NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Battery Replacement
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Battery Replacement
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lostwrench
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Jan 12, 2007
Posts: 271
Posts per day: 0.07
Location: Ct.

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject:  Battery Replacement Reply with quote

The original battery is still in my 04 and is about to face its 10th winter season.
Due to the possible/probable need to replace the battery this winter, a question.
In the time period after the old battery is disconnected and the new battery is connected, will the computers or anything else be adversely affected by not having any electrical power?
Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Oct 27, 2009
Posts: 1179
Posts per day: 0.41
Location: Port Stanley ON

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

your pcm will reset and it will start its "re-learning" process, but nothing will be affected except your mpg and shifts until its full relearned how you drive. which wont take long.

_________________

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor


Joined: Oct 21, 2006
Posts: 9331
Posts per day: 2.34
Location: Ontario, Canada

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo


PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not positive, since I had my battery out for a week or two a few years ago. May have to reset the compass and radio presets as well. Might all depend on just how long you have the battery out as well.

_________________
uıɐƃɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯɐ ı

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
9C3
Resident
Resident


Joined: Aug 19, 2012
Posts: 591
Posts per day: 0.32
Location: PALM BEACH FLORIDA

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject:  Re: Battery Replacement Reply with quote

lostwrench wrote:
The original battery is still in my 04 and is about to face its 10th winter season.
.
This is absolutely amazing, as here in Florida we are lucky to get 3-4 years out of a Delco battery. I know as I worked for many years at the GM dealer, & sold them. I guess the constant hot weather here is worse for batteries than the frigid winters, & warm summers you have up north. Go figure. GARY

_________________
2005 9C3 IMPALA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Dec 14, 2009
Posts: 1369
Posts per day: 0.48
Location: Philadelphia, PA

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro


PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The clock will reset too.

Nothing major though.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Oct 27, 2009
Posts: 1179
Posts per day: 0.41
Location: Port Stanley ON

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject:  Re: Battery Replacement Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
lostwrench wrote:
The original battery is still in my 04 and is about to face its 10th winter season.
.
This is absolutely amazing, as here in Florida we are lucky to get 3-4 years out of a Delco battery. I know as I worked for many years at the GM dealer, & sold them. I guess the constant hot weather here is worse for batteries than the frigid winters, & warm summers you have up north. Go figure. GARY


Still on my original battery and still turns my engine over quickly on the coldest days, in canada ontario..knock on wood lol

_________________

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Feb 01, 2010
Posts: 2653
Posts per day: 0.95
Location: Chicago, IL

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject:  Re: Battery Replacement Reply with quote

grimsin wrote:
9C3 wrote:
lostwrench wrote:
The original battery is still in my 04 and is about to face its 10th winter season.
.
This is absolutely amazing, as here in Florida we are lucky to get 3-4 years out of a Delco battery. I know as I worked for many years at the GM dealer, & sold them. I guess the constant hot weather here is worse for batteries than the frigid winters, & warm summers you have up north. Go figure. GARY


Still on my original battery and still turns my engine over quickly on the coldest days, in canada ontario..knock on wood lol


you know you're gonna go try to start it today and it wont go now that you said that lol

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dan
Uber
Uber


Joined: Jun 20, 2009
Posts: 971
Posts per day: 0.32
Location: Problemo?

1991 Jeep Cherokee


PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If your car has skid control, it may require a yaw/decel sensor reset after battery service. Not sure if that was offered in 04. There are tools to maintain power to the computer through the DLC connector under the dash if that worries you.

_________________
I love cheeseburgers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Oct 27, 2009
Posts: 1179
Posts per day: 0.41
Location: Port Stanley ON

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject:  Re: Battery Replacement Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
grimsin wrote:
9C3 wrote:
lostwrench wrote:
The original battery is still in my 04 and is about to face its 10th winter season.
.
This is absolutely amazing, as here in Florida we are lucky to get 3-4 years out of a Delco battery. I know as I worked for many years at the GM dealer, & sold them. I guess the constant hot weather here is worse for batteries than the frigid winters, & warm summers you have up north. Go figure. GARY


Still on my original battery and still turns my engine over quickly on the coldest days, in canada ontario..knock on wood lol


you know you're gonna go try to start it today and it wont go now that you said that lol


Id be so mad lol

_________________

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor


Joined: Oct 21, 2006
Posts: 9331
Posts per day: 2.34
Location: Ontario, Canada

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo


PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject:  Re: Battery Replacement Reply with quote

grimsin wrote:
00impala123 wrote:
grimsin wrote:
9C3 wrote:
lostwrench wrote:
The original battery is still in my 04 and is about to face its 10th winter season.
.
This is absolutely amazing, as here in Florida we are lucky to get 3-4 years out of a Delco battery. I know as I worked for many years at the GM dealer, & sold them. I guess the constant hot weather here is worse for batteries than the frigid winters, & warm summers you have up north. Go figure. GARY


Still on my original battery and still turns my engine over quickly on the coldest days, in canada ontario..knock on wood lol


you know you're gonna go try to start it today and it wont go now that you said that lol


Id be so mad lol


Mine developed a leak in Janurary 2009 when I was doing lim/uim gaskets and had the battery out of the car.

_________________
uıɐƃɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯɐ ı

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Jul 06, 2010
Posts: 263
Posts per day: 0.1


2009 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you look at the under hood Fuse box there is a power tap covered with a red plastic cap on the side.
Get a float charger and hook up the red to that positive post and the black to a ground spot .. This will keep the car powered.
Then you can take out the battery ( making sure you cover the Positive terminal with some thing that will insulate it, so you don't short out the car).
Then when you get the new battery in and connected, disconnect the charger from the Power tap..
No reset or relearn of any thing is needed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
9C3
Resident
Resident


Joined: Aug 19, 2012
Posts: 591
Posts per day: 0.32
Location: PALM BEACH FLORIDA

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Or you can take a small alarm system, or motorcycle battery, & plug it in the liter socket in the ashtray. That's what they do at the dealer. GARY

_________________
2005 9C3 IMPALA


Last edited by 9C3 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bill58
Resident
Resident
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: Oct 31, 2008
Posts: 650
Posts per day: 0.2
Location: Maryland

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VictoryRed09 wrote:
If you look at the under hood Fuse box there is a power tap covered with a red plastic cap on the side.
Get a float charger and hook up the red to that positive post and the black to a ground spot .. This will keep the car powered.
Then you can take out the battery ( making sure you cover the Positive terminal with some thing that will insulate it, so you don't short out the car).
Then when you get the new battery in and connected, disconnect the charger from the Power tap..
No reset or relearn of any thing is needed.

Same deal, I back power through a cigarette lighter socket. Cover the + cable with a leather work glove.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Oct 27, 2009
Posts: 1179
Posts per day: 0.41
Location: Port Stanley ON

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject:  Re: Battery Replacement Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
grimsin wrote:
00impala123 wrote:
grimsin wrote:
9C3 wrote:
lostwrench wrote:
The original battery is still in my 04 and is about to face its 10th winter season.
.
This is absolutely amazing, as here in Florida we are lucky to get 3-4 years out of a Delco battery. I know as I worked for many years at the GM dealer, & sold them. I guess the constant hot weather here is worse for batteries than the frigid winters, & warm summers you have up north. Go figure. GARY


Still on my original battery and still turns my engine over quickly on the coldest days, in canada ontario..knock on wood lol


you know you're gonna go try to start it today and it wont go now that you said that lol


Id be so mad lol


Mine developed a leak in Janurary 2009 when I was doing lim/uim gaskets and had the battery out of the car.


angry8

_________________

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor


Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Posts: 6396
Posts per day: 1.99
Location: I love drawing butts on stuff.

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series


PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
Or you can take a small alarm system, or motorcycle battery, & plug it in the liter socket in the ashtray. That's what they do at the dealer. GARY


How is this achieved? Special connector for the battery?

_________________

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: September 20, 2017, 9:35:06 am
Page Generation: 0.14 Seconds ( SQL 45:138 in 0.01 Seconds )