NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Looking for a spark plug wire install tips and how-to?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Looking for a spark plug wire install tips and how-to?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bri2001
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Chevrolet Camaro
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle
2002 Chevrolet Tahoe
1965 Plymouth Fury
1989 Dodge Dakota

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Question Looking for a spark plug wire install tips and how-to? Reply with quote

I'm sure there's a how-to on here but I did several searches and didn't find it. I'm replacing the plugs and wires on my 3.4L and the ones on the firewall side look very difficult to get to. What's the best way to get to them?
I think with 132K on the original plugs and wires it's about time to replace them Very Happy

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I don't know if the 3400 has the same engine mount system as the 3800.

On the 3800 there are two large bolts in the dogbones that you can remove. This allows you to tip the engine forward. There is a second notch/hole in one of the dogbones/mounts that allows you to pass the bolt through while the engine is tipped forward. This gets you some extra working room. The plugs will be difficult to remove because of the rubber insulators and the aluminum shields. Just keep at it and eventually they'll work loose.

Of course, the 3400 may not be the same. but I bet the plugs will be close to, if not just as difficult to remove - especially given their age.

If I recall right, there may have been some suggestions to try removing them from below. I'm not sure how this would work since they are angled upwards, and I never tried it when I changed my plugs and wires.

In my knowledge, there's never been a how-to on the process, since it's pretty straightforward. The only catch is that removing the plugs/wires is easier said than done (mainly in the rear bank of cylinders)

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The 3400 isn't that hard to work on, I usually secure the engine forward with some mechanic's wire (aka coat hanger) because it takes way too long to bother with that extra bolt hole that isn't always there. Then I spend the rest of the day yelling about how much I hate working on domestics and pop a Heiney cause I'm a douchebag.

I hear if you tip the engine too far you can f#ck up the trans lines but I've never seen a problem. Just relax and it'll go fine. You don't need to go all He-Man on the plugs btw, spec is like 18 ft-lbs or just about good and snug.

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Make sure you have a few extensions of various lengths and at least one universal joint. I had to get creative when I did mine on the Monte Carlo (3800 engine) but they both suck.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
SuperImpala00
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Question Re: Looking for a spark plug wire install tips and how-to? Reply with quote

Bri2001 wrote:
I'm sure there's a how-to on here but I did several searches and didn't find it. I'm replacing the plugs and wires on my 3.4L and the ones on the firewall side look very difficult to get to. What's the best way to get to them?
I think with 132K on the original plugs and wires it's about time to replace them Very Happy

simple, get a foam pad to place on top of the engine for cushioning, remove the coil and hoist your big arse on top of the motor and get them from right on top. best way I've found yet, it's a little more intensive but easier than trying to tilt the motor forward, barely helps if any.
Bri2001
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Chevrolet Camaro
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle
2002 Chevrolet Tahoe
1965 Plymouth Fury
1989 Dodge Dakota

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks, are there only the two bolts in front holding the coil bracket?

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Bri2001 wrote:
Thanks, are there only the two bolts in front holding the coil bracket?

yes, be sure to disconnect all the plugs going into it, hate to hear that you pull up on the coil only to snap stuff.
Frank4202
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.75

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Question Re: Looking for a spark plug wire install tips and how-to? Reply with quote

SuperImpala00 wrote:
Bri2001 wrote:

simple, get a foam pad to place on top of the engine for cushioning, remove the coil and hoist your big arse on top of the motor and get them from right on top. best way I've found yet, it's a little more intensive but easier than trying to tilt the motor forward, barely helps if any.

Exactly what I did when doing my head gasket job.
I would suggest to remove and replace each wire one at a time. That way, you can match each wire to proper length and run it neatly.

Sold 28/10/11
Bri2001
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Chevrolet Camaro
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle
2002 Chevrolet Tahoe
1965 Plymouth Fury
1989 Dodge Dakota

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds good, thanks for the tips. Hopefully I don't have to mess with tilting the engine. I got up on the engine last night and I can at least get my hand on every plug wire without removing the coil, so once I remove it I should be able to get the job done. Thanks guys! Impala

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

my 2 cents 2 Cents

Tilting the motor is very little effort and it does give enough room that Universal joints are not needed for the back plugs on a 3.4.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: