NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Transmission Issues?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Transmission Issues?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FahrRollinImp

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject:  Transmission Issues? Reply with quote

Car is 2000 with a 3.8, 178K. I've not had any tranny issues up until now. Bought the car from my M&D who were the 2nd owners since it had 23K.

Symptoms; the fluid does not smell burnt, but the car jerks under moderate to hard acceleration, consistently once it warms up. If it is cold, it is not as likely to do it at all. From what info I can see online, it sound as if the 4th speed clutch hub splines have begun to strip (read about this on Triple Edge Performance.com's site).

Does all this seem reasonable/likely? Is there any way to tell for sure if the tranny is the cause of this?
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'd pull the dipstick and wipe it off on a white paper towel. see if there are any metal flakes in it

FahrRollinImp

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Great thought!

Just did it; doesn't appear good. I don't see any metal flakes like you might when a bearing has gone in an engine; you know, clear, distinct flakes. However, I can see what appears to be gray powder on the towel. Almost looks like tarnish wiping off a semi-precious metal. No distinct flakes at all.
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.28

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject:  tranny Reply with quote

I have done many tranny fluid and filter changes over the years. A lot of times there is that gray powder that you see around the magnet in the pan. I have always thought it was just wear n tear. Never had a tranny problem even with this stuff. Could be the start of something though. Best to talk to reputable tranny guy. You could do a filter and fluid change. Don't flush. Cool

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be a bad pcs soleniod.
FahrRollinImp

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The tranny is certainly going bad, just trying to find someone worth a damn to rebuild it locally. OKC, OK is my location. May end up dealing with Triple Edge Performance, if I can get him to return my calls. I did see a GM-rebuilt on ebay for a good price, shipping on top of that, and of course presumably no warranty...

Anyone else I should look into?
embrace

Posts per day: 0

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i know im kinda late in this topic but try disconnecting your mass air flow sensor

disconnect it and see if it still does it

cuz its happening to my car atm i asked my buddys they said it was the massairflow, low and behold car works runs like a champ after.

but i only did it for testing purposes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: