NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Radio fuse problem
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Radio fuse problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
embrace

Posts per day: 0

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject:  Radio fuse problem Reply with quote

ok i been battleing this problem for a bit now its annoying me, now that its getting colder outside my cars have trouble starting, i had it taken to a garage near my work and they said my radio fuse was my problem. my cars battery would go dead in 24 hours if not used.

is there a trick or fix that i can do to fix this besides pulling the fuse or DC my bat over night?

i was wondering if i could rig up a cheap fix like and external fuse holder for my radio so when i hop in my car plug it in or flip a switch to power it again

what do you guys think?
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject:  fuse Reply with quote

Any garage worth using would of explained how and why they say the radio fuse is the culprit. Then they would suggest the correct way to fix. Get a second opinion. Get back to us. Maybe u just have a bad battery. Cool

kwik69
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.03

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
1969 Chevrolet Camaro
1990 Chevrolet Silverado
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had the same issue where my radio, even though it was off, was draining my battery if i didn't start it over the weekend.

I checked everything and came to the conclusion that it was a draw inside the radio/computer itself.

As a workaround without replacing something expensive, I added a switch inline to cut power to the radio. My battery hasn't gone dead in several years now.

I pulled out the passenger side radio fuse, ran wire from one fuze post to an inline 15a fuse ( I think it was 15- whatever the original one was I matched it because it still needs to be protected), then to a switch I mounded under the dash, then ran the wire from other side of switch back to the other fuse post.

When I get out of the car at night, I switch off my new power switch to the radio. It sure beats jumping it every Monday morning.

05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Could be the RAP module kissed off
RAP = Retained accessory power
Or the switch on the door that tells it if its been opened or closed is kaput
I.E. - When you turn the car off it keeps the radio ect going till the door opens then it is supposed to shut it all down
kwik69
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
1969 Chevrolet Camaro
1990 Chevrolet Silverado
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes, when you open the doors, the windows and radio turn off. But 2 days later the battery will be dead.

I will look for the RAP, is it easy to change? Is it located inside the stereo case?

05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If things turn off its not going to be the RAP unless something is reactivating it.
Factory radio or aftermarket?
You install a alarm system?
kwik69
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
1969 Chevrolet Camaro
1990 Chevrolet Silverado
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Factory stereo/cassette/CD.

No alarm. The care had this ussue when I purchased it, the guy before me just pulled the fuse. I wanted easier access to cutting power so I installed the switch.
No alarm. Had passlock security issue years ago. Stopped in a car stereo shop and had them install a bypass resistor and it has worked perfectly ever since.

I wouldn't be opposed to a new stereo (with a USB) and mounting the old one in the trunk (with a pwr switch) so I can still adjust headlight settings, oil change reset, etc... but that doesn't really identify the problem, it just quarantines it. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: