NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - New exhaust new member new problems
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

New exhaust new member new problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dylanwalsh

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject:  New exhaust new member new problems Reply with quote

Hey guys its my first post, ive been snooping around here for a while now and this is my first post
i have a 2003 chevy impala base 3400 with a 9 inch spectre intake
as a little xmas present to my car i was going to get a Dynomax ultra flow muffler (dont have the money for a full system just yet) when i get the full system i was going to step up from the stock 2.25 to 2.5... the muffler i was looking at is a 2.5 inlet/outlet the question is what is the easiest way to connect it

i would like to use clamps as i intend on eventually changing my entire exhaust out for 2.5, dynomax makes lap joint clamps for pipes that ove rlap but to my understanding the smaller diameter of these clamps is a 1/8th inch step down... does anyone know if that is correct? it took alot of searching numerous forums and im not sure if i even believe it and if so could i still buy a 2.25 and tighten it all the way in the back and halfway in the front????????????

what would you do?

also any suggestions on mufflers, i haven't found a sound clip of the ultra flo oval shaped exhaust on this year impala. Any opinions? how does dynomax treat their customers etc etc etc?

oh yea,,, HI GUYS IM DYLAN Very Happy
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.58

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

welcome!!

Are you looking to go dual exhaust in the future? If so, get a 2.25" muffler and when you upgrade later, go with a pair of 2.25" mufflers. Run 2.5" pipe from cat to the Y for the split rear and use 2.25" after the Y for the mufflers.

If you are staying single and plan on upgrading later on, Id hold off with the muffler upgrade till you do the whole system.

If it were me, Id stay away from any mods that will be replaced with other mods in the near future. Just a waste of cash. Why spend $90 on a muffler, $30 in assorted clamps / adapters, $15 for a clamp on hanger and $30 for a halfway decent tip. You are closing in on $200 for a temporary mod. For $400, you can have a complete Dynomax catback system.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Intermediate mods are generally not worth spending on.

What is your ultimate goal for the exhaust...

Single vs dual outlet?
Loud or quiet?
New or used?
Price point?
DIY, or shop install?

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dylanwalsh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Im looking for a DIY maximum preformance exhaust, sound doesn't quite matter... if its too loud i can always get a nice resonated exhaust... and by the end ill probably fab my own pipes thats why i figured buying the muffler now couldn't hurt

Is there a better alternative for Hp gain? Pre-formance cat? u-bend delete? what part of the exhaust would you start with?
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.64

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There is little to no power to be gained with modifying the exhaust on these cars. The u-bed might be good for a few horespower, but it's not something you are going to notice. IMO exhaust mods (aside from a power log) on this platform are strictly for looks and sound.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
dylanwalsh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What is the best power mod? iyo?
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.64

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

For the 3400? A tune from Overkill and that's pretty much all I would even consider. The power/dollar ratio on that motor is pretty bad.

http://getoverkilled.ca/3400.html

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.58

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

it takes a lot of cash to get a 3400 to perform. If you are dead set on an Impala, Id look into buying an SS.

If you really want to keep the 3400, check out http://www.milzymotorsports.com/

Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Best bang for your buck performance mod:

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
dylanwalsh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

the supercharger or the motor
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The pair. The text below is from Wikipedia, mostly linked for the vehicles this motor can be pulled from. It's pretty widely available and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but boasts a 60 horsepower gain over the engine you have now.

There is some computer work involved in making the L67 work in a car that didn't come with it, but other members here are much better versed in what needs to be done.

From Wikipedia:
The L67 is the supercharged version of the 3800 Series II L36 and appeared in 1996, one year after the normally aspirated version. It uses the Eaton Generation III M90 supercharger with a 3.8" pulley, a larger throttle body, fuel injectors, cylinder heads, and lower intake manifold than the L36 uses. Both engines share the same engine blocks, but compression is reduced from 9.4:1 in the L36 to 8.5:1 for the L67. Power is up to 240 hp (180 kW) and a somewhat under-rated 280 lbft (380 Nm) of torque (real output is estimated at about 310 lbft (420 Nm)). Despite being an all iron engine, it is surprisingly light weighing only 392 lb (178 kg). Final drive ratios are reduced in most applications, for better fuel economy and more use of the engine's torque in the low range. Like most 3800 V6s, the engine is well known for its reliability and low maintenance costs. The engine is a popular choice for aftermarket modification thanks to its very strong internals and impressive power gains from basic upgrades. The engine was built in Flint, Michigan and was certified LEV in 2001.

As with the previous generation, premium fuel (91 octane or higher) is required. The engine can run on 87 or 89 octane fuel, however the ECM will pull significant ignition timing to protect the engine from knock/detonation; this results in a significant loss of power. This engine was used in the following cars:

19962005 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
1997.52004 Buick Regal GS / GSE / GSX (SLP)
19961999 Buick Riviera (optional 1996-97, std. 1998-99)
20042005 Chevrolet Impala SS
20042005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Supercharged/Intimidator SS
19961999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LSS (limited)
19962003 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
19972003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / GTX (SLP)
19962004 Holden Commodore VS (series II), VT, VX, VY

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SuperImpala00
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

dylanwalsh wrote:
Im looking for a DIY maximum preformance exhaust, sound doesn't quite matter... if its too loud i can always get a nice resonated exhaust... and by the end ill probably fab my own pipes thats why i figured buying the muffler now couldn't hurt

Is there a better alternative for Hp gain? Pre-formance cat? u-bend delete? what part of the exhaust would you start with?

I'd say if you have the patience and are willing to learn, the 3400 can be made to perform. Check out 60degreeV6.com and ask those guys their opinions. I plan on upgrading my exhaust to duals as well as an intake and maybe putting a little bit more wilder cam in it. It can be done, just takes the know how. Going the supercharged 3800 route is too easy personally, that and you can't ever find a decent enough one for sale. Most have been beat way too hard.
dylanwalsh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

SuperImpala00 wrote:
dylanwalsh wrote:

I'd say if you have the patience and are willing to learn, the 3400 can be made to perform. Check out 60degreeV6.com and ask those guys their opinions. I plan on upgrading my exhaust to duals as well as an intake and maybe putting a little bit more wilder cam in it. It can be done, just takes the know how. Going the supercharged 3800 route is too easy personally, that and you can't ever find a decent enough one for sale. Most have been beat way too hard.

Thank you
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The l67 is not only 60 more hp but 100 more torque. Just had this conversation in another thread on here. Modding a 3400 is worthless, and I have one. I also have a 3800 and l67. L67 all the way, or top swap a 3800. Leave the 3400 alone past exhaust, intake, and tune. As far as exhaust, I would have a shop just put a simple y pipe and whatever mufflers you chose, if they don't charge way too much

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
SuperImpala00
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

barnettimpala wrote:
The l67 is not only 60 more hp but 100 more torque. Just had this conversation in another thread on here. Modding a 3400 is worthless, and I have one. I also have a 3800 and l67. L67 all the way, or top swap a 3800. Leave the 3400 alone past exhaust, intake, and tune. As far as exhaust, I would have a shop just put a simple y pipe and whatever mufflers you chose, if they don't charge way too much

If alot more guys went by your mantra, I don't think racing would be where its at now. The 3400 can be modded, you just have to dig more when building the motor. Call me old school but there's something more fulfilling when making power with what you got rather than slapping a supercharger on it and saying done. Why not just go a little further and tell him to buy a camaro or mustang, problem solved Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: