NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - HELP Water intrusion
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

HELP Water intrusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drew7997
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject:  HELP Water intrusion Reply with quote

Yesterday, my wife (primary driver) calls and tells me that the car has water standing in the floorboard. This Impala is a 2005 with a sun roof. I opened the sunroof, ran a cloth around all the edges of the seal and the painted part of the roof. Nothing blocking the sealing. I am in Ohio and we did receive rain for 5 days. My concern is that it was not BAD rain, just a typically rain fall.
I looked at the sunroof first because on the fabric around it was wet along with the whole front headliner.
Today the wife used a shop vac to sweep up the water in the floor.She said that water was dripping down from the E brake:
I came home and checked it. Still pretty wet. Here is a new thought though: She drives in the rain, a leak in the windshield allows the water to be forced up into the headliner then receeds down into floorboard.
Any and all recommendations are welcomed and will be entertained!
Thanks for yourthoughts,
Drew
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Driver side? Typically it is passenger side, from the cabin air filter - however it's very unlikely to be that.

If you open the driverside door and see the fabric/felt that covers the opening into the fender, pull it out of the way. At the top end of that space, you may have a buildup of leaves, etc. that itsn't allowing other areas of the cowl to drain.

Other than that, maybe you have an issue with weatherstripping or windshield trim... but first thing's first... check that area in the fender/cowling. At the bottom of the same fender area, you'll likely have a big pile of sand, dirt and other debris in there, too.

Alternately, you can undo the screws in the wheel opening and pull out the wheel well lining for easier access to part of the fender.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
drew7997
Cadet
Cadet

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter
thank you! I will examine in more detail. off to work.
where does the sun roof drain to? that same left corner?
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I think the sunroof drains to the rear of the car somewhere but it's totally possible I am wrong since I've never personally looked into it.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Appears to have two separate drain tubes, one front one rear. +1 on checking the fenders for leaf build up.

Cadet
Cadet

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I will look for debris, even though I typically keep the cowling cleared. never know what can ge tossed behind there!

I reviewed the path of the water some more. Looks like the water is leaking from the "pan" of the sun roof into the fabric of the filter. I suppose a little "water test is due prior to drying out then repair.

THANK YOU for the diagram! plenty helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: