NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Interesting ABS tale.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Interesting ABS tale.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject:  Interesting ABS tale. Reply with quote

The other day I had my friend change the water pump on my car. The Chevy dealer is dead on Saturday after 2PM, & I just pay him for his time. After the pump was installed he says lets plug in the OBD2 machine, & see what we got. After a minute, he asks if the ABS lamp is ever lit. I tell him from time to time it comes on, but the brakes work just fine. The codes tell him the ABS harness that goes to the right front wheel is bad, & needs to be replaced. It's $80 [$50 with my discount] but not in stock. The local sources can get it for $40, but it would have to be ordered.
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE. Last week he had to replace the entire front under hood wiring harness from a 2011 Impala owned by a large car rental firm. Seems this particular car sits in the corner of the lot, & rats, yes rats like to eat the insulation from this harness, causing a short circuit. The car rental firm had to buy a new complete harness, & my friend saved the old one. He removed the ABS harness I needed, & installed it on my car. He then connected the OBD2 machine, & we took a drive in the parking lot. The screen showed the speed of all 4 wheels. On sharp left turns, the outer wheel has to go faster, so it showed 12 mph, while the inner showed 9 mph. When we made sharp right turns, the left front wheel was now going 12 mph, & the right wheel was going 9 mph. Seems to work fine. So now we go flying into the shop [where the floor is very slick] & my friend jams on the brakes. Absolutely no skid marks, & the car stops on a dime. A non ABS car would have skidded 25 feet at least.
My friend told me he replaces those ABS harnesses quite often, as the constant left/right turns of the steering wheel wears them out. While I like the older cars, where things are simpler, this new hi tech stuff is neat. Sure, some stuff can be expensive, but my friend has accumulated tons of stuff over the years. Hopefully, I won't need much of it. GARY

Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You must have some really good beer.

9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
You must have some really good beer.
I prefer white wine. GARY

9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Today he replaced the left front ABS harness. Fortunately he still had the harness from the rental car. So now both are new. GARY

bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Your lucky, I though that problem only happened where they used salt on the roads. I have replaced the whole rear harness and repaired the front many times. It's like a yearly thing now, check abs wiring, replace rear evap valve.

05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds like a good deal.
Did your friend fill the connections with dielectric grease when they put it together?
From your Sig. it seems you might be by the ocean and its salt so a little protection of the electrical connections would be prudent IMO.
Also make sure the wires are strung right . It should run up with a loose loop at the top so the full movement of the strut and.the wheel don't jerk or strain it.
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My friend who replaces these at the dealer all the time tells me it's very common from the front wheels constantly turning left & right. Not a near the ocean thing. The factory wires have retainers to hold them in the correct place. He covered the connections with heat shrink that has goo inside to protect from the elements. GARY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: