NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Radiator Fan Assembly Replacement
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Radiator Fan Assembly Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FahrRollinImp

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject:  Radiator Fan Assembly Replacement Reply with quote

I did a search and couldn't find anything (prolly because it is so bloody simple, but)... What all is involved in this repair? On a budget, so I can't yet afford alldatadiy.com or Chilton/Haynes.

Just drain and disconnect the radiator, and remove it, and swap it over?

Sorry for the probably dumb question; just trying to make sure I can do this in one swooop... (It's the wifes' car, and she is none too pleased with me).

Cheers!
SuperImpala00
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm normally not too critical of someone asking for help but really? you can't afford a Haynes/Chilton manual? I would recommend going to your local library to see if you can't locate an Impala manual, you'd be surprised. While easy to remove, there's some little stuff that can't possible be written down for me to convey what needs to be done to replace the radiator properly. Do yourself a favor and check the library as that's the cheapest bet.
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

For replacing just the fans you don't need to drain the radiator. There's a clip on the top of the fan shroud, pull that off. There is a bolt on each side of the shroud that screws into the radiator. Disconnect the two plugs that plug into the fans, and detach the wiring harness from it. Remove the dogbones. You may also need to remove the dogbone brackets. Then it should just pull up and out. Real simple.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
zvm77
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

so here are some answers instead of criticism (which are easy to give as the poster 2 post above me).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Hfl31sdu8
http://www.ehow.com/how_663422.....mpala.html
FahrRollinImp

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

SuperImpala00 wrote:
I'm normally not too critical of someone asking for help but really? you can't afford a Haynes/Chilton manual?

Yes. And while you might think I am just offering that so that I can get some 'unearned' help from you, I am well aware that this is not the place to offer up personal matters when I don't know you. If you are still wound-up about the fact that I am worse than broke, PM me and I can introduce myself to you and to my life situation; this would be much more appropriate than doing so on a 'how-to' forum.

Thank the other two posters for your -specific- replies! OnTheTiles - sounds like you have done it before, thanks for the blow-by-blow. To the other poster, I will watch the vids at home, I can't play them while at work.

Again, thank you both!
FahrRollinImp

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Great details, just watched the vid and read the description; nothing too hard.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a supplier for the assembly? Or a particular brand to buy? Or avoid?

Thanks again.

OH, and the video seems to suggest that the Heavy Duty version is a bolt-in; is that true?
SuperImpala00
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

FahrRollinImp wrote:
Great details, just watched the vid and read the description; nothing too hard.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a supplier for the assembly? Or a particular brand to buy? Or avoid?

Thanks again.

OH, and the video seems to suggest that the Heavy Duty version is a bolt-in; is that true?

not sure for the heavy duty, if you can't get the ac delco replacement, which is pricey, the one I purchased from Rockauto was the delphi unit. apparently it's the OEM one for $100 less than the ac delco. WARNING: you will have to do some drilling for the low coolant sensor to connect into the radiator but thats about it.
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have the heavy duty fans in my car. Can't say if they bolt because I have a Grand Prix GTP radiator which is slightly different, but I would imagine it would bolt to a regular Impala radiator. Worth it? Probably not unless you're going to be idling in hot weather with your AC on for long periods of time.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
zvm77
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

look at the gm sticker on the radiator fan. I have a heavy duty one out of the car in my basement and it says on the number 8902251. As far as the oe mfr mine wasn't Delphi it was actually Siemens. I think the sticker is on the passenger side of the fan facing the engine. Here is a pic of the heavy duty fan and its tag.

FahrRollinImp

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wellllll...

I went ahead and bought the aftermarket HD fan assembly OReilly's had, was made by VDO. Well packaged, seemed okay really. ONLY THING WAS, it didn't exactly bolt up. The shroad was built differently on the top corners, making it difficult to mount as-is. SO, I cut the corners off to mimic the original. I would have just taken the fans off the new shroud and put them on the old, but I didn't have a drill to drill-out the rivets holding the fans on. It worked fine, with two exceptions; the First being that the main fan is larger (duh), and therefore the original heat shield would not transfer over to the new shroud without me snipping and re-bending it. I would like to find the correct heat shield for it. Second, the CEL came on not long before I replaced the fans, P0481 if I remember correctly, which is Fan 2 Relay bad. I replaced it with a Borg/Warner unit also from OReillys', and it went out for a little bit but is back on now...

Is the computer freaking out because I have a bigger fan in there than I originally did? Is there anything else I need to do to get the CEL to switch-off, other than pestering the guys at OReillys with their scanner?

Thanks very much,

D
FahrRollinImp

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

No suggestions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: