NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Aeroforce Interceptor noob here...HELP
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Aeroforce Interceptor noob here...HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rc10mike
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject:  Aeroforce Interceptor noob here...HELP Reply with quote

Just installed the gauge as well as a new ZZP PCM...I did the case learn with it and set up the gauge to display KR and Timing Advance.

I have been googling around what the multitude of other parameters mean, but Im having trouble finding what are the acceptable ranges for each parameter.

So far my T/A seems to swing from 27 while just driving to 11 at WOT. KR never went above 1 so I guess thats good!

nightryder
Master Level
Master Level
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.82

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Your timing should be slightly higher than that while cruising and it should be around 16-18 at WOT with no KR. The fact that you are getting KR at 11* WOT timing is unsettling to me, but then again you have a ZZP PCM so that would explain it.

Parameter ranges vary depending on driving conditions, and there are too many conditions to just write a list. Pick a parameter to monitor for awhile, research the parameter and make a logical guess at what the range should be then compare.

ZZP isn't the greatest at box tuning PCM's, the best I can say is that as long as there is little to no KR and your LTFT is locking to +/-5 you are as good as you can get with the tune you have.

Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.96

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I ran a zzp pcm with no Kr on 93 octane and only about half a degree on 89. Not the best tune, but pretty decent

Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I say it had 1 KR but it fact it was only flickering, it probaby never made it 1.0.

I tried again today a wot run and KR didnt budge.

Keep in mind though I have a SS. I do have some minor mods with 3" downpipe (no cat) a ZZP Powerlog and CAI.

I see a lot of hate for ZZP, but the fact is they actually answered my e-mails and shipped the PCM to me in 4 days, unlike Overkill who never answered any of my PMs or emails for 3 months...

grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.41

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ya not to sure what's going on with overkill.. but lots of people had issues with zzp and almost any other tune would have been a better choice, but hey its your car so as long as you like it that's all that counts. glad your getting no kr

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

grimsin wrote:
lots of people had issues with zzp and almost any other tune would have been a better choice,

Not really. I there's examples of a lot of people having tune problems from them, but you can't just say almost any other tune would be better. Sure the ots pcm might not be the greatest, but the fact is they ran and tuned some of the highest hp and fastest 3800's. So dyno tuning is another story.

I would still use dyno brian or some other options over them simply based on tune, but driving 2.5 hours to zzp from me vs 10 hours to dyno brian or intense would not be fun either. ZZP isn't bad, they just aren't the best, IMO

Master Level
Master Level
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.82

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
I ran a zzp pcm with no Kr on 93 octane and only about half a degree on 89. Not the best tune, but pretty decent

Yeah, on a NA car Laughing

I had a ZZP tune before my overkill tune, night and day difference between the two. Get proficient with tuning and then open up a ZZP tune and count how many times you have a WTF moment Wink

I don't feel like getting into my other issues with ZZP, but my experience has been sub par. If there was another place that offered support for the 3800 like them then I would have taken my business elsewhere. Since that isn't the case, I was forced to suck it up.

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Haha very true, didn't consider that he is S/C.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the hate for ZZP, with customer service, and them just dropping the platform (which is arguable since its a dead platform these days) and all that, I was just saying their tuning isn't all that bad.

At least, on s**t they care about, such as the twin turbo gp

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I just can't understand why the tuning avenues seem so limited and almost like some exclusive club that nobody dare infiltrate or embark upon. I realize I'm a noob to these cars...but,can someone explain why it seemingly remains to be uncharted territory?

If it's simply because a 10 year-old car doesn't draw much interest anymore...I'd somewhat understand. Rolling Eyes

Thanx,

P A tyson

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What do you mean its limited exactly? Theres plenty of choices for an OTS tune. ZZP, Intense, Overkill, Wbodystore, used to be dhp and 3800performance.

Then there is always tuning yourself. And finally, any shop that tunes cars can tune a 3800.

NOW, arguing quality of each option is another story. I wouldn't go to just any old shop, I would find one that has done at least a few 3800s, and OTS wise, I would eliminate a couple of those vendors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: