NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Low coolant light and occasional radiator leak.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Low coolant light and occasional radiator leak.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject:  Low coolant light and occasional radiator leak. Reply with quote

Well I've had the low coolant light on for about a month now. The first time I opened up the radiator and started pouring, I didn't even look first because it was telling me it was low. Well it was completely full and spilt everywhere.. Overflow was where it should be too, but I added a little just because. Well I've checked it periodically and it isn't low. So is this the sensor is bad or something?
Also, every now and then, when I park I notice that there is cooland slowly dripping from the radiator, can't tell where it's coming from, but it's the bottom dirvers side corner, almost like the area of the drain plug. I've checked the plug and its tight. And it only does it sometimes. So I have no clue on this one. Any ideas?

Also, do you need to replace the transmission pan gasket when you drop it or is it the rubber type?

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the coolant level sensor is the same in a 3400 as a 3800, but I had to replace mine two or three times in the time I owned the Monte Carlo. On the 3800, they are a pretty common failure. However, if you have a leak, it could be be an air bubble in the system. Did you try to bleed the system at all?

As far as the transmission pan gasket, as long as its in good shape you can go ahead and reuse it, but if you have any doubts about it's integrity, replace it while you are in there. I didn't replace it after a change and my trans pan would leak a drop or two intermittently and I just dealt with it until I had the trans rebuilt.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.95

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've had the same problem lately, pulled the radiator, turns out there's a hairline crack in it on the top, drivers side, facing the headlight.

Only leaks on really long trips, and its basically about 16 oz worth of refill every 2-3 weeks, so for now I'm leaving mine until i graduate in december and have time to fix it

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.12

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

This happened to me last year winter which really sucked cause I didn't have a garage heater. Anyway, for me the problem would get worse and worse until finially the crack turned into a bigger hole and started dumping coolant out to where I couldn't drive the impy. I would start saving up for a new radiator soon, you shouldn't have to go over 200 for one

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I tried to bleed the system when I flushed it but only coolant came out right away. Is there a better way to bleed it than letting the car run till its in closed loop and crack the valve where the hose meets the intake? I also have been finding that the coolant hoses look like there's coolant accumulated on the outside of them. Not like leaking, but like a greasy substance on parts of the outside of the hose.
Is there a way I can take a better look at the radiator without pulling it?

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
Bill58
Resident
Resident
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.2

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I say patch the leak with turbo and ss stickers. Laughing
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.95

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Bill58 wrote:
I say patch the leak with turbo and ss stickers. Laughing

I tried mine (as a temporary thing) with Flex Seal...those bastards lie it didn't work lol

Posts per day: 0.02

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have the same type of leak and am about to replace the radiator. My leak appears to be a hairline crack in the plastic by the upper hose. Does anybody know of shortcuts in swapping the radiator? Can you leave the fans attached?

9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just went through a rad swap on my 05. The fan assy came out separately, the air filter box came out, & the reinf bars from the fender to rad supt came out. After that, it was pretty easy. Good luck. GARY

Domo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.09

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
2005 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had that leak on the plastic part of my radiator as well. I ended up just replacing my radiator. Wasn't difficult. I just had to burp the system ALOT since I didnt flush it (had just had a flush done)
HHR

Posts per day: 0.02

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Domo wrote:
I had that leak on the plastic part of my radiator as well. I ended up just replacing my radiator. Wasn't difficult. I just had to burp the system ALOT since I didnt flush it (had just had a flush done)

This is a cool way to bleed the system with no mess or problems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....ata_player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: