NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Radiator throat and cap a lil' "gunky"...
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Radiator throat and cap a lil' "gunky"...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patyson
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.28

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject:  Radiator throat and cap a lil' "gunky"... Reply with quote

Upgraded my alternator and replaced the coolant elbows with the metal ones this past weekend. Noticed a bit of gunk/buildup in the throat and cap of the radiator. Kind of and orangish,but not necessarily rusty slime. Coolant color itself didn't look so bad,but I now have a lil' cause for concern. Is that concern justified,and what,if any should my concerns be? A plan of attack from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Smile

*this car is just over 33,000 miles,by the way

Thanx

P A Tyson

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
gdoggy
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

GM puts some tablets in the radiator from the factory. It's basically crushed up walnut shells to patch up any small leaks. Unless the gunk on the radiator cap is like milky oil then I wouldn't worry. However, a radiator flush and fill probably wouldn't be a bad idea if it's never been done.
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Your rad cap should always look clean. Easiest place to spot coolant problems (oil in coolant specifically) is the overflow tank. If it looks like a chemical toilet, here's your sign.

patyson
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.28

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanx for the quick replies. Actually,I had called a buddy immediately to see if I could squeeze in to his shop sometime this week for a flush and fill. But,I wanted to run this through here first,as I'm sure you're all well aware of some mistakes I've made by jumpin' the gun.

So,anything else you can add would be great...even it seems like common knowledge.

Thanx

P A Tyson

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Flush out that Dexcool trash, & replace it with the green coolant. The heavy line [engine] mechanic at the dealer dumps the Dexcool the day he buys a new car, & replaces it with the green coolant. He's seen the results Dexcool can leave in the engines he replaces. It clumps up in the cooling system. GARY

00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.94

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
Flush out that Dexcool trash, & replace it with the green coolant. The heavy line [engine] mechanic at the dealer dumps the Dexcool the day he buys a new car, & replaces it with the green coolant. He's seen the results Dexcool can leave in the engines he replaces. It clumps up in the cooling system. GARY

Here we go again with someone blaming to dexcool, and not realizing its a gasket issue...........

Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hard to believe the gasket needs replacing at 33,000 miles, but anything is possible. It's a lot cheaper to flush the coolant system, replace the coolant with the green stuff, & keep your eye on the new coolant to see what happens, than to jump right in, & replace the intake gaskets. However, I have seen with my own eyes what Dexcool does to the cooling system. It clumps up, & can block the small passages. I might be new on this forum, & just recently bought an Impala, but I've been handing the GM tech's parts since 1980. GARY

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.6

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The problem was cheap nylon gaskets that degraded and let air into the system. The air causes all sorts of problems with Dexcool. When properly maintained, there is nothing wrong with Dexcool. It merely became the scapegoat for poor engineering on GMs engines.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
The problem was cheap nylon gaskets that degraded and let air into the system. The air causes all sorts of problems with Dexcool. When properly maintained, there is nothing wrong with Dexcool. It merely became the scapegoat for poor engineering on GMs engines.
OK. I understand now. Thanks. GARY

billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When I did my gaskets and flushed the block & radiator, I refilled with the green stuff because simply I got it for free at my dads shop. I did NOT put in those little tablets. If done correctly there should be no need for the tablets, all they do is make the coolant look dirty as far as I could tell. I know they're supposed to stop leaks but I had 0 issues not putting them back in.

9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Funny, in 95 when I was working at a Caddy dealer when they had the 4.6, & 4.9 engines, the tablets were always used as part of a cooling system flush. Every hose, heater, & rad, was changed, system flushed, new coolant [still green then] & the tablets, $369. They sold quite a few, but Caddy owners had money to burn. That could never happen at a Chevy dealer. Back at Chevy in 02 when we were selling 10 plastic intakes a day to the shop under warranty, for a short period, GM said don't change the manifold, just add the tablets to stop the leak. That went away after about a month. Funny, my friend who has been at that Chevy/Buick dealer for 20 years has never changed a lower intake manifold gasket. Actually he asked for me, & no one there ever has. GARY

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.6

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
Funny, my friend who has been at that Chevy/Buick dealer for 20 years has never changed a lower intake manifold gasket. Actually he asked for me, & no one there ever has. GARY

I find that very hard to believe. It's not a repair most owners tackle on their own and the failure rate is super high.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have sold parts at all 6 GM divisions for the last 30 years. At Caddy the customer buys whatever is recommended as they have money. Buick & Olds were pretty good too, but Pontiac & Chevy customers leave when they find out the required repair isn't under warranty. For a while we did both Buick & Chevy at the same time. Night, & day difference. The Buick customers spent money, & the Chevy customers spent none. I imagine if the service writer told a Chevy customer they needed a lower intake manifold gasket changed, & what the labor cost, they went to Joe's auto repair instead, to save some money. So while this repair is common, our customers looked elsewhere to get the job done at a lower price. GARY

Last edited by 9C3 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.56

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
9C3 wrote:
Funny, my friend who has been at that Chevy/Buick dealer for 20 years has never changed a lower intake manifold gasket. Actually he asked for me, & no one there ever has. GARY

I find that very hard to believe. It's not a repair most owners tackle on their own and the failure rate is super high.

yeah, it happens across the board on all W-Bodys and many other GM vehicles. Its not a matter of if it happens, but when. I know some local dealers here do them on a daily basis.

Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Was there a year GM went to a better gasket,or are they all the same?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: