NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - I have a coolant leak - '01 L36 - Qs - UPDATE 01/13
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

I have a coolant leak - '01 L36 - Qs - UPDATE 01/13
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.36

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject:  I have a coolant leak - '01 L36 - Qs - UPDATE 01/13 Reply with quote

I've been driving my car every day lately and last week every morning I'd hear the 'gurgling' of coolant being transferred in the system, to me indicating it might be low. Sure enough, one day I got the low coolant notification. This would be the 2nd time I've added coolant to the vehicle this year. Maybe excessive, maybe not, not sure yet. Then a week later, I hear the gurgling again... wth? Coming home from work I once again get a low coolant light Shocked. Being I just got home from work, I opted to fill the overflow tank (past the hot mark) instead of filling the radiator. Right after doing that, I hear it leaking out the bottom somewhere, lovely! I peek under it's it's dripping off the bottom pass side pretty good, but I can't tell where from or why. I also notice what appears to me as coolant in a channel in the cradle maybe? I swing up to the corner garage to see if I can get some ideas. Owner says maybe water pump and they're pretty easy to do on these motors. That being the case pretty much rules it out for me then. I get 'em to come out and take a look at the sitting coolant and then figures it may not be the pump and starts asking about when's the last time the LIM was replaced. No clue, I haven't done it since I've owned the car so who knows when/if it's been done. He grabbed the upper rad hose and thought it felt just a bit 'oily' and explained that if I the oil is mixing with the coolant it can seep thru the rubber hose over time, haven't heard that before. He didn't think it seemed real bad and figured I could still drive like it is for a while.

Today I put the front up on stands and attempted to find this leak.. with no luck. I also filled the overflow past the hot full mark in an attempt to duplicate the rapid fluid loss like I witnessed the other day, also with no luck. Now I'm really getting confused. The drops are off the lower block on the passenger front, seemingly coming from somewhere above the power steering maybe? It's tough to see much laying on my back looking up at this and looking from above doesn't really yield me any clues either, but you can smell coolant for sure. I will note that I do also have an oil leak.. also of unknown location, possibly more than one area (although I know not valve cover gaskets, those are newer)? Some of the pan bolts do have oil droplets on them. My oil was low when I checked today, but not seemingly diluted or discolored, nothing odd about the fill hole or under the cap either.

How do I tell if it's something like a throttle body gasket or god forbid - the LIM gasket? Or even the water pump for that matter? I don't have any over-heating issues at all and ample heat when it warms up. Radiator cap was new in the last year (dealer item). I'm not sure what or how to check things out at this point and I'm hoping it's okay to use for work every day. It's kind of tough because I don't have the time (or money either really right now) to send it off to the garage to figure this out, which I'm guessing would be a chunk of change once all said and done. Think I'm gonna make anything worse, and I'm wondering if I can get by with adding coolant/oil as needed? Any ideas as to the mystery leak's possible location? I have a hunch this is pre-existing and now that I'm running it every day it's more of an accelerated problem now.

Any thoughts/advice is appreciated!

Last edited by REDLINE on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.67

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

First thing I think of with rapid coolant leaks from the passenger side of the engine is a cracked coolant elbow. Have you checked those yet?

If you have had a slow coolant leak and a slow oil leak, it's tough to rule out the LIM gaskets. What does your oil look like? Any signs of coolant in the oil? Do you have any serious seepage around the valve cover gaskets? How about the oil pan?

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Agreed, coolant elbows are the place to start.

Very unlikely to be a throttle body gasket since that is driver-side.

Could be LIM gasket, but based on your description of being near the PSF reservoir, I still think coolant elbow.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.6

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

after filling and it started leaking, was the car running? If not, maybe a cracked reservoir or bad hose going to it. Just a thought.

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The corner wrench did mention possible coolant elbow(s) too, stating it's common for those to crack after time or something to the effect. I don't know where these elbows are though to verify Embarassed

I believe the car was shut off when I was filling it... I think. At first I was hoping just a cracked reservoir and/or failing hose going to it, but when I crawled under the car both of those appeared to be fine and no leaking there. The car was on the ground when it started leaking after I filled it, where as the nose was on jack stands in the garage when I was trying to duplicate it. I ran the car up to operation temp until I heard the fans come on and I couldn't find anything pouring out. I then shut it off and let it sit a few minutes. Then I put the tire back on and set 'er back on the ground and had it running and not running, still couldn't get that to duplicate. It was almost like I spilled some while filling it, but yet I didn't so that's why I was like 'HEY, why do I hear fluid hitting the ground?' Confused

My oil looks fine IMO. It's 100% synthetic and no hint of green in it Laughing
I don't see any real oil leaking around the front valve cover gasket, I didn't look to hard on the back side but both of those were replaced previously... it will be 2 years ago in January actually. I think after those were replaced I may have been leakless, for a brief period at least.. then I started noticing small drops again when I'd park in the center of the driveway (sides are gravel so I don't notice it parking there really), which irritated me. Looking at the pan yesterday, some of it is wet (oil), not all of it though. I didn't think to check to see how snug or not snug the bolts are there though. IDK what the torque spec is on those bolts off hand, not sure if my Chilton's manual would tell me that or not.

I sure hope it's simply coolant elbows, because that sounds better than LIM replacement Shocked

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Here is a write up for replacing the coolant elbows. Cliff notes: they are L shaped plastic tubes that go from the engine into belt tensioner.

Dan wrote:

d
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Was something supposed to be clickable there Question

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah... sorry been at work for 11 hours today and spaced.

http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....mp;t=17376

Dan wrote:

d
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not a problem, I understand Laughing
Thank you for the link! Reading through it right now Cool
Wonder if I should do an Alt while I'm at it.. although I don't have any issues with mine currently.

Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.1

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I just replaced my Water Pump and coolant elbows and that solved my coolant leaks. The water pump was leaking as well as my coolant elbow's.

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

REDLINE wrote:

Wonder if I should do an Alt while I'm at it.. although I don't have any issues with mine currently.

I wouldn't bother unless it's giving you issues. It doesn't take long to pull the alternator if you need to do it in the future. To be honest the hardest part is getting the belt back on. You are gonna want to have a long breaker bar and a second set of hands to make that part of the job easier.

Dan wrote:

d
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Redshiba wrote:
I just replaced my Water Pump and coolant elbows and that solved my coolant leaks. The water pump was leaking as well as my coolant elbow's.

I'm not sure I can even see a weep hole to tell if it's bad or not. Would it not be somewhat noisy if it was bad?
IffyG wrote:

I wouldn't bother unless it's giving you issues. It doesn't take long to pull the alternator if you need to do it in the future. To be honest the hardest part is getting the belt back on. You are gonna want to have a long breaker bar and a second set of hands to make that part of the job easier.

As I read through the procedure, it's slightly more than I care to take on myself for the 1st time and I think I'll enlist the help of a buddy of mine... who also has a heated garage with room to work in, unlike my own. Are the elbows a dealer only part?

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

REDLINE wrote:
Are the elbows a dealer only part?

For plastic elbows there are OEM and another alternative (tired, don't remember the name...Dorman?)

There are new steel elbows for which a link has been floating around- Unfortunately I don't have it handy.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
REDLINE wrote:
Are the elbows a dealer only part?

For plastic elbows there are OEM and another alternative (tired, don't remember the name...Dorman?)

There are new steel elbows for which a link has been floating around- Unfortunately I don't have it handy.

Dorman offers aftermarket elbows for cheap, but they are known to have issues. I'm not sure if they fixed their problems with the metal ones, but I'd be sticking to OEM.

Dan wrote:

d
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The metal elbows work well, but I'd use GM o-rings for them as they use the same o-rings as their plastic ones which are known to fail. For anyone doing a water pump, be aware that there are two kinds, one with a stamped impeller and one with a cast impeller. I'd recommend the one with the cast impeller.

ACDELCO 252693 (252-693) $27ish on rockauto.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: