NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Wanna top swap my GF 01 LS
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Wanna top swap my GF 01 LS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.8

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject:  Wanna top swap my GF 01 LS Reply with quote

Got my gurl an 01 LS 4 days ago for $1000 and i wanna top swap it for her. The bad is that the tranny is on its way out and me knowing the 3.8 engines inside out i decided it would be a breeze to repair or replace. How hard is it to replace a tranny? All i have replaced and removed so far have been engines and never done a tranny before. Should i get an 04 tranny for the top swap?

Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3183434
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.57

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Why would you want to top swap a beater?

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:

because racecar. duhh Laughing

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I say do it! It's not like it's really expensive to do anyway. You're not going for a full out build, just a little more pep Very Happy

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
I've got my own world to live through, and I ain't gonna copy you.
helldorado
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.51

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2005 Infiniti G35
2008 Subaru Impreza
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Toyota Space Cruiser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject:  Re: Wanna top swap my GF 01 LS Reply with quote

GOTIT4CHEAP16 wrote:
Got my gurl an 01 LS 4 days ago for $1000

Most girls put out more with jewelry. I don't know a lot who get excited by Impalas. Laughing

Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Only fat girls drive Impalas. They'll put out for McGriddles.

EMMJAY
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Dodge Magnum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I say do it, you can do the work yourself which would be most of the cost normally....I think if you can have the confidence to tear into the motor you should be able to swap the trans out once u get in there....im sure theres someone on here that can give ya tips/hints. good luck!

helldorado wrote:
EMMJAY, your car is coming together nicely as well!

Frank4202 wrote:
EMMJAY, you and I have always had the same taste in cars Hang Head 2
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Don't you already have a top swapped Impala? I would just leave this one alone.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:

Look at who you're asking... Laughing

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.57

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
IffyG wrote:

True, but I do believe there is a stark contrast between top swapping a car with a semi-known history vs a beater picked up 4 days ago with a blown trans...

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
jmakinen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Frank wrote:
IffyG wrote:

True, but I do believe there is a stark contrast between top swapping a car with a semi-known history vs a beater picked up 4 days ago with a blown trans...

No worries, visual & physical inspection goes a long way. Just be nice & thorough. A lesson my shop teacher taught me when inspecting major components- push/pull, in/out, wiggle/jiggle. If it has any noticeable play, it's on it's way out. And while checking it out, you'll be able to see any previous damage caused from the previous owner's possible minor accidents. You'll know something bad when you see it. Also, a bunch of newer-looking parts in one corner is a possible sign of previous damage in that region from an accident.

That being said, it still drives, right? Take it for a ride! Hit potholes & bumps, and listen for unusual noises. If it breaks or suddenly makes noise, ya know something was wrong. And if you break something while doing this the part was weak anyway- it's better for it to go while you expect it to than for your unsuspecting GF to break it. That could be catastrophic if something seriously goes wrong.
But anyway, do a good physical inspection. Then drive it like you stole it. That will give you a very good indicator of the car's current condition.

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
I've got my own world to live through, and I ain't gonna copy you.
GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.8

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have an ss swap not a top swap. To take the tranny out, what is the first thing to do? My only concern is how hard is it to take the axles out. Everything else is a breeze to me. Once again im only worried about taking the axles out because ive never done it before.

Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3183434
Wingman520
Guru
Guru

Posts per day: 1.18

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

a 2001 can be top swapped... but you'd have to swap to an 04-05 transmission and swap out the engine harness as well as the o2 sensors since those got changed as well (o2 went to new style o2 sensor, ev1 injector connectors instead of the multitec injectors and deletion of the air kit for california emissions... it can be done you just need to research like i have been for awhile (probably too long)... my top swap is sitting and waiting to go on, but i have parts that need ported and money is always the killer of any project build (esp when your making a gen v setup)... it's just me deciding on when to bite the bullet and get the parts done then throw them on after i figure out which route i wanna go in the end... especially since this trans is getting a hefty upgrade besides all the beefed up parts and such

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wingman520 wrote:
a 2001 can be top swapped... but you'd have to swap to an 04-05 transmission and swap out the engine harness as well as the o2 sensors since those got changed as well (o2 went to new style o2 sensor, ev1 injector connectors instead of the multitec injectors and deletion of the air kit for california emissions... it can be done you just need to research like i have been for awhile (probably too long)... my top swap is sitting and waiting to go on, but i have parts that need ported and money is always the killer of any project build (esp when your making a gen v setup)... it's just me deciding on when to bite the bullet and get the parts done then throw them on after i figure out which route i wanna go in the end... especially since this trans is getting a hefty upgrade besides all the beefed up parts and such

Youve been gone too long. You dont need an 04 trans, just ask nightryder

Guru
Guru

Posts per day: 1.18

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
Wingman520 wrote:

Youve been gone too long. You dont need an 04 trans, just ask nightryder

i'm aware of nightryders build. i watched it from when he was acquiring parts to the full build... and i've also asked bbengineer when i was gathering information before acquiring my parts and bbengineer told me the better route for full functionality was to acquire an 04 transmission. if you don't use an 04 AFAIK you won't be able to have a functioning boost bypass valve because the 00-02 impalas obviously didn't have that pinned into the pcm because that setup didn't exist. like i said i'm just going off of the research i've acquired and i know i havn't asked nightryder if his bbv is functioning properly through the pcm...

i'm researching a lead/rumor that has bells ringing in my head. i heard from a local mechanic that said he took an 04 transmission and swapped the valve body out and put it in a 2001 impala so it might be alot easier than swapping the whole transmission if this proves true

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: