NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Running real rough after fill-up. - Fixed
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Running real rough after fill-up. - Fixed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Bad ! Running real rough after fill-up. - Fixed Reply with quote

Here's the story: The gas guage was a little over 1/4 tank so went to my local Phillips and just filled it up. When I restarted the car after I was done and ready too leave the engine started loping hard. On the way home the CEL started flashing and it was also hard to get up too speed. Out of of curiosity (and wishful thinking) I unplugged the MAF sensor connector. Made no difference. What can I do?? It's never ran this bad before. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.

Last edited by PushrodPower on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds like an old wive's tale, but it could be bad gasoline. I had a friend who had to have her van towed because she filled up at Esso and it'd just sputter when she tried to start it. She managed to buy some water with her gasoline, I guess...

I'd drain the tank and fill up with a jerry can of good gas from somewhere else.

Easiest way to drain the tank IMO would be to put a big, shallow pan under the fuel filter and disconnect it, then turn the ignition to on. The pump will run continuously to try and prime the fuel lines, but the open end at the fuel filter will be whizzing out the gas. If you got a full tank of crapy gas, you'll have to turn the key on and off a few times while you figure out what to do with the bad gas (unless you have a container to hold 64L of fuel)

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.

Last edited by Lingenfelter on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Flashing CEL is usually a misfire, maybe caused by bad gas. It has happened twice in the past year at the station I usually go to Shocked bad/watery gas and Mobil had to fix several customers vehicles because of it.

Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I was thinking water in the gas. Try a bottle or two of the stuff that eats water out of your tank. Can't think of the name but it cost's about $2-$3 at most places. Gas stations sell them too.
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

But right after fill-up having the hesitation?

I'm going to think it was just coincidence of a hot-start. Bad gas shouldn't make a change on start-up after fill-up.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

chibiblacksheep wrote:

I'm going to think it was just coincidence of a hot-start. Bad gas shouldn't make a change on start-up after fill-up.

The fuel in the lines can last as little as 1 or 2 miles. Someone filled my boss' tank with diesel without her noticing and she made it less than 2 miles before the car completely died.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
chibiblacksheep wrote:

The fuel in the lines can last as little as 1 or 2 miles. Someone filled my boss' tank with diesel without her noticing and she made it less than 2 miles before the car completely died.
\

Right, and he said it happened right on startup after fill-up. Not anywhere close to fuel going through the lines.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

^ Fair enough, I didn't read it so close as to realize it was immediate.

So Pushrod, has the issue persisted? What code was thrown on the drive away from the gas station?

It is true that some of our cars have hard starts when the motor is still hot, for whatever reason. But even when I do get the odd hard (hot engine) start, there are no issues that continue into the drive.

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
^ Fair enough, I didn't read it so close as to realize it was immediate.

So Pushrod, has the issue persisted? What code was thrown on the drive away from the gas station?

It is true that some of our cars have hard starts when the motor is still hot, for whatever reason. But even when I do get the odd hard (hot engine) start, there are no issues that continue into the drive.

I didn't get the code read, but as of 5 minutes ago it's still running idling like crap. Most notably in gear or neutral. I may try some of that gas drier as mentioned. Thank you everyone for your replies. Smile

04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It could have also be a coincidence that it happened after getting gas. Could have lost a plug wire or a plug could be fouled. Definitely get the codes read to point you in the right direction too

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
It could have also be a coincidence that it happened after getting gas. Could have lost a plug wire or a plug could be fouled. Definitely get the codes read to point you in the right direction too

As much as hate driving it on a misfire I will get the codes read too point me in the right direction. I will post results soon. Hopefully it'll be a cheap fix and I'll be square again. I always prided the car for running so well now this shows up. Evil or Very Mad

EDIT: I had the codes read and it came up as random misfire. I bought some Thermo aid gas treatment from NAPA and put it in the tank. It's also a gas drier for any water in the gas. I also disconnected the battery for s**t and giggles. I'm going too go out soon and see if it runs any better.

Another edit: I hooked the battery back up, started it and it still runs the same. I also forgot to mention I'm getting a noticeable gasoline odor when standing outside the car while it's running. I don't know what else too do know. Could it be evap related?

04ImpalaSS wrote:

wedebrook wrote:

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Look over all your plug wires and even the plugs if the wires turn out fine. I had a misfire once because one of the rear plug wires touched the downpipe, melted through and started arching off the O2 sensor. The raw fuel smell can be caused by unburned fuel in the cylinder, no spark= no ignition.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Turned out too be Number 3 spark plug was bad. I changed it and runs like a champ now. Dance The electrode had a white color to it. Is that a lean condition? Why would it be like that?

04ImpalaSS wrote:

wedebrook wrote:

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: