NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Replacing coolant Elbows found something interesting....
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Replacing coolant Elbows found something interesting....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject:  Replacing coolant Elbows found something interesting.... Reply with quote

Ok so my wife is replacing the coolant elbows when her father noticed that there was a fair amount of silicone just around the LIM. Now I bought this car used from a dealership . I am the second owner of the car and when i bought it the care only had 21000 miles on it. I have never done a LIM replacement since I have purchased the Impala. Could this have been done as a factory install or do you believe that the work has been done to this car before I put my name on it. Also now the Impala has around 132000 miles on it.

outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Idk, but props to your wife for working on her own car!

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
SuperImpala00
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would suspect that LIM work has been done, although I thought by the 2005 year model they had fixed it.
tedy
Dedicated
Dedicated

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes my wife is awesome... Thank you

I figured the same. Upon running a car FAX it shows that it was a rental so I'm figuring that being a rental for that 21000 it had a rough couple of customers. Also I'm pretty sure every impala has two hood struts where as I only have one. Things I noticed a couple of months after I bought the car... I did get a car FAX from the dealer ship and it was clear no accidents and registered as a previous rental. When I did another car FAX after joining this site because I noticed every impala had 2a hood struts that the car struck an immoveable object.

jmakinen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My '05 9C1 only came with one hood strut. I checked to see where the other strut would mount to the hood, and didn't even see a spot for it. The one strut works just fine for me. I'm not sure if that's the case with yours though.

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
I've got my own world to live through, and I ain't gonna copy you.
tedy
Dedicated
Dedicated

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It has been working fine since I purchased the car. I too do not have mounting plates for a second one.

outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Gotta love GM's consistency.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

jmakinen wrote:
My '05 9C1 only came with one hood strut. I checked to see where the other strut would mount to the hood, and didn't even see a spot for it. The one strut works just fine for me. I'm not sure if that's the case with yours though.

X2 I only have one hood strut, but it seems to work fine. It would I'd need to weld a mounting plate on the hood itself if I wanted to put a strut on.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My 05 9C3 also has 1 hood strut. I had the LIM gasket changed at 146,000 miles, & it was the original plastic gasket. It hadn't failed yet, but I wanted the time bomb out of there before serious problems happened. The GM metal gasket went back in the engine. GARY

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I highly doubt the manufacturer or dealership would seal the LIM with silicone. I'd suspect it was leaking and the rental company siliconed it, hoping the issue wouldn't be obvious on trade-in/sale - especially given that it only had 20k on it. What kind of rental company would buy a car and dump it after so few miles?

I think GM does seal the LIM gaskets, at the corners only, using high-temp RTV. This is similar in feel to silicone. They do it this way because the gasket is 4 peices which need additional sealant at the corners to make sure the gasket is complete.

Here's mine when I did it. The gasket is 4 peices: the two silver and green peices, and the two orange/rust coloured peices. Need sealant wherever the two meet.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
What kind of rental company would buy a car and dump it after so few miles?
Many rental companies keep a car for just 1 year. They want to make as much cash as they can renting the car in the first year, & unload the car when they can still get good money for it, & to get it off the floor pan. Also, many car rental firms would rather spend a few bucks, & have their in house mechanic do a quicky repair, vs send the car to the dealer for a free warranty repair, where the car could sit a few days, & lose rental income. GARY

Last edited by 9C3 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Tedy.....I also only have one strut....My question to you is, do you have a light in your glove box?

tedy
Dedicated
Dedicated

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Nope and that's gay... the one thing you never think about that's in the glove box and you cannot see it at night..

Progress.. my wife fixed the car.. one weird thing though the dorman parts for the bottom elbow would not go in. Out of frustration my wife went down to the Chevy dealership to get the part. While she was there a different tech from the garage would pop in to look for a part... I guess girls are not supposed to be working on cars. The part went right in. So now the top elbow is the dorman and the bottom is GM. I have been poking around the net looking for these in a metal cast to make a permanent fix. Ill post when I have any info of these parts

00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You mean like these:

http://www.wbodystore.com/gask.....lbows.html

??

Dedicated
Dedicated

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes like that... still dorman product... plus if GM had a fix for them they would have made metal ones. Then again why make them metal so they can profit again when they go.

I don't believe the lim was replaced. I bought the car in 06 so yes the year timeframe for a rental is probable. I have really no big issues with my impala well(our) impala. But it has been through a lot this year.. transmission slipping. Traction hubs 2 batteries and the coolant elbows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: