NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - PCM upgrade or not?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

PCM upgrade or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.3

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject:  PCM upgrade or not? Reply with quote

I recently picked up a 9C3 2005 Impala. The car runs great. I just purchased a LSS full inst cluster, to replace my "taxicab cluster" since I will always be looking at it while in the car. I'm not really looking to do many upgrades, but I did install the STB's & Don Rome brackets. My racing days are over, & in the past, I'd install headers, aluminum intake, & carb, & B&M shift kit set for street. But it seems today all these improvements can be had with a "tuner" setting on the PCM. I did e-mail Overkill, but didn't hear back, so I'll post my question here. Again, the car runs great. But is it possible to get better low end pickup, stiffer shifts, & better gas mileage? While pulling out into street 40 mph traffic, & hardly pressing on the gas, the trans holds 1st, & 2nd nicely, doesn't stay in 3rd very long, but again, the engine seems happy doing this. Just installed a new 195 therm, coolant flush, & rad cap. Many people never change the cap, but that was my problem before changing it. The gage stays 2 marks below half, & that's fine. So will a reprogram improve shifts,low end pickup, & gas mileage? [is it possible to improve pickup & gas mileage] Or do I just say the car is running great, & leave it alone. My drive ratio is 3.29. I've always said if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Thanks for any help. GARY
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.5

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have and will continue to tune every car I've owned or will own.

Yes its possible to see an improved MPG while adding performance. GM, along with all other manufacturers tune a car for a "family feel", leaving so much potential locked away.

However, before a tune, I would do a cold air intake and u-bend delete.

Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.42

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Overkill will wake the car right up. Low end balls all day

9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm familiar with a cold air intake, but what is a u-bend delete? GARY
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.46

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
I'm familiar with a cold air intake, but what is a u-bend delete? GARY

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.39

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I am lucky and live near overkill so with my mods did a incar tune with 91 octane and woke the car up bigtime, and at the same time if I am driving like a model citizen i get 36 mpg highway and 28 mpg in town.
Its worth every penny. If you can afford a 2.5''-3.0'' downpipe buy it. that gets rid of the u-bend and gives your a bigger downpipe.
I went the route of getting rid of the u-bend and keeping my stock downpipe, then later I wanted a bigger downpipe so it was a waste deleting the u-bend lols.[/b]

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Boy lot's to learn. Since the O2 sensor is relocated with the u-bend delete, or downpipe, is the wiring for the sensor long enough, or is an extension required? GARY N4KVE
Wingman520
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 1.15

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
Boy lot's to learn. Since the O2 sensor is relocated with the u-bend delete, or downpipe, is the wiring for the sensor long enough, or is an extension required? GARY N4KVE

with the ubend delete it basically relocates the o2 sensor from the top to the side of the vehicle... no modification needed...

this is the dp i had before i went the header route

as you can see the o2 sensor is relocated to the side and the u-bend is removed... this was purchased at summit racing... magnaflow brand i think???

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: