NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Battery Replacement
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Battery Replacement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostwrench
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject:  Battery Replacement Reply with quote

The original battery is still in my 04 and is about to face its 10th winter season.
Due to the possible/probable need to replace the battery this winter, a question.
In the time period after the old battery is disconnected and the new battery is connected, will the computers or anything else be adversely affected by not having any electrical power?
Thanks.
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.41

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

your pcm will reset and it will start its "re-learning" process, but nothing will be affected except your mpg and shifts until its full relearned how you drive. which wont take long.

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not positive, since I had my battery out for a week or two a few years ago. May have to reset the compass and radio presets as well. Might all depend on just how long you have the battery out as well.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject:  Re: Battery Replacement Reply with quote

lostwrench wrote:
The original battery is still in my 04 and is about to face its 10th winter season.
This is absolutely amazing, as here in Florida we are lucky to get 3-4 years out of a Delco battery. I know as I worked for many years at the GM dealer, & sold them. I guess the constant hot weather here is worse for batteries than the frigid winters, & warm summers you have up north. Go figure. GARY

chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The clock will reset too.

Nothing major though.

Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject:  Re: Battery Replacement Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
lostwrench wrote:
This is absolutely amazing, as here in Florida we are lucky to get 3-4 years out of a Delco battery. I know as I worked for many years at the GM dealer, & sold them. I guess the constant hot weather here is worse for batteries than the frigid winters, & warm summers you have up north. Go figure. GARY

Still on my original battery and still turns my engine over quickly on the coldest days, in canada ontario..knock on wood lol

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.95

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject:  Re: Battery Replacement Reply with quote

grimsin wrote:
9C3 wrote:
lostwrench wrote:

Still on my original battery and still turns my engine over quickly on the coldest days, in canada ontario..knock on wood lol

you know you're gonna go try to start it today and it wont go now that you said that lol

Uber
Uber

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If your car has skid control, it may require a yaw/decel sensor reset after battery service. Not sure if that was offered in 04. There are tools to maintain power to the computer through the DLC connector under the dash if that worries you.

grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject:  Re: Battery Replacement Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
grimsin wrote:
9C3 wrote:
lostwrench wrote:

you know you're gonna go try to start it today and it wont go now that you said that lol

Id be so mad lol

3.69 gears soon!!
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject:  Re: Battery Replacement Reply with quote

grimsin wrote:
00impala123 wrote:
grimsin wrote:
9C3 wrote:
lostwrench wrote:

Id be so mad lol

Mine developed a leak in Janurary 2009 when I was doing lim/uim gaskets and had the battery out of the car.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you look at the under hood Fuse box there is a power tap covered with a red plastic cap on the side.
Get a float charger and hook up the red to that positive post and the black to a ground spot .. This will keep the car powered.
Then you can take out the battery ( making sure you cover the Positive terminal with some thing that will insulate it, so you don't short out the car).
Then when you get the new battery in and connected, disconnect the charger from the Power tap..
No reset or relearn of any thing is needed.
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Or you can take a small alarm system, or motorcycle battery, & plug it in the liter socket in the ashtray. That's what they do at the dealer. GARY

Last edited by 9C3 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill58
Resident
Resident
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.2

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VictoryRed09 wrote:
If you look at the under hood Fuse box there is a power tap covered with a red plastic cap on the side.
Get a float charger and hook up the red to that positive post and the black to a ground spot .. This will keep the car powered.
Then you can take out the battery ( making sure you cover the Positive terminal with some thing that will insulate it, so you don't short out the car).
Then when you get the new battery in and connected, disconnect the charger from the Power tap..
No reset or relearn of any thing is needed.

Same deal, I back power through a cigarette lighter socket. Cover the + cable with a leather work glove.
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject:  Re: Battery Replacement Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
grimsin wrote:
00impala123 wrote:
grimsin wrote:
9C3 wrote:
lostwrench wrote:

Id be so mad lol

Mine developed a leak in Janurary 2009 when I was doing lim/uim gaskets and had the battery out of the car.

angry8

3.69 gears soon!!
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.99

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
Or you can take a small alarm system, or motorcycle battery, & plug it in the liter socket in the ashtray. That's what they do at the dealer. GARY

How is this achieved? Special connector for the battery?

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: