NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Not Getting Sound From Speakers? Here's Why.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Not Getting Sound From Speakers? Here's Why.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject:  Not Getting Sound From Speakers? Here's Why. Reply with quote

I recently ran into an issue with my '02 LS where I the radio had power and full functionality but the speakers were dead. No door chimes, no radio, nothing. After messing around with it, I came up with a fix.

This applies for '00-'05 Impalas with the factory amp in the trunk, especially those cars that have suffered from water leaking into the floor boards. It may be a problem for those without, but I haven't experienced that.

What happens is spot where one wire branches out to two corrodes and you lose your power to the amp.

If your radio is coming on, but your speakers are dead, this is most likely your fix.

Tools needed:
-15mm wrench/ratchet
-knife
-soldering supplies
-electrical tape/shrink tubes
-sandpaper
-shop vac (optional)

1. Take a test light, and see if you have power at your factory amp with the car on accessory and the radio on. It is the large orange wire. Most likely you will not have power here. If you don't, precede to step 2. If you do, this thread will not help you.

2. You'll have to pull up the carpet behind the passenger side seat. First, remove the rear bench seat. Just pull up on the front of it, it pops right out. Next, look at where the seat belt attaches to the B pillar. Pop up the cover and remove it with a 15mm wrench or ratchet. Move the seat belt off to the side and starting with the trim piece that was under that, start pulling the trim off. You'll need to remove the upper and lower piece on the B pillar, and the trim that goes along the bottom of the rear door. Again, this is the passenger side. The trim pieces just pop off, no screws.

3. Start pulling back the carpet. It is clipped in towards the front of the rear door opening, not screwed, so just pull up.

4. If your car was effected by this problem, most likely you have water in your floorboards. Research on this site for the proper fix for this and fix it! You don't want more electrical problems down the road. But for now, take a shop vac and vacuum out any water in the floor boards, and try to dry out the carpet. In my car, there was a half an inch of water in the floor pan, but the top of the carpet was dry. I didn't even know it was there!

5. You'll notice a thick black wire loom coming from the trunk area, going up front between the seat and wall, on the floor pan. Pull this wire loom up from the floor, and with a knife cut it open and remove the black plastic around it, being very careful not to cut any wires. Next, remove the electrical tape that is wrapped around the loom.

6. You're looking for a spot where one orange wire from the front of the vehicle splits into two orange wires near the rear of the vehicle. It is most likely covered with some black tape. Pull that tape off, and most likely the wires will come right apart. This is where it was corroded and you were losing your connection.

7. Cut the ends of the wires and strip them back a half inch. They'll probably be tarnished. If they look green and corroded still, cut back until you reach solid wire. If the wire looks black but is not brittle, that is fine. Take some sandpaper and clean up the ends of the wires until they're shiny copper. This is important, or else the solder won't stick.

8. Solder the three ends together and either wrap with electrical tape or use that shrink tube wrap stuff.

9. Test to see if your speakers work. Success!!

10. Putting everything back together is the reverse of ripping everything apart. Just make sure that seatbelt bolt is nice and tight! If you're super concerned about it, find out the torque specs and use a torque wrench to torque it to spec.

The above method fixed my speaker issues, and it has been working beautifully ever since. Remember, this is a band aid to a larger problem! Make sure you fix whatever is causing water to get into your floorboard!

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.35

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What if you have a non-functioning speaker(s) but have the factory amp bypassed and are just running off the deck? I ask because I recently realized I have random no sound coming out of the passenger side. I figured it out when one day out of the blue that side started 'screaming' at me and I figured out I think that's been dead a while. It worked one day, then nothing the next, and now random sound whenever it feels like. I'm not sure what to think Question

Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If it goes on and off like that its got to be a connection issue somewhere, either the wire or at the speaker itself.

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I pulled the mid out to see (hoping) if there was a bad connection right at the speaker itself, but nothing obvious. No clue how that tweeter comes out so I couldn't get to the back of that w/out taking the whole panel off. Confused

Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ya the panels are tedious.. but it'd be somethin I'd have to do .. I like my music!!!

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm not sure where else to look outside of the speaker connection at the door. I wouldn't think it would be at the OEM head unit since that's all in with one big plug I'm sure. If I'm taking a panel off... then new speakers are going in. I just don't wanna get to that point and finally get a new set hooked up only to find a similar issue for some reason Mad
One thing I did notice a while back... something was somehow hooked up/wired wrong in my stock system because the fade is reversed Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: