NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Line Level Converter / Amp question(s)
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Line Level Converter / Amp question(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patyson
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.28

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Question Line Level Converter / Amp question(s) Reply with quote

I'm reading a lot of different suggestions...not sure which way to go.I am using the stock HU.

For the Line Level Converter...do I really need to tap into the system/speaker side at the HU,or can I do so at/into the rear (stock) speaker(s) or at the stock amp?

Also,can I tap into the "remote on" line at the factory amp to feed the new amp for the new sub? The amp is the Pioneer monoblock I bought from iffyG,with a new 10" Kicker sub.

I also have a brand new set of Alpine 6x9's...they are 4ohm,however,and I was wondering if they can be wired to 2ohm,or should I just look to sell or trade them for a 2ohm set?

* I have started the "BIG 3 UPGRADE" ...(#4) cables cut to length,and plan on using the "crimp lugs" I got from work,which are just taped on right now,'til I take 'em to work and use our crimp tool to button 'em up.

Thanx for any and all feedback,

P A Tyson

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.29

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You can tap into the wiring at the stock amp. That way it's all hidden under the rear deck cover. I'm unsure if I tapped into the wires b4 or after the amp,.. it's been a while, and may not even matter.

Yes, tap into the remote turn on lead at the stock amp as well. Works fine.

Are you sure your stock setup is 2 ohm? Not all of them were. I may be wrong, but I think using the 4ohm speakers will be OK, they just wont play as loud. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Smile

Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanx ZSPOT. I was actually aware of the sound-loss issue...but,I wasn't looking forward to a swap that I may not be happy with. The rear stockers read 2ohm. Sad

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
patyson
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ok,I'm pretty much down to the "remote on" hookup. I'm getting 14+ volts off of 3 different pins regardless of what position the key is in. Get about 7ish on all other pins in that harness. Nothing whatsoever from any pins in the other harness...isn't/shouldn't one of those pins be "switched"? What am I missing?

Thanx

Well,it looks as if it turned out to be the "white wire" for me at least...AMP and SUB working well. Seemingly some kind of delay or door open/closed issue...still not completely clear why.Need to do a lil' fine tuning and dress up the wiring in the trunk,but other than that,I'll consider it "fixed". Did notice a slight dimming/flashing of the headlights when she pumps hard,so I guess I know my next move,which I'm already trying to address.

Unless someone wants to chime in...I'll move on.

Thanx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: