NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - few odd problems
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

few odd problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsbrewers
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject:  few odd problems Reply with quote

Hey all, I have a few questions on my wife's '05 LS.

First thing that we noticed was that the cruise would just randomly shut off. then at the same time, the speedo would jump around. Typically the cruise would shut off, the speedo would drop about 20mph, then go back to where it was supposed to. This has been getting worse. Normally it would happen once every 50 miles, now it is happening about once a mile, and the speedo is getting crazier.

We also noticed that when you are decelerating, the heater blower slows down, then when you start accelerating again it speeds up.

My gut says they are all related and probably is a bad connection at the battery, but the battery is brand new and I triple checked the connections are tight. When I test the new battery it is sitting about 12.5 so I *think* it is ok, and charging ok.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Brew
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.24

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My cruise control went out and there were a few other things like fickering radio and headlights. Somebody on this forum suggested the cruise control problem was related to my ignition switch... I don't know exactly why this problem happened or how the ignition switch has an effect on it but I changed it and it fixed my cruise control. Im not sure what your issue is but this is all I know right now.

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
tsbrewers
Cadet
Cadet

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks, I have heard that is a problem on some cars, so I "jiggled" the key around a few times as I was driving it and nothing happened. Not that it really means much, but it didn't act like it was the problem.
EricJ
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.24

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Ford Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Interesting; our dash flickered as well. I rarely used the cruise in it but my wife did. could never tell when the dash would do it again.

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject:  Re: few odd problems Reply with quote

tsbrewers wrote:
When I test the new battery it is sitting about 12.5 so I *think* it is ok, and charging ok.
A good battery should be sitting at 12.75 volts. When I check my battery in the morning, it's sitting at 12.78 volts, & that's at the wiring in the trunk. GARY

tsbrewers
Cadet
Cadet

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ok, the 12.5 was kinda from memory. It probably was closer to 12.7. I also checked when the car was running and I got *about* 14.5 so I am assuming the alternator is good too.

we drove it yesterday and it seemed fine for half the day, then it started acting up again. Odd part is we didn't notice the blower speed changing at all during the day.

Only other thing that *could* tie in, is the weather. It was very cold here the day it was really acting funny. (about -5*) Yesterday it was warmer (25*) when the car was working ok, then got colder later in the day and the car got weird again (8*) Probably completely unrelated, but worth noting.

Brew
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.66

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject:  Re: few odd problems Reply with quote

[quote="tsbrewers"]
First thing that we noticed was that the cruise would just randomly shut off. then at the same time, the speedo would jump around. Typically the cruise would shut off, the speedo would drop about 20mph, then go back to where it was supposed to. This has been getting worse. Normally it would happen once every 50 miles, now it is happening about once a mile, and the speedo is getting crazier.[quote]

This part of your problem sounds like a bad stepper motor. It's pretty common on these cars for the motor to go bad and the needle stops displaying any useful information.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
tsbrewers
Cadet
Cadet

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

could the stepper motor cause the cruise problems? I am almost positive both problems are related since both work perfect.. until they don't. Then both are screwy at the same time.

I did replace them about 4 years ago, so it is possible that the speedo one is bad again too. If the stepper motor goes bad, and the speedo bounces around, can the computer sense this and turn off the cruise?

How about a speed sensor somewhere, on the tranny or on the abs hubs?
tsbrewers
Cadet
Cadet

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ok, now she reports that the radio also starts getting quiet and louder while she is stopped, like a streetlight. So there is something funky going on there.

I think I am going to swap out batteries, I have a regal with a new battery, and we just replaced hers, so maybe we got a bad one. That is about the time it seemed to start acting up and would make sense.

Brew
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

tsbrewers wrote:
Ok, now she reports that the radio also starts getting quiet and louder while she is stopped, like a streetlight. So there is something funky going on there.

I think I am going to swap out batteries, I have a regal with a new battery, and we just replaced hers, so maybe we got a bad one. That is about the time it seemed to start acting up and would make sense.

Brew

You might have a funky voltage regulator on the alternator. It won't act up till it gets hot. Check the voltage from the alternator after its driven for a while you might see it drop off below 13.5 which is the minimum. That and check your ground cables, one of those could have a bad connection.
tsbrewers
Cadet
Cadet

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

thanks, I really think it is in the charging circuit somewhere. We pulled in to the garage tonight, turned on everything we could, lights, radio, dome lights, etc. and noticed when we gave it a little gas while idling, everything was fine, but once we took our foot off the accelerator, everything would dim for a couple seconds, then come back.

anyone have a link that shows where all the grounds are? I cleaned up the one by the battery today before we took it out for a test drive, but didn't have time to dig for all them.

I am thinking about swapping the batteries tomorrow too. Since this all seems really odd that it happened right about the time I replaced the battery.

Brew
impala2k
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.19

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hey brewers did you ever figure this out? I seem to be running into the same issues. I put in a new battery like 6 months give or take ago. I too have dimming issues when letting off gas everything dims/slows down and then picks back up. My speedo ust started doing something funky, it doesn't seem to work quiter right, it seems to be a bit behind the actual speed, because when i am completely stopped it seems to keep going down to 0. Accel seems ok once i get to like 10mph , but decel is slow.

Cadet
Cadet

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I think so. I replaced the vss and it seemed to fix the cruise and speedo problems. her fan was really speeding up and slowing down when you accelerated and stopped. Then just finally quit working. Found out it was a bad connection between the regulator and fan blower. Not sure how or why, but I took it apart, slopped some dialectic grease in the connectors and put back together. Fan has been working fine since.

Also replaced the alternator and battery around the same time.

So anyway, not sure if this helps, but it seems to have fixed my problems.

Brew
impala2k
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.19

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

tsbrewers wrote:
I think so. I replaced the vss and it seemed to fix the cruise and speedo problems. her fan was really speeding up and slowing down when you accelerated and stopped. Then just finally quit working. Found out it was a bad connection between the regulator and fan blower. Not sure how or why, but I took it apart, slopped some dialectic grease in the connectors and put back together. Fan has been working fine since.

Also replaced the alternator and battery around the same time.

So anyway, not sure if this helps, but it seems to have fixed my problems.

Brew

I think once I get tax return I will replace alternator ust to have peace of mind, and hopefully that will help the dimming issues. The speedo issue I have, is that maybe I am just crazy. I guess I have never really paid attention to the decel, accel seems to be normal, and I have never watched the speedo when going under like 10 mph, so I may as well be crazy. But am gonna get a gps to compare speed just in case. Also whats a vss? The dimming problem is the worst though. Any little thing I do, rear defrost, power windows. I guess the alternator is factory, and 13 years old and has 110k miles on it. Replacing it I will be.

Cadet
Cadet

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The vss is the vehicle speed sensor. There are two on the car, one on the transmission and one on the passenger side drive axle housing. I replaced the one on the passenger side drive axle. I believe it is the output one.

The alternator would be a good guess, I would have it tested first though, it isn't a cheap part if yours is still working.

Brew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: