NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Cooling fans not working....
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Cooling fans not working....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legotech7

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject:  Cooling fans not working.... Reply with quote

I have noticed my car over heating yesterday and the gauge goes somewhat over the middle, enough to make me nervous. So today I check and see if the cooling fans after I let warm up for about 20 min. , They didn't come on . So I turn the Air conditioner on, and still the fans don't come on. I put the scanner to it and get a PO480 code. Are one of my relays bad? How can I test to see if one of the relays are shot. I tested to see if the fans were good by directly adding 12 volts to the connectors on both fans and they were OK. so I know the fans work. I'm hoping its just the relays. My understanding of electrical systems is not very good, but any help on the would be greatly appreciated. Oh.... Could it have anything to do with a CTS sensor what ever that is? Its a 2000 LS w/ 3.8 I really need to resolve this asap as this is my daily driver.

Thanks again, Joe
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.57

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

you can swap relays with something that isnt needed for the car to run. Just make sure the relays are the same.

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I tried swapping the relays but the still didn't come on. I hooked a scanner to it bad I got a PO480 code cooling fan control relay at fault. Could it just be the relay? In my owners manual this is the middle relay ( fan cont # 2 ) in the fuse panel. I won't have the car till tomorrow, so I'll check it then.

Thanks for the input.....
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
you can swap relays with something that isnt needed for the car to run. Just make sure the relays are the same.
When I first got my Impala, I went to the local U-pick to get a trunk carpet, as mine was missing. It was only a few bucks, but I found some similar GM year cars, & loaded my pockets with about 25 relays, & fuses to have as spares. They are all numbered so it's easy to make sure you try the correct one. It's always good to have spare parts around, & I leave them in a Tupperware container in the trunk. GARY

outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

^this I haven't had to buy a fuse/relay in years.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: