NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - CEL Code P0141
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

CEL Code P0141

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redshiba
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.1

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject:  CEL Code P0141 Reply with quote

The 02 LS 3.8 has been running great for a long time now. This morning on my way home from work I got the CEL P0141. I guess it's time for some work.

I hate O2 sensor codes! What a pain.

Dedicated
Dedicated

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

P0141 came back on 9/28/12. I just cleared it again. We'll see how long is takes for it to come back again.

Any suggestions on what to replace or look at to solve this issue?

Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

P0141 B1S2 HO2S Malfunction

Click the wiring diagram to make it bigger:

O2 heater malfunction is pretty straightforward to diag. It's probably a sensor failure, but could be a wiring failure. What you need to know first, B1S2 is the post-cat O2S and is accessible from under the car. You'll need an ohmmeter/multimeter, and a lift or jack/jackstands/creeper. If you don't have a meter, this one is a good value. I have it, and I use it at home all the time. You can buy it at Walmart for $25 in the automotive section if you want it faster. At work it's Fluke or nothing, but the import meter gets the job done fine. You know techs, all about the glamour tools...

Start with the car cold. 70F/20C is ideal, but whatever room temp is that's fine. Just don't start with it hot because the readings won't be right when we get to using that meter and you could burn yourself and that sucks.

Stop at whatever step you found a problem in, then clear code and set the Drive Cycle HO2S Monitor to test.

1. First things first, check the fuse in the dist block next to the battery. Pretty sure it's marked O2 on the chart. Since you don't have P0135 set, it's probably good. Fuse good? Move on. Fuse bad? Good times.

2. Block the rear tires, jack and support the vehicle. Don't be a statistic, use a good jack and jackstands. Grab as much light as you can, and your creeper and meter, and get under there. Cardboard is cool too if you don't have a creeper and don't want to buy one.

3. Inspect B1S2 HO2S. It lives in the evil U-bend behind the cat. Is it intact, and does the wiring look normal? Use your smartphone and take a photo if you're not sure. Repair/replace as needed.

4. Unplug B1S2 HO2S and turn your meter on to the ohmmeter setting. (Ω) Measure across the heater terminals on the sensor side - the pink and black wire. If your HO2S is aftermarket, color may not match. You should see 2-20Ω resistance. If too high, too low, or if your meter displays OL, replace the sensor.

5. Start the car. Measure for DC voltage () on the car side of the HO2S circuit pink/black wires. You should see 12V. If you don't, test black for ground and pink for V+ separately. Turn off the car. Repair wiring as needed.

That's pretty much it. It's highly likely you have a failed sensor or broken wire.

Redshiba
Dedicated
Dedicated

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Great info. I'll give it a try when I get some time.

I do have a cheap Craftsman Multi Meter.

Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: