NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - kills after start-up w/ smoke!!!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

kills after start-up w/ smoke!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-POP
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.02

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject:  kills after start-up w/ smoke!!! Reply with quote

sometimes the car will start for a split-second and kill. It starts immediately after. Twice now it did this and smoke was coming out of the pass side pretty good. I grabbed my extinguisher (I keep them in all my cars) and popped the hood. No visible flame but smoke was coming out from under the rear of the pass intake near the alt. It then started right up.

what am I missin ghere????

1971 Black and gold Buck Riviera (and several more)

GEAUX SAINTS/LSU!!!!!!!!!
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Have you tried to start it again? Did you make a video?

Is the smoke light and sweet-smelling like coolant, or heavy and dark like oil?

I'd consider a split coolant elbow given that it's below the alternator on the passenger side, but that shouldn't cause immediate shutdown from the motor.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds like you are missing the other person starting the car while you are looking for the smoke.
J-POP
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
Have you tried to start it again? Did you make a video?

Is the smoke light and sweet-smelling like coolant, or heavy and dark like oil?

I'd consider a split coolant elbow given that it's below the alternator on the passenger side, but that shouldn't cause immediate shutdown from the motor.

I just changed the elbows maybe, 20k miles ago. Sorry , no video. didn't notice any smells associated with this. It has only smoked twice. sometimes when it kills it kinda "huffs" (for lake of a better word) out of the intake.

It is way overdue for a fuel filter. I have a bit of an oil leak from teh improved UIM and related gaskets. I just have a bunch of bugs- the security lockout has hit me, the abs crap. I'm waiting for the tranny to start next. Iyt's only got 127k on it. Ah hell, I love this car... Rolling Eyes

Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Is it on warm starts or warm starts and cold starts? When you changed the elbows, did you use GM elbows or Dorman/aftermarket elbows? Aftermarket elbows have been known to leak.

barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.52

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
Is it on warm starts or warm starts and cold starts? When you changed the elbows, did you use GM elbows or Dorman/aftermarket elbows? Aftermarket elbows have been known to leak.

The elbows on the gp I just bought that were installed right before I bought it leak. You think its just not in there good, or just replace it with gm?

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

barnettimpala wrote:
Frank wrote:

The elbows on the gp I just bought that were installed right before I bought it leak. You think its just not in there good, or just replace it with gm?

I would replace. The car was clearly not well maintained when you bought it, so I wouldn't trust the previous owner's work.

GM has steel elbows now, if I remember right there was a thread about it maybe a month ago. Maybe ask about those when you call the dealer - would all but eliminate the risk of splitting.

J-POP wrote:
sometimes when it kills it kinda "huffs" (for lake of a better word) out of the intake.

The huffing you describe has been happening with probably all the 3.8L engines I've heard shut off. I believe the sound is air moving through the engine and intake tract as valves open or close. I've never had any ill effects from it and have to assume it's normal since I've heard it from every 3.8L I can think of.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
J-POP
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wow ! I could have sworn that I posted again. Oh well, any way I had the hood up to jump someone this time when it happened.

I'm starting to wonder if part of my problem is this oil leak I have since the UIM/ LIM fix. could the "huff" be coming through a gap in the gaskets? It "hufled" but seemed to come from the pass. side and immediately had smoke for a few seconds roll from under the alt/ coolant elbow area. Could oil be spurtin out on a hot area of the car? (I need to address this leak, but it's one thing after the next...(other cars-not this baby).

anyway, thanks for the insight... Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: