NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Bad Head Gasket?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Bad Head Gasket?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FahrRollinImp

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject:  Bad Head Gasket? Reply with quote

Greetings all,

Trying to diagnose the wife's daily driver, a 2000 Impala 3.8. Within the last few months, the main radiator fan failed. I could tell it was a problem because not only did it begin to scream, I had a CEL. SO, I replaced it with the HD version available at OReillys. As some of you probably know, this was not a bolt-on, and required the fan shroud to be modified a wee bit. I got it installed, but I have not been able to clear the code of P0481, which indicates that the #2 fan relay was bad. I replaced it as soon as I did the fans, but it did not clear the code. Now, ever since that time, the high-speed on the fans has not worked. This did not seem to be an issue until the other day when I drove it hard on the highway, and then parked in a lot while talking on the phone afterward with it still running and the AC on. After about 30 mins, the car binged at me, telling me it was hot. Switched off the AC, turned the heater on (it was above 90 at the time) to help cool it off, it took a few minutes since it was so hot...

NOW, to the symptom-- I don't know for sure if the car did this before then or not, but now when you give it more than say 1/2 throttle, it surges instead of accelerating smoothly. The more throttle you give, the more it surges. It does NOT do this when it is cold.

There is no obvious water in the oil, or vice versa. Coolant level was higher than max to begin with, so I am unsure it has used any coolant. There are no other obvious signs of leaks anywhere.

I haven't done a compression check yet, but since this only does this on hard acceleration, I don't think I will find something that way.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your suggestions...
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds like an Aamco commercial.

Bill58
Resident
Resident
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.2

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Check the #2 fan relay socket for heat damage or melting due to bad fan. Check fuses.
If your cel blinks when it surges it is misfiring and will kill the cat. Have you checked for any new codes from the surging?
FahrRollinImp

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Sounds like an Aamco commercial.

It doesn't -feel- like a slipping tranny, but I will check the fluid just to be sure.

Bill58 wrote:
Check the #2 fan relay socket for heat damage or melting due to bad fan. Check fuses.
If your cel blinks when it surges it is misfiring and will kill the cat. Have you checked for any new codes from the surging?

There is no blinking CEL, so I guess that is some good news... Will check the other details today, along with tranny fluid level and ignition wires.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: