NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - AGM Battery
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

AGM Battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redshiba
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.1

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject:  AGM Battery Reply with quote

It's time for a new battery. My 49 month old Walmart MAXX is just about to die. The test machine says that it is only putting out 218 CCA's.

Are the Oreilly 78EXTAGM and Autozone 78-AGM batteries any better than the standard Lead Acid type battery?

Are the AGM's worth the extra $$$?

I can get a new 78 Group standard Lead Acid battery at Sam's Club for $82.99

The AGM's above sell for $143.99 & $144.99 respectively.

Any thoughts?

Posts per day: 0.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

if i was u i would get me a red top and be done for atleast 5 years
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm assuming AGM stands for absorbed glass mat - which is the technology used the the Optima batteries as well as others. IMO they are not worth the extra cost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V....._glass_mat

Redshiba
Dedicated
Dedicated

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I took my old Wally Mart battery out and It had a 3 year free replacement/108 month Prorated warranty. Walmart gave me a credit of $58.00 (I originally paid $69.00 + Tax 49 months ago).
I purchased a new Champion (CHAM-78N) battery. I hope that it lasts more than 49 months. 49 months is not bad but most of my batteries usually last 5-7 years.

This new battery has the PowerFrameŽ - technology. We will see if it is any better or not.

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com.....frame.html

http://www.powerframe.com/us/Home.aspx

Last edited by Redshiba on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you got 49 months from a car battery, you did well. Here in Florida, you are lucky to get a battery to last 36 months. That's the average, & I'm talking about $100+ Delco batteries. My last 2 batteries from Walmart barely lasted 28 months. And I don't even drive 12,000 miles a year. And it's funny, because whenever I buy a new battery, I mark the date on the battery with a marking crayon. When the battery dies, I think I'll get a free one under warranty because it's only 6 months old, but when I check the date, I can't believe it's already been over 2 years that I bought the battery. Time goes by quick. GARY

Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.33

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Don't like cheap batteries? Don't buy them.

9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Don't like cheap batteries? Don't buy them.
I base my statements on the fact that I sold $100+ Delco batteries at the GM dealership where I worked from 1980 until 2003, & seeing the customers 36 months later needing another battery. Sure, I bought my batteries at Walmart, but the hundreds of customers who paid twice what I did for a battery, & got only a few more months use, didn't seem too happy. In my mind, it wasn't worth it to pay twice the price for a battery, & get only 6 more months use. While the Delco batteries might have been poor, they weren't cheap. I have seen Delco batteries marked "made in USA, Canada, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, & Korea". It doesn't really matter whose name is on a battery, as there's only 4, or 5 companies making car batteries in this country. Maybe batteries last longer up north, but I would think the winter sub zero temps would be harder on a battery than our 95+ summer days down here. GARY

Redshiba
Dedicated
Dedicated

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The guy at Walmart put his little machine on the old battery to test it. The printout said that my old battery was only producing 218CCA's after 49 months. The printout
also said the average battery life in this area is only 38 months. I don't know where that data comes from but most all my batteries no matter what brand I seem to get 4-7 years out of them.
We have Hot dry summers and Cold snowy winters around here.

The only batteries that I ever had a problem with were 2 different ACDelco original factory batteries in two different W-body cars. Both cars
had the Positive post break off inside the battery and fall out with the battery cable still connected to it. At that point the acid inside the battery leaked out and made a big mess.

I have had really good luck with the Walmart & Sams Club batteried made by Johnson Controls.
I have them in all my vehicles, Motorhome and my Boat.

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com.....rands.html

http://www.yumasun.com/article.....mpany.html

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I get 6-7 years from a battery here in Ontario. We have a lot of moisture both in summer and winter, with summers getting into the 90s and winters to about -10.

I just buy the Canadian Tire (sort of like Walmart, but smaller), and spend about 100-120 on my batteries. I think the dealers here charge about 140-160 for a battery.

Never had any trouble with factory batteries lasting 6 or so years, either. Just never opted to pay more for stock when replacements are essentially the same performance for a little less money.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: