NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Another "Stuck in Park" thread, photos included
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Another "Stuck in Park" thread, photos included

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgilius
Uber
Uber
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.3

1983 Ford Thunderbird
2004 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject:  Another "Stuck in Park" thread, photos included Reply with quote

Hey all, funny thing happened on my way home from work. My lovely wife calls and says "The car starts but I can't shift it out of park". Hmmmm, where have I heard this before? Oh yeah..... NAIOA threads, LOL I headed over to Allendale to pick her up, and while I am enroute she looked up the problem on her work computer. I was able to access the lockout solenoid and shift the car out of park, and headed home. Once home, I removed the center console, and sure enough, the black wire had fatigued and had broken out of the plug. The wires had been run (what I consider to be) incorrectly at the factory. Photo A....

After pulling the plug apart and reinstalling the wire properly, I ran the wires in a much smarter way, allowing for more than sufficient travel through the range of the shifter. Photo B......

It would be a good idea for those with the 06+ cars to pop the shifter bezel and see how the lockout wires are run. It could save you from being stranded in the drive through at the golden arches, the mall, or your in law's house. The shifter bezel pops up easy enough with gentle prying. Six screws and two friction doohickeys to remove the console, and don't forget to disconnect the 12 volt harness on the driver's side under the shifter bezel. Hope this helps someone else out. Peace, John

www.afgwm.org
www.pwctoday.com
www.focusfanatics.com
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.44

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hey thx 4 teh headsup. I should check it before it happens but knowing me I probably won't, and I will get stuck somewhere. But at least now I will know why.

lostwrench
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and pix.
Making an inspection of my wires will be this afternoon's project.
americanmade92
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.17

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Definitely will check this out

lostwrench
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

lostwrench wrote:
Thanks for the info and pix.
Making an inspection of my wires will be this afternoon's project.

Ok, I got in there on the 09 and the first thing I noticed was that the wires were taped together at the assembly plant with common electrical tape. I was able to get a bit more slack on the wires by tugging on the lower ends and by re-bending them. The greatest strain on them I found was that when the shift lever was placed into position "1" the taped together wires would elbow between the floor carpeting and the foam which is glued onto the inside of the console. True, we are rarely in shift lever position "1" but I thought the resistance from the wires going in and out from between the carpeting and the foam was significant enough that I removed the foam from the inside of the console in the area where the foam contacted the wires.

Thanks for posting this topic, John.
2008BlueImpalaLTZ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

GM issued TSB #08-07-30-007B - "Key Cannot Be Removed from Igntion with Gear Selector in Park, Shifter Cannot Be Moved from Park Position (Repair/Reroute Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) Solenoid Harness) - (June 8, 2009).

The TSB applies to all 2007 - 2009 Impalas and includes three pictures in the TSB to show the incorrect and correct routing of the harness.

This post with pictures is an excellent one! Thank you.
jgilius
Uber
Uber
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.3

1983 Ford Thunderbird
2004 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not a problem. It's great to have to have this forum to find out stuff about our rides. if it wasn't for NAIOA, I would never have known about the DOD making my headlights flicker, rotting mufflers, melted rear defroster wiring, tweaked suspensions from the factory, or Helldorado. It's amazing that (like every other error from the factory) it takes online forums to bring these problems to light. Lostwrench, I'm glad you got yours taken care of before it became a problem for you. It frustrated my wife who was driving (uhh, trying to drive) the car, and it was fortunate that it didn't cost us any money in towing or repair shop costs. Some of that saved money is going to go back into NAIOA next week in the form of a donation. Peace, John

www.afgwm.org
www.pwctoday.com
www.focusfanatics.com
wde3477
Cadet
Cadet
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.03

2008 Chevrolet Impala
1989 Ford F150
1981 Jeep Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

FWIW - the button with the small dob of green marker is what needs to be pushed in for a manual bypass so as to get on home where one can think and have access to the good toolset. Or, in my case, to make do until I had time to fool with it. Smile

Can be reached through the top of the console with a long thin screwdriver or similar semi-rigid flat piece of something after removing the woodgrain trim on top and fishing down. Flashlight helps greatly to see what's going on during the fishing expedition.

2014 F150 4x4 - too new to rate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: