NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - p0446.....
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

p0446.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.53

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject:  p0446..... Reply with quote

I got this code 2 weeks ago erased it it came back next day. So I replaced vent valve, was good for 2 weeks then came back?, what do I do now.... replace again or has anyone else had this? Should I replace the purge valve? Thanks for the help.

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
2007SSImpala
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.13

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2012 Chevrolet Cruze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Basically the purge solenoid on the engine applies vacuum to the evap system while the vent valve is commanded closed by the PCM. Once the specified vacuum by the PCM is achieved, the purge solenoid closes and the vent valve is commanded open. The PCM must see a near 0 Hg drop in a certain amount of time, if it doesnt, this code will set the MIL light.

So basically, I would check for restrictions in the evap system. Most of the time the evap canister is contaminated with gasoline. This will cause the vacuum to drop too slowly, giving you this restriction and setting the P0446.

Also, I see the hoses coming from the vent valve clogged with dirt buildup, setting this DTC as well. I have also seen purge valves cause this DTC to set because the valve inside doesnt open and close all the way. But normally a "uncommanded system purge" code will set also.

Looks like you got some fun on your hands. Hope this guides you in the right direction.

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ill try replacing the vent valve again under warranty, then ill try the other options thanks or the help.....hopefully it goes well and its just faulty.

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:

Tow Truck?
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Couldn't this be gas-cap related?

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
2007SSImpala
Dedicated
Dedicated

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2012 Chevrolet Cruze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If the gas cap was leaking. we would definitely have a P0455 or for a slight leaking cap a P0442. those two codes are EVAP leaks. The P0446 is a "vent system circuit low" code. Either you have faulty vent system components that control vent flow or you have a restriction preventing flow.

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Already got the gas cap code lol fixed that with new cap. Replaced with vent valve again under warranty still no go, gonna do purge valve (whole throttle body), tomorrow and see what happens, I'm starting to think i have a bad PCM or BCM that might be contributing to this.

I got a new fuel pump and had to "wire" in a new plug would this have anything to do with the low circuit of the vent valve system? it should be a completely different "circuit" right.....

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:

Tow Truck?
2007SSImpala
Dedicated
Dedicated

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2012 Chevrolet Cruze

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well, don't throw parts at it man. A stuck closed purge valve could cause this. But test it first. Pull it off. It should be closed 'when you take it off. You should not be able to blow through either end. If you can, replace it. See if you can run some wires from the battery to the terminal pins on the purge valve, Try both ways with the wires until you get the valve to open, it will not short the valve out. If you can apply power to the valve (while blowing throught it at the same time) and it opens, its working normally. you should be able to blow through it pretty good. Update us.......

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2007SSImpala wrote:
Well, don't throw parts at it man. A stuck closed purge valve could cause this. But test it first. Pull it off. It should be closed 'when you take it off. You should not be able to blow through either end. If you can, replace it. See if you can run some wires from the battery to the terminal pins on the purge valve, Try both ways with the wires until you get the valve to open, it will not short the valve out. If you can apply power to the valve (while blowing throught it at the same time) and it opens, its working normally. you should be able to blow through it pretty good. Update us.......

picked up a purge valve today ill put it in tomorrow if its as nice as it was today, ill update tomorrow if mine is shot (blow through it when off).....your full of info you got anything for my other issue?? lol

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:

Tow Truck?
riverwalk100
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.23

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject:  ok Reply with quote

Make sure you dont have a vacuum leak. I had the same code and found a vacuum leak fixed it light is out and no problems

habermehl
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject:  Re: ok Reply with quote

riverwalk100 wrote:
Make sure you dont have a vacuum leak. I had the same code and found a vacuum leak fixed it light is out and no problems

How did you find it?

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:

Tow Truck?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: