NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Cycling the anti-lock break pump
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Cycling the anti-lock break pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastrunner08
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.15

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject:  Cycling the anti-lock break pump Reply with quote

Doesn't anyone know a way to cycle the abs pump without a tech 2. I would like to test it/use it to get air out of the brake system, which I have heard works great for volkswagons. Is there two pins that you can cross or something like that to get the pump to cycle?

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Never heard of it. Why not just have a helper run the brakes while you bleed the air out, or just buy a brake bleeder tool?

Never heard of cycling brake fluid pumps - but I've heard to avoid depressing the pedal too far while the system is open, or you can push the pump cylinder into a zone where it normally isn't, potentially tearing up the seal on the piston on dry or gunky fluid/contaminants.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fastrunner08
Dedicated
Dedicated

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ya i heard that too, i was too late to warn my dad of that one though, he was already pumping it like crazy to try to get the air out, really didn't help our cause at all.

If air got in the master cylinder is there any way to bleed that air out without needing to do the bench bleed? also is there any other reason why the brake pedal would feel extremely squishy? The front two calipers were off, and both of them had all their fluid drained from them. i did fill the resorvior back up after reattaching them, and opened the bleed screws and pumped it untill fluid was coming out of the the bleed screws.

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Admittedly I'm hardly a pro on brakes. There is always air in your reservoir (thats how you remove the cap and add fluid), but I believe the problem is when air gets into the cylinder and pushed into the lines.

When that happens I think you have to bleed air from each corner of the car individually.

Squishy pedal can be air in the lines, or water in the lines. If you get water in your brake fluid, it'll settle into the lowest areas of the line and potentially boil, which causes lines to expand, and continues to decrease pedal feel.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fastrunner08
Dedicated
Dedicated

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just did about 2 hours worth of bleeding and got all the air out. Actually the old fluid coming out was very nasty black, full of water, and rust. So I guess all this fluid change out was a good thing that was desperately needed. Now everything is behaving better than I could remember.

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

fastrunner08 wrote:
Just did about 2 hours worth of bleeding and got all the air out. Actually the old fluid coming out was very nasty black, full of water, and rust. So I guess all this fluid change out was a good thing that was desperately needed. Now everything is behaving better than I could remember.

The last time I flushed the brakes (and power steering fluid) they were pitch black. I guess normal for hydraulic systems after a while.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: