NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Best system
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Best system
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChevImp01

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject:  Best system Reply with quote

Who has the best System on here for the money? I need ideas. Pics if possible
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What exactly are you looking for? Particularly sound quality or just something massively loud?

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

no one can answer that question for you.

first, there are no systems "on here". Are you asking who has the best for the cheapest? But then again, cant be answered.

What is "best"? Everyone has their own taste in music and how they want their system to perform / sound. So no one can tell which is best.

"For the money" meaning best bang for the buck? or the cheapest possible? again, cant be answered. Its an opinion question.

Answer these question.....

Are you looking for guidance in creating a system? yes or no

if yes, budget? music preference? looking for quality or bass you can hear 3 miles away? Competition use? (guessing not if you had to ask the question)

if no, are you just looking to compare systems with yours thinking you have the best for the money? If so, post your specs and wait to be criticized.

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
no one can answer that question for you.

first, there are no systems "on here". Are you asking who has the best for the cheapest? But then again, cant be answered.

What is "best"? Everyone has their own taste in music and how they want their system to perform / sound. So no one can tell which is best.

"For the money" meaning best bang for the buck? or the cheapest possible? again, cant be answered. Its an opinion question.

Answer these question.....

Are you looking for guidance in creating a system? yes or no

yes

if yes, budget? music preference? looking for quality or bass you can hear 3 miles away? Competition use? (guessing not if you had to ask the question)

if no, are you just looking to compare systems with yours thinking you have the best for the money? If so, post your specs and wait to be criticized.

I would like the best bang for my buck my budget is around 2K but its been a long time since i've bought equipment. My main thing is head unit, Sony, Pioneer, are a couple of great brands i know, but are there others out there ( Boss?) . As for amps, crossovers etc. i'm clueless since there are so many out there now. I just want a few ideas where to start.

No i don't want to be heard 3 miles away i want a clear sound without the bleeding ears.

sorry for the vague post
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pioneer AppRadio is popular among Toyota owners that don't want to pay the premium for the factory installed Entune radio. You can get the entry level one (6in screen, extremely similar to $845 Scion BeSpoke radio) for $300 with the install components and have all the stuff the manufacturers advertise on TV. Nav, voice commands, streaming Pandora and I♥Radio, yada yada yada. Toss some half decent speakers in the doors and deck, add a modest sub and you'll have a nice looking and sounding fully modern experience for less than the radio-only price for a Scion tC.

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

wanna go budget, this is how I do budget systems that sound far better than factory without hurting your eardrums or wallet

Start with a HU, your choice. Buy the features you want. Id buy something expandable so you can add things later on (Sat radio, HD radio, iPod controls, etc)

A small amp for a small sub is fine. Id go 10" with maybe a 400watt amp. Find one with a built in crossover.

- Use the HU to power the cabin speakers, have most of the bass turned down.

- Use the amp and built in crossover to direct the bass to the sub (thats what its there for)

Will give you a much improved sound over factory and be well below your budget.

You wont impress anyone with the performance, but for everyday driving and not looking for anything crazy, this is the formula I follow.

Had this in both my Impalas and received many compliments on the sound. (over stock, not vs high $$ systems)

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

did you call sony a "great" brand

Rolling Eyes

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
Performance - lead foot in my 3.4L is all I have
ChevImp01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

gg05impala wrote:
did you call sony a "great" brand

Rolling Eyes

used to be like i said i dont know whats out there anymore I know that there are Alot better ( been 20+ years since i have put anything in a car system wise) Ugh i do need help Confused
gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

with a 2 k budget, you can spend your money different ways. If you like hi-tech head-units with gps and a lot more features, those can run you a good 600-1k or up. If you are not building for competition, which i assume not if you have to ask, stick with some name brands, pioneer, kicker, even kenwood. There are a lot of "unknown" makes out there that are very good, just not advertised such as these name brands. If you want expert help, talk to rc10mike. he is extremely knowledgeable and helped me a great deal with my build. I dont know if he is around much, but definitely a go-to with questions.

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
Performance - lead foot in my 3.4L is all I have
ChevImp01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ChevImp01 wrote:

I would like the best bang for my buck my budget is around 2K but its been a long time since i've bought equipment. My main thing is head unit, Sony, Pioneer, are a couple of great brands i know, but are there others out there ( Boss?) . As for amps, crossovers etc. i'm clueless since there are so many out there now. I just want a few ideas where to start.

No i don't want to be heard 3 miles away i want a clear sound without the bleeding ears.

sorry for the vague post

Wifey says Limited budget Rolling Eyes
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ChevImp01 wrote:
ChevImp01 wrote:

sorry for the vague post

Wifey says Limited budget Rolling Eyes

limited budget is better than the standard "NO"

Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you need help putting something together, shoot me a PM with what you are really looking for and I'll help ya. I run a business doing mostly mobile electronic installs, and detailing. And I am MECP certified.

Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Honestly in your shoes, I would replace all factory speakers, add an amp and head unit, HO alt, and do the big three. Then I would listen to it for a couple of month's and see if there is room for improvment with those speakers, adjusting settings, keeping the car from rattling...etc. Than that'll give you more time to do some research for subs and what you might like to get. Plus your budget might get a little higher by then.
RogerForster
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I, personally, am fond of the double din nav/dvd units presented by Pioneer and Sony. Pricey but feature rich and audibly acceptable. Replacing front speakers is a no-brainer and any mainsrteam brand will be a great improvement. Amplify the fronts, add a sub with suitable amp to power, upgrade electrical (i.e. Big 3) and you will have built something you will be proud of and will impress casual onlookers/listeners.

'04 Glastron GX185
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

After putting systems in all 4 cars I have owned, my current setup in the impala is my favorite for sound quality. I replaced the head unit with a Pioneer single DIN media unit (no CD player, reads SD card and USB). I replaced all 4 speakers with Pioneer D series and replaced the factory amp with a Kenwood 4 channel to power the speakers. A shop built me a custom subwoofer enclosure to fit the trunk, it almost looks factory - built to perfect spec for the two 10" JL Audio subs I am running. Perfect frequencies across the board, not too much bass, not too much treble.

As others have said, definitely do the "Big 3" wiring upgrade.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: