing this.
The oil is in the bottom half of engine: the oil is seeping past the gasket into the Intake which is for air, then the oil is burned and out the exhaust… right?

Another question I have is are there any other items worth replacing while in there. My IMP is a 2005 3.8L with 111948. Money is no option here, but don’t go overboard on me.  My initial thought was the valve cover gaskets. How much harder would it be to replace those if I have already torn apart for the UIM/LIM?

Thank you all for the advise and special instructions!
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.32

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

5 quarts between oil changes? I could be wrong, but I doubt that's the LIM. I'd assume you have more issues than manifold gaskets.

Given how cheap 3.8 motors are, I'd consider dropping in a used one.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.12

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Your correct about burning oil, if your loosing this much though that's pretty serious. Is your exhaust smoke blue? Is there a lot of oil soot coating the inside of your tailpipe? Also check your coolant, it's possible your oil is seeping into your coolant also. I recommend a full flush, like through the heater core.

Ummm on the top of my head I would change the pvc, both valve covers, fuel injector o rings, Mabye new injectors if you never had, spark plugs and wires will also be so much easier with the top end off. Possibly a throttle body gasket... Uhh that's all I can think of. Make sure you change your oil and coolant!

Oh and both coolant elbows. I suggest the revised aluninum ones. All this would be available on rockauto.com

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject:  oil use Reply with quote

Dude, 5 quarts in 3 - 4 thousand miles. That is beyond excessive. In over twenty years of fixing cars I have not heard of that being possible without some major visable sign of smoke or leak. You must have a blue fog cloud following you or an oil trail on the ground. And, if its all going in the cooling system, I am surprised your still driving it. Cool

drew7997
Cadet
Cadet

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ok ok- maybe more like 3 qts in 3000. but it feels like 5!
I fill it with 3.5 QTs during changes and the oil light turns on after 3000 that it is low.

I like the recommendations, however- I have backflushed the heater core and all block within the past 10,000 as the radiator was plugged (thanks dexcool)
I have replaced plug and wires. No blue exhaust

Aluminum ones- Got it- thank you. I think I did thr PVC at time of plugs due to me breaking it but if not- I'll replace it thank you.
NO problems changing coolant and oil. I did the timing belt on my Xterra- lengthy, but not difficult.

nothing in the cooling system (I'd assume it would be milky white just like the old green stuff.... right?
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.32

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm almost postive the oil fill value is 4.5 quarts. If I'm remembering right, then you are consistently running your engine short on oil, by a pretty considerable amount.

The problem is, once your car runs low on oil, it's likely to continue consuming oil, and the issue is cumulative.

Burning even 3 quarts between changes is pretty excessive. With low oil levels come increased wear to moving engine components, which invites oil blow-by and as a result, oil burn-off.

Seriously, a used, low mileage L36 can be had for a couple hundred bucks. It's something to consider.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

After getting back home and reading your post again... I would 200 percent agree with the others. That is was to much to be loosing by 3000 miles.

As the others have said, buy a used 3.8... I bought mine for my project for 264. Not sure one the miles thought, but it came out of a running car at a junkyard.

Good Luck...

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.61

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
I'm almost postive the oil fill value is 4.5 quarts. If I'm remembering right, then you are consistently running your engine short on oil, by a pretty considerable amount.

You are 100% correct. A 3800 needs 4.5 quarts of fresh oil for an oil change.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

drew7997 wrote:
Ok ok- maybe more like 3 qts in 3000. but it feels like 5!
I fill it with 3.5 QTs during changes and the oil light turns on after 3000 that it is low.

Normal consumption spec for most manufacturers is around 1-1.25qt/1000mi. Since you're not putting enough oil in anyway, you might have an acceptable-level situation there. Do a consumption test. That'd be an oil change, then drain and measure after 1000 miles. You'll figure it out.

On the other side of it, your manifold gaskets are probably crap, valve covers leaking, and oil pan leaking. 90% of 3800s I see need those items serviced. If you can change a Nissan timing belt, you can handle that.

drew7997
Cadet
Cadet

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

OK so some sleep goes along way. Work 2 jobs and only 5-6 hours a night of sleep. I have forgotten alot over the past year! Smile
I do put 4.5 qts in. (I leave 1 qt in the 5.5 qt jug)
Also- my last change that I have written down was at 102054 but I think that I did an oil change since then before the winter hit.

Anyway-
Through the use of sleep, I remembered that I do have an oil pan leak as I tried tightening the bolts up a tad.
SO: new question- I couldn't get to one of the oil pan bolts due to the engine mount.
What is the process for removing said oilpan?
I am still going ahead and replacing the UIM/LIM. Might as well since I'll be dirty.

Thanks al.

Last edited by drew7997 on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.94

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

To answer the other question, vavle covers is a good idea shen doing LIM too. Its much easier to get to the rear one with everything removed and is very cheap insurance for later

Member Level
Member Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

For the oil pan, you need to either lift the engine a few inches or drop the rear of the subframe a few inches.. Pretty time consuming and not much fun.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
topgun
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject:  oil use Reply with quote

And, if the engine is burning that much oil it is thru the valve seals and piston rings. Used engine maybe the way to go. Do a compression test on yours. It will tell you a lot. Cool

TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pretty much do a compression test and check the spark plugs. That should give you a good indication whether to buy a used engine or not. If your compression is fine though, I honestly would just pull the engine. It's quite easy if your organized and label. Get engine gasket rebuild kit or just stick with oil pan gasket and the top end stuff. This is just what I would do.

Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject:  oil use Reply with quote

Teen Beach - You state 'If your compression is fine though, I honestly would just pull the engine'. A confusing statement. Why pull engine if compression is fine? If oil use can be attributed to poor valve seals and just cylinder head work is required why not just do that. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: