NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - BBQ Smokers?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

BBQ Smokers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject:  BBQ Smokers? Reply with quote

I've been getting into smoking pork on the barbeque with a small smoker box, and I'm wondering if any other members spend much time with their bbqs/smokers.

If so, does anyone use meat syringes to add moisture or flavoring to their cuts?

Planning on doing another pork shoulder this weekend, both cuts, and wondering if I should invest in a syringe or not.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.95

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Two items on my Xmas list are a smoker and a dehydrator. Ive been wanting them for a while. Right now I just like to eat bbq. Lol

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
Two items on my Xmas list are a smoker and a dehydrator. Ive been wanting them for a while. Right now I just like to eat bbq. Lol

I'll post pics and my recipe Saturday or Sunday - the last pork shoulder I smoked was shoulder-butt and it turned out pretty amazing. I look forward to improving it this time around, though Very Happy

I use a ten dollar smoker box and actual wood chips (cherry and apple), just on my regular grill. My brother bought a smoker, and it may just be the type of wood pellets he uses, but the smoke overpowers the meat.

As for dehydrators, there's one on my christmas list as well. My buddy has one and makes beef jerkey all the time, I'm jealous. But... my BBQ is way bigger than his Laughing

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
20SS07
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.65

2009 Toyota Tacoma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've been wanting to pick up a smoker for some time.

Jesus created the internet and puppies and dandelions and kittens and sunny days and lollipops and impalas and turbochargers and pizza and beer and wings and boobies and blowjobs and pizza and pizza and pizza and beer and snow days and football and cheerleaders and drag radials and nascar and everything else that's awesome.

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
It's hard to find retards of this quality in such masses. It's truly amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm finally starting deer hunting (been doing shotgun season on duck) but IL sucks with rifles, so we can only bow hunt.

But starting next year I'll be starting bow hunting for deer so I want a dehydrator for jerky lol. BTW if you ever get a hold of some, try alligator jerky. best jerky I've ever had in MO.

Feel free to freeze some meat and send it my way for a second opinion lol

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
Yeah, I'm finally starting deer hunting (been doing shotgun season on duck) but IL sucks with rifles, so we can only bow hunt.

But starting next year I'll be starting bow hunting for deer so I want a dehydrator for jerky lol. BTW if you ever get a hold of some, try alligator jerky. best jerky I've ever had in MO.

I have a buddy who hunts with bows and rifles, and he prefers his bow. You can get some pretty high-powered bows. Said buddy has indicated that arrowheads also aren't stopped by kevlar vests Confused lol. I didn't ask for any further info on that one.

We don't have gators or crocodiles up here, I doubt it's the type of thing that would be imported either. Would be interesting to try though.

Fresh meat only! I never freeze meat unless it's something crapy like ground beef for spaghetti, a big tray of fresh chicken wings, or whole chickens for rotisserie.

Next week I'm going to smoke some chicken wings. Should be interesting Very Happy

blacknome
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Astro
1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I started smoking on my old camp BBQ grill last fall. Mostly ribs & tenderloin but we have done a couple pork shoulders then toss them in the slowcooker with some sauce to make pulled pork sammiches !! First couple times I too found the flavour too harsh because I was smoking it too much. Now instead of using green wood I use a base of hardwood charcoal and every so often I toss in some applewood chips soaked overnite in applejuice just to introduce the smokey flavour without overpowering the meat. I put on a rub leaving that overnite then use a syringe on the shoulder using the juice that comes out from the overnite rub back into the meat. Then cut small pockets in the meat big enough for your little finger for cloves of garlic and fresh herbs. I have a gang coming over this weekend so I have 2 small shoulders to smoke on saturday then serve sunday. Really I dunno if the syringe makes a huge differnce or not.

What are you using for a smoker ?? One of the egg shaped ones or an old converted BBQ like me ?
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

blacknome wrote:
What are you using for a smoker ?? One of the egg shaped ones or an old converted BBQ like me ?

I use my Weber, like the one linked here (I paid about half of what they're charging): http://www.barbequesandmore.co.....?number=91 . It's my everyday grill: I don't have a backup or beater grill just for smoking.

It has two porcelain grates inside: I remove the left grate and put in a small stainless box full of wood chips, unsoaked. It has a lid on it with small holes which allows the wood to smoke but not burn. I leave the shoulder on the second grate.

I've never cut into meat specifically for putting spices inside.. I think I may skip buying the syringe this time and see if I can improve on the last pork shoulder I did.

Not sure if that makes sense, but I'll take pics when I do it.

00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
00impala123 wrote:

I have a buddy who hunts with bows and rifles, and he prefers his bow. You can get some pretty high-powered bows. Said buddy has indicated that arrowheads also aren't stopped by kevlar vests Confused lol. I didn't ask for any further info on that one.

We don't have gators or crocodiles up here, I doubt it's the type of thing that would be imported either. Would be interesting to try though.

Fresh meat only! I never freeze meat unless it's something crapy like ground beef for spaghetti, a big tray of fresh chicken wings, or whole chickens for rotisserie.

Next week I'm going to smoke some chicken wings. Should be interesting Very Happy

Yeah, there's no doubt the bow's are strong, I've shot before, just never hunted with them. Next fall (2013) I'll be taking a trip to wyoming for some big game rifle hunting..now THAT is my kind of hunting

Yeah, IDK if MO has them either, but they have the jerky. Come to think of it, last jerky shop in Michigan I was at had it too..and I KNOW theres no gators there lol. You might be able to find it.

This summer i tried a load of different ones, kangaroo, wild boar, deer, elk, steak, and a few others...kangaroo taste like plastic lol. the rest were great.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I havent done any syringe related flavoring but I have had good luck with Jack Daniels wood chips Very Happy I love my charcoal barrel smoker

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VTSS wrote:
I havent done any syringe related flavoring but I have had good luck with Jack Daniels wood chips Very Happy I love my charcoal barrel smoker

I have heard a number of people say they like the Jack Daniels wood chips, but I'm not a big fan of Jack Daniels itself and wouldn't be impressed if I ruined a long-cooking cut of meat by using them. I'll have to get an invite next time someone uses these chips Laughing

There are a lot of good smoker ideas out there, but here in suburbia, there's not a lot of room to store and operate the elaborate "authentic" ones. And the neighbours would completely flip out to see any sort of fire that's not contained in a bbq. I wish I had something like a charcoal barrel Neutral

I've had the shoulder on the barbeque for three hours now (started at 11pm) and just changed the wood chips with fresh ones. It's smelling awesome around here. Looking forward to dinner today!

bigsapper
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.02

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Big Green Egg.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/
slim-rob
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 1.1

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Silverado
2010 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i inject marinade in my meat, def adds some flavor. I don't smoke much, but when I do I use mesquite. But that's because we have it everywhere down here, easy to come by

bbengineer wrote:

Try masturbating... your car will thank you

BBEngineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So I ended up only looking the butt shoulder, no injection. Here's some pics!

My BBQ, Weber Genesis 320.

The wood chips I used (apple and cherry)

Recipe I use (one mix is good for 4 pounds of raw pork shoulder, since it has so many folds and separate muscles to work the rub into)

Raw pork, just set onto the barbeque. You can see the left grille is removed and the smoker box sits right on the flavorizer bars. I don't soak the chips, but I change them every 2-3 hours up until about 9 hours in. The first few pictures are dark because I started the meat at 11pm. Set it at 225 and leave it there until it's done!

After 5 hours, start spraying with a mop (I just use apple juice and brown sugar). Sprayed every half hour when checking the bbq to make sure the flame hasn't blown out.

I foiled the meat after 8 hours, in the middle of the temperature stall (when the meat stops rising in temperature and the fats and connective tissue break down into gelatin, making the meat "fall apart"). If you get impatient and pull the meat off the grill before it hits 190/195 degrees, you'll have a tough time pulling it apart, and probably end up bending forks or serving it sliced.

I got distracted when the meat was done and when I was serving it, so here's a pic of my snack this morning!

yeah, I got lazy and used a bottled barbeque sauce, after all the effort of making the shoulder in the first place

Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: