NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Upper Rdiator hose....
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Upper Rdiator hose....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legotech7

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject:  Upper Rdiator hose.... Reply with quote

I was trying to replace a upper radiator hose on my 2000 Impala, with a 3.8.
Looked easy enough, but the hose clamp near the air filter housing was impossible to get too. So I had to remove the air filter housing and to my surprise a computer module was hiding in the air box. Anyway I removed ever so carefully and set it aside. Well after 4 trips to my local auto parts store, I could not get a replacement hose that would fit exactly like the original. They were either too long and would kink at some point or the bends weren't right, leaving them squeezed or pinched along the length of the hose, so off off he dealer I go to try to get a replacement. My question might be, does the hose go under the computer harness or over it. I failed to take note as to how it went when I removed the hose. My bad.... Also that module is rather difficult to put back in the air box. Any suggestions or Ideas would be very much appreciated..

Thanks..... Oh... those Haynes manuals for this car ? Garbage, don't bother with them....
ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.49

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Aftermarket hoses are generally designed to be trimmed for your application. I have had the best luck with Gates hoses not needing to be trimmed. O'reillys sells Gates, Advance sell Dayco which suck for having to trim them. I don't have a stock airbox and don't remember which way the wires run, but keeping them away from anything hot is always a plus

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I just replaced both original rad hoses on my 05 3800 Impala, with Goodyear hoses. They fit perfectly w/o any trimming. GARY

legotech7

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yea, I just finished replacing the upper hose I got from O'reillys but still had to trim it, but worked out fine. What I didn't have the forethought to do was to replace the thermostat, while I was at it. I have that fluctuating temp Gage thing that everyone seems to have, I believe, because of the thermostat. Oh well, next time.

Did anyone have to bleed their system? Maybe that would help with the over heating issue!..
Thanks all for your input, great site.........

Side note: how can I post pics that aren't from Image Shack?
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you need to fill the radiator, & drive right away, then yes, you should bleed the system. In my case I filled the coolant, ran the car for 10 minutes, let it cool, then loosened the cap. I filled the coolant reservoir, Then repeated the cycle 2 more times. The radiator sucks coolant from the reservoir during cool down, & loosening the cap "burps" the system. Since I was in the auto parts business, I'm used to changing a therm if I need hoses. In my case, there was a therm in the engine, but the guts were all eaten away, so in reality, there was no therm. I did go with the 195 therm, as that's what the PCM needs to operate correctly for a stock engine/PCM combo. My temp gage sits 2 marks below the halfway mark, even at operating temp with the A/C on. It does fluctuate slightly as the therm opens, & closes. GARY

Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
Did anyone have to bleed their system? Maybe that would help with the over heating issue!...

3.4/3.1L motors have two bleeders, 3.8L just has one. They're brass, and the only brass parts you'll see on top of the engine so it's easy to find. Take out the little plug from the big plug, usually a 7mm or 5.5mm. Add coolant. Put the plug back in once coolant flows steadily from the bleeder. The stock bleeder is cheap and doesn't stay together, you can replace it with a quick-screw bleeder with a little drain attachment if you want but that's a waste of money according to Beater Economics. Ideally you do all your bleeding on a cold motor but that doesn't really work - especially for the 3.1/3.4L because of the way it's plumbed. If you have a funnel that costs more than $3, that can make the job more pleasant. Doesn't work with the 3.1/3.4L. I've always had to let the 60deg motors bleed hot, it's a pain in the ass but it's done in like five minutes so who cares. Don't get burned.

legotech7

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thank you Gary.. Ill try the " Burping " method.....
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject:  Re: Upper Rdiator hose.... Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
I was trying to replace a upper radiator hose on my 2000 Impala, with a 3.8. My question might be, does the hose go under the computer harness or over it. I failed to take note as to how it went when I removed the hose. My bad....
I just looked at my bone stock 05 Impala w/3800 engine. The PCM harness goes under the rad hose. GARY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: