NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Bad vibration Front left
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Bad vibration Front left
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject:  Bad vibration Front left Reply with quote

I believe it is from the front left, it starts off around 20mph and gets louder till around 60mph. At first when I noticed it I thought there was a crotch rocket around me or one of them ricers with a fart can, but neither was around, today it is quite a bit louder, and when I went from 60 to 0 ( seattle freeways) I heard a much louder vibration all the way into the steering wheel at a much more aggressive feel.
When I got home I turned the wheel and looked on the driver side, there was evidence of spatter all the way around in my wheel well, I looked at both boots, the one that is right by the tire looks fine, the one closer to the engine looks fine, Behind the boot however looks like a bunch of oil. But confused how that boot would be able to throw a spray pattern being that far in since the pattern is almost directly above the wheel. Any clue what my next step should be? Don't have a jack, (apt seattle living)

Thanks

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You should have a scissor jack in your trunk. Pop it up on that and take a better look at what is going on. Even if you can't see anything, it sounds like you are on the verge of a major failure (either a hub or an axle) that needs to be addressed quickly.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Damn, that sucks without a jack. Anyways got it up in the air finally and holding the wheel at 3-9 o'clock, there is play back and forth from 12-6 o'clock its fine, (if that even matters) so then I'm assuming my hub is toast?

Thanks

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Excessive play 3 to 9 is indicative of a tie rod problem. 12 to 6 is usually a sloppy wheel bearing. Can you get a better look at your inner and outer tie rod ends?

Dan wrote:

d
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just got back from the shop, they can't look at it until tmrw, so I told him the issue he says he thinks its an outer tie rod on explanation... Would that explain anything with the grease, since it probably spits when the wheel is turned..

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The outer tie rod doesn't have all that much grease inside it. If it's a ton of grease, it could be a leaky CV boot. They can leak around the edge of the boot and grease all over the place.

Dan wrote:

d
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Estimation of fixes? Non dealer ship., Theres not a ton of grease, but enough to notice when you look under the wheel well, I'd say if 100% of grease covered the wheel well area, it'd be 10-15% covered.. If that makes any sense.

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

To fix a tie rod, I'd guess around 100 bucks for a non-dealer repair plus an alignment. For a CV axle, I'd guess around 250-300. Difficult to say what might be required without actually seeing the car though.

Dan wrote:

d
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well just came back from the shop again, said it was a bad steering rack and pinion. Quoted me over 1g out the door. Said the part alone was 540ish, and a reman was 434. Rock auto has them for much less 320 W/O Core and 181 with core. Anyone ever change one out? I'd look but the search button isn't the same as it use to be :/

Thanks.!

Uber
Uber

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Decided to get a second opinion, Went to Midas this time instead of the usual place I go to. They told me, Also let me into the shop per their request, to show me what they have found, they test drove it as well, they said I have a bad bearing on the right side, (in other words HUB I'm assuming IIRC) The price they gave me for the part was a buck cheaper then rock auto and 1.5 hrs of labor came out to 295$, They said they felt nothing on the left side like I thought the noise was coming from, Also when I turn to the right the noise goes away, would that be because all the weight goes to the left, thus keeping weight off the hub?

Thanks.

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Midas is worthless... I wouldn't let them touch any vehicle I own. Do you know of any other trustworthy shop? Getting two completely different diagnoses doesn't really help if you can't figure out what the problem is.

That being said, it sounds like you probably have a wheel hub issues. Have you tried jacking up the car and listening to the wheel hub? If it's bad it'll usually make a gravelly noise when you rotate the wheel. Plus if it's making that horrible noise, you'll probably notice a ton of play in the wheel hub itself.

Dan wrote:

d
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had a better feel at midas then buckys, at buckys they had 4 different guys under my car at once, including shop manager.. i YouTube hub noise and mine sounds just like it, it gets louder the more gas I give it until I get to cruise then its not so annoying. He showed me play in the wheel I never really thought to check the right side, mainly cos I felt it in the pedal so I just assumed it was the left side.. not to mention they didn't charge me for the diagnosis like most shops here want 60$+ just to pull it in..

Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.07

2008 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's most likely the hub bearing... As a former owner of an 02 Impala 3.4, 08 Impala and current 06 Impala SS, I can tell you from what you're describing it is a bad hub bearing. It's a common problem with these cars and I've had to replace them on my first two impalas and the SS needs them now as well. For some reason the shops can't pinpoint the exactly what's wrong, I've been through what you're going through with all the different shops telling me what might be wrong and giving me 4 or more different answers and estimates.
...Make sure they're replaced with quality bearings too, I've always used Timken but I've heard SKF hubs are also good. Hope all goes well, good luck
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Tizzle625 wrote:
I've always used Timken but I've heard SKF hubs are also good. Hope all goes well, good luck

This is an important point. When my hubs were bad I couldn't find a place locally (besides the dealer) willing to install Timken bearings so I had to do it myself. Reading your thread again, it does sound like you have an issue with the hub, just make sure you figure out which one actually needs to be replaced before having it done.

Dan wrote:

d
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Didn't read the whole thread, but you don't want to change the rack and pinion in your driveway. You have to drop the cradle, it's a pain in the ass, you're not prepared to do it properly by a long shot and they don't rent the tools required at the parts store.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: