NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Got another gp!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Got another gp!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> C'mon Down!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.52

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject:  Got another gp! Reply with quote

Well I just bought a gtp! Sort of a small project. Plan is just to fix and clean it up and sell for money for school, but I already like it a lot Twisted Evil here's what it is:
-2001 grand prix gtp
-leather
-heads up display that works
-sunroof
-heated drivers seat
-got the digital display for the boost, ave mpg, miles left on tank, ect
-121k miles
Pretty much the most optioned car I've ever had
Here's what's wrong with it:
-check engine light on for MAF. Gonna try to clean that
-drivers window needs a regulator so gonna order the regulator motor assembly
-was leaking coolant from an elbow. It had broken and someone replaced it on the side of the road, looks like its not all the way in there but I wiggled it and it has stopped
-looks like there's some oil build up around the fuel injectors
-ABS light on. What do you guys think that is?
-got a couple dents I'm gonna try to pull out
-some clear coat starting to fade on the front bumper and spoiler
-a good cleaning inside and out

Overall, im happy with the car and mostly just little stuff needs to be done. It's pretty quick Laughing And I think for $800 I got a good deal Cool
Will post more pics later but here's a couple

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

for 800 i think you got a nice looking car! and if it is able to drive, its a damn steal.

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
Performance - lead foot in my 3.4L is all I have
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Steal for 800 bucks. ABS light is probably a loose wire or a bad hub.

Oil around the injectors? Dunno about that. The 01 GTPs are supercharged, yeah? Which injectors have oil around? If it's front bank only could be as simple as someone spilled while filling the oil up. Otherwise, maybe a leaky head gasket?

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

very nice

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Yeah it's supercharged. 3800 series 2 supercharged, L67 right?
I'm not sure if it's front bank only or not. I'll take a look. It doesn't look or smell like fuel so it must be oil. Like all around every injector on the front bank. I'll see if it's on the rear bank. I'll probably try to degrease it all and see if it comes back.
How would you go about finding out about the ABS light?
I should probably change the Trans fluid, engine oil, supercharger oil, and flush coolant. Not quite sure how to get at the supercharger oil

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

granprixforums.net lots of people to help find the supercharger oil and such.

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The oil's gonna be the one of the worse things you've ever smelled. There's a plug in near the front bottom of the snout, you have to suck the oil out with that and replace with fresh oil.

I'd clean up the oil around the injectors and see if it comes back, most likely a valve cover gasket. There's no oil that goes through the upper intake manifold, so it wouldn't be that, and it definetly wouldn't be a head gasket. My money is on valve cover gasket.

For the abs, just start poking around, inspect the wire and connectors at each hub for corrosion or damage. Do you have a hub that is making noise? Usually a bad ABS sensor is the sign of a wheel bearing that is going out in these cars.

Great find for $800! Enjoy the torque!

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

outonthetiles wrote:
There's no oil that goes through the upper intake manifold, so it wouldn't be that, and it definetly wouldn't be a head gasket. My money is on valve cover gasket.

Sorry, I meant valve cover gasket. I've been sick since Wednesday so my thoughts are not all together ATM.

You can troubleshoot the hubs with a scanner. I think the nicer personal scanners and any shop scanner will be able to tell you which corner the problem is at. If you want to try to save a couple bucks, definitely look under the car as tiles described and try to find wiring corrosion, damage or faulty connections.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's on the rear bank as well. Wouldn't the valve cover gasket leak down? As far as head gasket, there's no oil at all near the front one, there is some near the rear one but could be from above and going down there. I should probably clean it all off and watch it. I wanna tear it down as least as possible so what do you guys suggest to clean it with? Normal degreaser required scrubbing which looks like I'd have to take fuel rails off which I don't want to do.

Thanks for the info on the supercharger oil. I'll get to that once I get this other stuff fixed.

My friend has a handheld scanner but it doesn't do ABS. I'll have to see if I see anything that looks bad

I was gonna clean the maf yesterday and when I looked at it I noticed its different than what I thought. It's not between air tubing, is it attached to the throttle body? Kinda all looks like one unit, how do I take it off there?
Also I noticed if I tap the gas really quick at idle it hesitates a lot and a couple times actually died. Do you think this is attributed to the MAF sensor?

outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Definetly valve cover gasket. It's the only thing that could really leak oil up there. To clean it, I'd use brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner, just try not to get it on any rubber parts.

Yep, that's the maf on top of the tb. It's held in by security torqs bolts.

The hesitation could be a number of things.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

barnettimpala wrote:

I was gonna clean the maf yesterday and when I looked at it I noticed its different than what I thought. It's not between air tubing, is it attached to the throttle body? Kinda all looks like one unit, how do I take it off there?
Also I noticed if I tap the gas really quick at idle it hesitates a lot and a couple times actually died. Do you think this is attributed to the MAF sensor?

Could very well be.

On NA cars you can open the throttle and spray in while the car is running, if I recall right.

Since you have the supercharger next in line on your car, I don't think you can do it that way.

Again, like tiles said, security torx will get you what you want with the MAF.

barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So it just pulls up after unbolting?
Well the other day I went to show a friend how the car drove and that it was decently quick. Well I figured I'd do a 30 roll and from a dig (this is the first time I've floored it in this car). 30 roll was pretty impressive, definately put me back in my seat. Damn thing felt like it was trying to run away lol
Then I floored it from a stop... well I did not expect what came next. In the impala it barely chirps the tires. In the gp gt it chirps them for maybe a second. This car is nuts. It sat there for a good 5-10 seconds barely moving and just burning out like crazy. Just didn't expect that I guess Laughing
Well I noticed when I parked I could see a line of dripping oil from parallel parking. So I looked under the car and holy crap, the oil pan and trans pan are covered in oil. Got to looking harder in the engine bay and looks like the rear head is covered in oil as well. I think I'm just going to try to clean it all up and watch it. Still gotta scrub a lot with brake cleaner or something of the sort I believe?

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The L67 TB may be a bit different than the L32, so I can't answer for sure.

I've heard of all kinds of methods to clean up engines and engine bays. Anything from a toothbrush and a cleaning agent to a steam cleaner and some bags over the electrical components.

We may have some good suggestions in the cleaning and detailing section, probably posted by an old user called blackf0rk.

Frank4202
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.75

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Noticed no rust on the car, then remembered you live in Hawaii. #IHateCanada

Sold 28/10/11
jgilius
Uber
Uber
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.29

1983 Ford Thunderbird
2004 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Would that be considered an island find? Laughing I always liked the 2 door GP's, the 4 doors seemed too chunky. I've always used a combination of the aerosol cans of engine bay degreaser, Simple Green, or even TSP, then some blazing hot water. Be prepared for the gunky oily sludge that will run out from under the car, you will do that on a clean driveway only once. Don't ask, but it has to do with an old girlfriend's driveway at her parent's crib. Embarassed Peace, John

www.afgwm.org
www.pwctoday.com
www.focusfanatics.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> C'mon Down! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: