NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - overheating and smoking
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

overheating and smoking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjharris631
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject:  overheating and smoking Reply with quote

I recently put dex-cool coolant in my car once i noticed that it was over heating. when doing so i saw that my recovery tank was below low so i put coolant in there as well. after doing so, everything seem to be working fine. two days later i get the low coolant level and my car starts making a whine noise. The noise seem to be coming from the radiator hose. a lot of smoke is also coming from the hose, just behind the left front headlight. whats my problem?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.12

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

For sure don't drive the car unless you keep putting coolant in it, but that would add up to a lot of moola fast. Sounds like your radiator is taking a poop. Usually if smoke is coming from behind the headlight, then your plastic tank on the radiator is separating from the fin metal section. Not sure about the wining noise. That could possibly be your water pump taking dump also. Is the radiator factory oem?

Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

its my factory one. I also thinks its my radiator. Is the fix hard? I let my car run a little to see where the leak was coming from and it is coming from the driver side also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's probably about a 2-3 hour job to replace the radiator and flush and refill the cooling system afterwards. Have a five gallon bucket handy to catch all the old coolant, and a complete fill after a complete drain (the radiator and the engine block) will take about a gallon of coolant and about a gallon of water.

Once you get the dogbones off and drain all the old coolant and pull the hoses and the cooling fans off it's pretty straightforward. The only tricky thing can be the quick disconnects for the transmission cooler on the passenger side of the radiator. If you don't lose the metal retaining clips you can generally reuse the quick disconnects, but sometimes they will leak on reinstallation...just make sure the threads are clean and dry and put some pipe dope on them and you could be good to go.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: