NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Oh you know, just a rant
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Oh you know, just a rant
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.12

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Bad ! Oh you know, just a rant Reply with quote

So i've decided I am going to go on a rant and share my very frusturating experience with Overkill. Just so everyone knows in advance, I am trying not to bash Will in anyway. I understand that he has a personal life just like the rest of us and that the tuned pcms are more of a passionate side job.

Okay where to start... okay yeah, well as I have posted in the past I have had a problem with passing emissions because of a evap leak code. I tried my hardest not to throw a bunch of parts at the problem and I really thought that buying a tuned pcm was going to be my only easy solution. I knew to begin with that will isn't the best at replying fast and I really have been trying my hardest to understand and be patient with that. With knowing that, I sent him 2 emails a month before hand to make sure that he could do what I wanted and to give him a heads up that I will be purchasing from him. A month later and no response, with being on my second temp plate, I just went straight for the purchase. Including that I needed that specific code cleared along with some other things. I was looking forward to recieving the pcm in the mail and I was patient in recieving it.

The packaged arrived less than a week which I wasn't expecting. I did not recieve the booklet that you should recieve but instead a letter stating why there wasn't one and a number to reach him incase I had any problems or questions. Well I plugged in the new pcm and the impala started up right away, I was very lucky not to have to do a case relearn or a security relearn. I didn't expect what was about to happen 3 days later... the same cel that I had dreaded. I immediatly called the number provided and I had to leave a voicemail but was assured it would be answered in 24 hours... well no suprise when I didn't get a call ever. I tried to call again a week later, you know to give him a chance. Still nothing, I then had to resort to texting the number which did say I could to in the letter I recieved with the pcm. Still nothing.... So its been 3 months now and still no sign of good ol will. I am very disappointed in the customer service. I had to in result put the impala in my garage and buy a pos 02 kia rio.

Now, just because all of that bad stuff happened doesn't mean it was all bad. The tune was amazing just as everyone else has experienced, it for sure gave me one last smile and thrill before putting her away. Now its time for a new chapter for the impala and me. I am starting school in fall for a gm automotive program that will span 2 years and then go on with body collision/repair and finially welding. Now and during that experience I will be rebuilding the impala from scratch, starting with the unibody. I am now in the process of tearing her apart down to the unibody and then getting her blasted. Thats step one for now and I will later on start a thread on that. And incase anyone was wondering, my engine build is still a on going project that will be incorporated with this all together eventually. Thanks for taking your time to read this....

Ugh love ranting...

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What CEL are you getting? I would never expect a tune to get rid of a CEL. that being said overkill gave you a his part of service(a tuned pcm). Overkill should not be expected to troubleshoot a CEL especially one you already had before getting a tuned pcm.
As for him not responding to emails I'm not to sure what's going on Confused

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I was getting code po440. Which is apart of an emissions code correct? I just thought that people usually ask for tuners to get rid of all emission crap when they get rid of the emission system, such as egr valve and its codes.I think I would just be easy to turn off the code with hp tuners so why so hard for overkill to do so? The code is for a evap leak, which usually points to a faulty gas cap. which in hos description for his product, that such code would be removed.Please tell me if I'm wrong here.

Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.94

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

People normally remove the rear cat code, and sometimes the egr code, not a code that indicates a real problem.

If he said he removed the codes, he should have, but at the same time, you need to fix the problem instead of trying to cover it up.

Either you have a bad gas cap, purge solenoid, or the evap canister.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

A tuned PCM would rarely get rid of a P0440 code.
As stated by 00impala123 .. gas cap , purge soleniods, Cansiter. Also check the Rubber coupler from the Fuel tank to the Fuel inlet tubes. check for a vacuum leak in the lines going to and from the Soleniods.
I just fixed a po440 on a cavalier that was because the wires to the Tank pressure sensor on top of the fuel pump got pinched and shorted out.

most times it is a gas cap .. Get a Genuie GM cap not a cheap after market one.

my 2 Cents
TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
People normally remove the rear cat code, and sometimes the egr code, not a code that indicates a real problem.

How does this code indicate a real problem? I thought it just means that there is small leak of gas vapors, I don't believe this effects performance or anything harmful. I know there is no gas smells in the engine bay which means no sign of a hazardous situation. I just assumed that this is just an emission related code? I mean, I am not trying to make this a big deal. I just want to know what I wasn't attending to or why the code couldn't of simply been deleted.

VictoryRed09 wrote:
As stated by 00impala123 .. gas cap , purge soleniods, Cansiter. Also check the Rubber coupler from the Fuel tank to the Fuel inlet tubes. check for a vacuum leak in the lines going to and from the Soleniods. :

I did change the gas cap with a oem gm one and I checked the purge valve solenoid and changed out a "harness". I don't want to start that topic here though so I will post about that in the other thread I had.

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

most times it is a gas cap .. Get a Genuie GM cap not a cheap after market one.

My Dad got that code once, & brought his car to the dealer under warranty. They did the smoke test on the fuel tank, & told him to tighten the gas cap all the way. Now that he does, the code has never come back. GARY

nightryder
Master Level
Master Level
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.81

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VictoryRed09 wrote:

If the PCM has P0440 disabled it will get rid of it 100% of the time.

TeenBeach wrote:
How does this code indicate a real problem? I thought it just means that there is small leak of gas vapors, I don't believe this effects performance or anything harmful.

The "real" problem is that your fuel system isn't properly vented.

Quote:
I did change the gas cap with a oem gm one and I checked the purge valve solenoid and changed out a "harness".

Check the canister for clogs.

So you had a problem with an EVAP code, checked a few things, bought a tuned PCM to fix it and when that didn't work you bought another spare car because you can't figure it out?????

Makes perfect sense to me.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nightryder wrote:
So you had a problem with an EVAP code, checked a few things, bought a tuned PCM to fix it and when that didn't work you bought another spare car because you can't figure it out?????

Makes perfect sense to me.

I didn't buy a spare car just because I couldn't figure it out. I wanted to find the solution and would of kept on going but the problem was that I was on my third temp plate which was the last one I could have, so I tried all I could before that date came. And I probably will never figure out what was wrong, since I am not dealing with pos emissions again. Getting rid of that crap on the rebuild.

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

^I lol'd

Teen Beach, nightryder just answered your question to me about it being a real problem. It's not like the rear o2 sensor code where the cat is working perfectly well and the sensor thinks its not (which is what happens with the aftermarket cats and such). People delete that because there is no real problem, everything is operating fine.

With your situation, there is a problem. Something is not operating correctly which is causing the code to appear.

That said, if you SPECIFICALLY told Will to disable that code, and he said he would, he should have. Normally, people don't disable that code though, because it isn't a dummy code, or its not like people remove it like they do with the egr. He may have thought you were talking about the rear o2 code and deleted that.

I'm also confused why you "had" to store the impala. You spent time and money on a new car when you could have spent less fixing the problem with the impala?

edit: damn, you posted before I replied.

Are you seriously saying that you are going to delete the evap system? The EVAP system is not like the o2 or egr emissions stuff. If that IS what you meant, I'm out of this thread because the retardation level just surpassed my limit. if not, please, enlighten me.

Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
Are you seriously saying that you are going to delete the evap system? The EVAP system is not like the o2 or egr emissions stuff. If that IS what you meant, I'm out of this thread because the retardation level just surpassed my limit. if not, please, enlighten me.

What's wrong with deleting the EVAP system? I deleted all my emissions (except the cat) when I did my build. If done properly you will have a properly vented fuel system. There is absolutely no benefit to having an EVAP system other than to keep the environmentalists happy by saving a tiny amount of fuel vapor escaping into the atmosphere.

The STi's EVAP vent solenoid is shot, a relatively simple fix if the bracket wasn't rusted on (removal will cause me to spend hundreds of dollars to replace it and maintain it's working condition). So i'll be deleting the EVAP system by buying a $10 filter for the vent and deleting the codes in the PCM.

Inspection is up in a month, so I might have to buy another car in the meantime though.

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I just don't understand why he would go through the trouble of deleting it, when the problem is likely an easy fix.

I understand you deleting it since its cheaper at this point, that makes sense, but teenbeech's codes obviously weren't deleted in the PCM. So he's going to pay for another PCM, and it might be as simple as a pinched line or something.

My argument is more that he's saying he's deleting it before he even really knows the problem. There isn't all that much benefit to deleting it so to me, it wouldn't be worth the trouble (IF it is a cheap part).

Since you are a knowledgable mechanic, and own a tuner, its simple for you to do Laughing

Teenbeech obviously doesn't own a tuner, and can't find the problem, so its more work and $

Edit: I mean, i maybe hit the retard wall here (its like a plauge on this forum lol) but from my knowledge there isn't a huge benefit to deleting the evap system. Is there really a big enough gain to warrant it on most cars?

Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
I mean, i maybe hit the retard wall here (its like a plauge on this forum lol) but from my knowledge there isn't a huge benefit to deleting the evap system. Is there really a big enough gain to warrant it on most cars?

The gain from deleting it, from an everyday person kind of view, is that a tuned PCM and a filter element will cost you ~$150 and you will never have to worry about failing inspection because of emissions ever again. You won't even have to worry about fully deleting it because the PCM will think it's not there. In OP's case he will have to worry about it because it will eventually fully clog and start spewing gas all over when he goes to fill it up and/or the tank will not be able to vent on a hot day.

The benefit to someone like me is that you minimize clutter in the engine bay, it's one less thing to worry about diagnosing when it develops a leak, and it won't play mind games with you when you are tuning by randomly purging and screwing up your scan data. The tuner I have for the STi cost me $30, so it's a no brainer for me.

Deleting all the emissions codes (in my case) resulted in all my monitors setting almost immediately so I never have to worry about my monitors when I get an inspection.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

First off 00Impala123, I wasn't planning on the tuned pcm to be a final bandaid. It was to give me more time. All I needed to worry about is pass emissions, which in wisconsin the only way you don't pass is if you have a cel. Did I want to buy a import? No, but it was practicly given to me for cheap by a family member. Did I want to put my impala away? No, but now I am looking at it a positive way. Yes, I was not sure it was a real problem. Especially because no one ever stopped me and said that it was something that needed to be addressed immediatly. I still don't believe its a major problem where my car is going to blow up, all its doing is making a tree hugging environmentally prius lover cry.

00impala123 wrote:

Yes, I have done my research. I read and read and read, constatly questioning. The evap system was put there by the government, just like the egr, charcoal canister, and only crap that just ends up breaking. The evap system is just like nightryder said... to control gas fumes and instead of putting it out in the air, putting it back into the engine. Removing the evap system usually will take away 1mpg but when your only there for performance to begin with, its very unneccassary.

Sure I don't know exactly the problem but I went up the tree as far as I could before my damn experation date. I replaced the gas cap, I tested the purge valve and it worked, and then I replaced the whole plastic harness for the purge valve. I would of gladly went farther, I love figuring things out but when you have to spend atleast 425 dollars in parts to just get a wavier, and it has to be at a shop... theres no room when you only are 19.

nightryder wrote:
The gain from deleting it, from an everyday person kind of view, is that a tuned PCM and a filter element will cost you ~$150 and you will never have to worry about failing inspection because of emissions ever again. You won't even have to worry about fully deleting it because the PCM will think it's not there. In OP's case he will have to worry about it because it will eventually fully clog and start spewing gas all over when he goes to fill it up and/or the tank will not be able to vent on a hot day.

The benefit to someone like me is that you minimize clutter in the engine bay, it's one less thing to worry about diagnosing when it develops a leak, and it won't play mind games with you when you are tuning by randomly purging and screwing up your scan data. The tuner I have for the STi cost me $30, so it's a no brainer for me.

Deleting all the emissions codes (in my case) resulted in all my monitors setting almost immediately so I never have to worry about my monitors when I get an inspection.

Thank you!

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Alright, I give in, you're right lol.

Nightryder- Totally understand the point of ridding it and never having to worry about it, I was just thinking the average person isn't going to go through that work, they'd just replace it or have a shop fix it. I understand you along with other serious modders deleting it, I just didn't think that he was going to be doing that much to the impala.

After re-reading his initial post, he said he's stripping it down and sending it in to be blasted, so i guess if you're gonna do that you're planning on having the car forever lol. (and if you are doing that much work to it, it better get turned into at least an 11s car...lol)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: