NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - HDTV's
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

HDTV's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptrfair
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.14

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject:  HDTV's Reply with quote

Hi!! I know I've been MIA since selling the SS, but I still read and catch up with NAIOA.

Anyway, I need to update my man cave with a new HDTV, the flat panel tube tv has dated itself, and its just done.

Any suggestions? I've seen Samsung to be better in video quality, but Im not brand loyal, Im quality loyal.

Range: anywhere around $500 and under
Up to a 42" will fit in the space for the TV
I'd love to have the ability to connect to my surround system. It has a digital cable input I have no idea what that does.

Thanks all!! Happy new Year.

2007 Impala SS - 75k
2009 Acura TL - 25k - Its nice Smile
2003 Impala 3400 - Gone, Still in the family
j_weezy
Dedicated
Dedicated
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.13

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

well is this mancave a darker room?if so plasma all the way no better picture.panasonic is the best for plasma.if its a brighter room plasma dosent work cause the light washes out the picture and since it is a glass screen it is reflective.in that case i would go led and i consider samsung to be of top quality for led.
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.44

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ok here's the consistent advice given me by AV pros in INDEPENDENT AV stores:
Plasma is better than LCD in two ways:
1: colour rendition is actually more accurate despite the LCD picture looking better in the store. LCDs are bad at rendering whites without washing the adjacent colours and their colours while they look nice and colourful and vibrant in the store actually have less accurate colour than plasma. The word usually used for plasma colour is "natural". But there will be settings for several colour modes on both.
2: refresh rate. Plasmas are 600 Hz. LCDs are 60, 120 or 240 Hz depending on what you wannna spend. Fast moving objects like race cars break apart in thin horizontal strips on larger LCDs. Maybe not so much if it's 240 Hz. Anyone I know who has bought anything but Samsung or LG plasmas have thrown them out due to failure. LCD I think is more reliable. If you buy Samsung Plasma, stay 5000 series or higher.

LCDs use less power than plasma, especially if LED lit(more money) and are easier viewed than plasma if there's too much natural light allowed in the room. For my purposes, it's not enough to tip me to LCD if over 37".

You want actual 1080p capability. 1080i is imitation HD. HDTV programming is only 720p but bluray and PS3 and Xbox360 and Wii are 1080p.

I don't know anything about 3D. That's your choice.

Make sure you see that it has all the settings you need, like the various picture size adjustments for one. That's part of why I said to stay 5000 series or higher if Samsung. As for contrast ratio, the higher the better. Try to get the highest you can afford.

As for buying it, might I suggest a closeout dealer? I found a local plce via Kijiji that sells stuff from stores that went out of business and stuff that's refurbs from the manufacturer. I have bought 2 50" plasmas there and they are fine. I even get the factory warranty. It is way cheaper than walmart and costco. If you go to a big box like Breast Buy, you won't meet experts. They talk a big game but they just sell and only know what corporate wants them to say. The independent guys I deal with own the store, and go to do the installs themselves because that's their trade. Those are the guys who know what they're doing.

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

madbrad wrote:
Anyone I know who has bought anything but Samsung or LG plasmas have thrown them out due to failure.

Agreed on your points other than this one.

I opted to buy plasma 4 years ago when it was time for a big screen and I bought a Panasonic Viera 50". It's only a 720p, but I don't use blueray or pay for HDTV. Just watch a bit of everything on TV and play Xbox 360. Never had any issues with burn-in. Color and contrast are great.

My biggest complaint? It puts off a fair bit of heat, and it's close to the thermostat for the house. This causes the house to be a bit cool because it's always warmer at the thermostat than anywhere else.

OP: if you do decide to buy an LCD/LED, buy a reputable brand. You do get what you pay for.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
blacknome
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Astro
1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had been researching this myself for a couple months hoping to pick up a good deal on black friday or boxing day. Finally pulled the trigger on a 40" LED Toshiba just last night. I paid $ 399.00 from Best Buy as the top end of my budget I set was $500 taxes-in.

Also short-listed were an LCD 42" Panasonic $ 449, and a 42" LCD LG $399.
All 3 are HD TV's, 1080p or 1080i and within my budget

My TV sits in a front room with a big window and Southern Exposure ( hence why I went with the LCD /LED over the Plasma ). If the room was darker then Plasma likely would have been my choice because you can get a larger TV with the same features for less money .

When I set the new TV up last night I used the coaxial cable that was originally used with the old tv and HD box. I was not impressed at all. When I swapped out that coaxial cable to an HDMI cable ( from the HD box to the set ) the difference was very noticable ( 720i to 1080i ) so keep that in mind if HD is new to you.

Looking at all 3 tvs on display and researching for the last 3 weeks they all got between 3.8-4.2 our of 5 in consumer rating from the sites I checked. They all have the same 1 year warrenty and within $50 of eachother in price.

The one and only reason I picked the Toshiba is that I can "make" it fit in my current TV cabinet and the other 2 would require a new cabinet to be purchased. The fact that its an LED tv is just a bonus.

good luck !
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
madbrad wrote:
Anyone I know who has bought anything but Samsung or LG plasmas have thrown them out due to failure.

Agreed on your points other than this one.

Same here. I've been using my 42" Panasonic Plasma for just over 4 years now with no sign of any trouble. When I was shopping for TVs, the consensus at the time was if you want a plasma you get a Panasonic as everything else was junk at the time.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
HeMi
Guru
Guru
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.12

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala
2015 Dodge Ram
2017 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have a 42" LG LCD and a 55" Samsung plasma. So far the Plasma Samsung has never had a problem in 3 years, but luckily the 5 year in-home Warrenty has paid for 3 repairs on our 42" LG LCD. Has had 2 new "motherboards" and a new LCD panel put in it in the 5 years we've owned it. On picture Quality though, Iunno what to tell you, both Tv's were bought for Different Rooms/environments and have served their purposes well. So far though, The poor Plasma hasn't like being left on News networks compared to the LCD, but nothing has burnt in permantly on the Samsung Plasma yet even after 5+ hours of sitting on a channel with Stationary logos/Tickers. I HAVE noticed that the poor CCFL has become pretty DIM on the LCD in those 5 years , but as MOST LCD are now LED driven backlight, I don't think that should be of concern to you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: