NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2004 LS Gauge Cluster After Repair Problem
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2004 LS Gauge Cluster After Repair Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbr909

Posts per day: 0

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject:  2004 LS Gauge Cluster After Repair Problem Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I was hoping I could get some advice on my current problem. I had a guage cluster on a 2004 LS with all 4 stepper motors going bad (speedo, tac, temp, fuel). I purchased replacement motors and soldered them on. Before removing my needles/stepper motors I followed the procedure of turning the needles counter clockwise until a stopping point was found and marked their position.

After getting everything back together, I'm having a hard time getting my needles in the correct positions and staying there after the car is shut off and then turned back on. I had to re-adjust the needle location with the new stepper motors in and if I set the speedo and tac to both 0, it works fine until I have to shut the car off and turn it back on. This was my first time soldering and desoldering and it wasn't a bad job, but it was definitely amateurish.

I currently have only the cluster harness plugged in (the emergency and tac wires are still disconnected). I'm bringing that up because the other problem I'm having is that my turn signals are not working. At this point I'm wondering if I've damaged my circuit board and I'm debating on just sending this thing to GM gauge repair to be done right (my only worry here is that I don't want to send a circuit board I've damaged).

Any tips, advice, past experience would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The turn signals run through the hazard switch, and it is fairly common for them to go bad. You can usually fix it temporarily by hitting the hazard switch, but the switch will have to be replaced eventually.

dbr909

Posts per day: 0

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It sounds like my turn signals are probably fine because I only have the cluster harness plugged in and my hazard and trac plugs currently unplugged. I'm still stuck on how to calibrate my needles after replacing the stepper motors however. Thanks for the response.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I wish I could give you some advice on the cluster, but I have never taken one apart.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: