NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Front end needs some attention
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Front end needs some attention

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject:  Front end needs some attention Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm tired of hearing noises from the front suspension. Everytime I hit a bump it sounds like it pops. I feel like it rides crappier too than it should. It's got new struts, strut mounts, and springs. To make it easier, I'll just put all my questions separated so it's easier to see (I got lots Laughing )
1.) What parts there are in the front suspension that can be replaced?
2.) What are your recommendations on these parts (brand and place to get it from)
3.) Should I go about replacing all the parts or just what you think is causing the noise?

I see that the cv is throwing grease everywhere.
4.) Is it called the cv half shaft assembly, the whole axle?
5.) Do you generally replace both sides?
6.) What is a good brand to get and where do you get it from?

The passenger tie rod end is going bad and I have a replacement to put on for that. Do you think that would be causing the problem?
As far a suspension goes, If I can replace most all of the front components for a couple hundred bucks I probably will, it needs it. It's almost 11 years old Shocked

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.99

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I can't tell you anything on the axle issue as I haven't dealt with it yet, but popping can indicated cradle bolt issue. I've been dealing with this since I got the car. As well as a noisy ISS.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

A popping sound could be the ball joint.

The CV axles I replaced in twos just because I knew they were throwing grease for quite some time. $46 a side from Autozone. Whatever brand they have in stock, it came with a lifetime warranty so you can't beat that!

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Could be a broken sway bar link. If the link popped the head of the bolt off and it is still attached on the otherside it will make clunk when going over bumps. Really, you just have to put it up in the air and see what is what. If something is popping it should be fairly oblivious at this point.

-Check that sway bar link did not break, often overlooked because the majority is still attached
-Grab tire at 12 and 6 see if there is play if there is play then it is most likely a ball joint
-Check the springs, I have seen them over looked. Most times if the car is not moving and you turn the wheel you can hear the spring pop
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I thought 12 and 6 indicated a bad hub, or is that both?
If an endlink on the sway bar was broken, would it make the car sit kind of crooked? This happened on the Blazer we used to have and it sat way crooked. And my car is an 1/2-1" higher on the driver's side than the passenger front

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

barnettimpala wrote:
I thought 12 and 6 indicated a bad hub, or is that both?
If an endlink on the sway bar was broken, would it make the car sit kind of crooked? This happened on the Blazer we used to have and it sat way crooked. And my car is an 1/2-1" higher on the driver's side than the passenger front

A bad hub will have play all the way around. Sounds like you can find what you need by just turning the wheels and taking a peek. Let us know what you find.
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There is almost no way you can check a balljoint manually without removing it, there is a ton of spring pressure on it at all times.

I have a suspicion that bad hubs lead to CVs throwing grease. Lift up your front end and shake the tire at 6 and 12, if there is any play, you need new hubs! Replacing just the axle will put you in the same situation shortly down the road.

If there is any play at 3 and 9, then check your tie rods, but a bad hub will also have this play.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.64

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Have you ever replaced your engine and trans mounts? Mine had collapsed and were allowing the engine to shift around quite a bit causing some nasty noises under braking.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Never replaced anything except the struts springs and mounts. Braking or accelerating doesn't affect it. The more I listen the more it sounds like a rattle than a pop. Like what a strut or body mount sounds like when it goes bad

skypilot

Posts per day: 0

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Have you checked the front control arm bushings? It's a really strange (and in my opinion poorly engineered) design, as it is bolted to the cradle in a vertical position as opposed to the rear control arm bushing which is mounted in the classic horizontal fashion.

In other words, the rear bushing rotates around the mounting bolt as the arm moves up and down (like when you hit a bump) and the front bushing relies only on the flexibility of the rubber mount. Also, the front bushing isn't even solid; it has two slots in it to allow more flex which makes it even weaker.

Common sounds made by a bad front control arm bushing include popping and clunking, kind of "crunching" sounds when you hit a bump, or go from park to drive or reverse. It will also cause the car to tend to under-steer or over-steer, depending on which one (left or right) is bad and which way you are turning the car.

Maybe long and boring, but I hope it helps!

SkyPilot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: