NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Air Recirculation Actuators
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Air Recirculation Actuators

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacewalker404
Resident
Resident
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.15

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Chevrolet S10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Beark ! Air Recirculation Actuators Reply with quote

Well, the air recirculation actuators went bad. Where are they at in the car and how hard is it to change? Thank you.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Beark ! Re: Air Recirculation Actuators Reply with quote

spacewalker404 wrote:
Well, the air recirculation actuators went bad. Where are they at in the car and how hard is it to change? Thank you.

You did not post the year, make, and model of your car - but I will assume you are taking about the 2004 Impala you have listed under vehicles.

There is only one air recirculation actuator - it is behind the glove compartment, very close to the right side. It is held to the HVAC case with two (or three?) screws. If I remember correctly, they are 7mm hex head.

It is mounted "sideways" on the case. It is a tight squeeze, but you remove the screws, pull the actuator off of the case and metal shaft, unplug the connector - then reinstall the new one in the reverse. One caveat: The center of the actuator has a metal ring that has an indexed slot. It must fit onto the shaft of the "flap" that moves for the actuator. When you remove the old one, look at where the shaft is, as it has a slot cut into it. When you place the new one on the shaft, ensure that it matches the slot, the rotatte the actuator into the correct position to install the screws.

This may sound complicated - but it is not. It is just cramped and you shoud be patient when changing it. You will have to remove the glove box door and any "hush panels" under the right side (held on with plastic nails). The actuators are about $30-40 dollars at the dealer.

My son has a 2004 Grand Prix (W-body) and there was a TSB on how to change the recirculation actuator, which stated the new one was an improved part.

How do you know it is bad? When you push the recirculation button, do you not hear the "rush" of air as the acuator moves the flap?

I hope this helps - good luck.
spacewalker404
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Chevrolet S10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lol, my bad. Yeah, that would be for the dying car... I post my S-10 questions on the S-10 forum. But thank you for the fast reply!

I know its bad, because their is no woosh of the flap closing and a higher fan speed noise. I saw this but I do not trust Q & A websites full of ads. http://www.justanswer.com/chev.....s-not.html . The heat works and I can choose any vent and it all works. So I don't think its the heater core. I believe your referring to TSB #04-01-38-009 for the GTP? Do they have the same components as the Impala? Was looking at a parts break down somewhere and saw there were two air mode actuators, one under neath the glove box and the other in the center of the dash. I dunno, guess I'll try to replace one, the glove box one, and see what happens. Your knowledge will help, thank you.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

spacewalker404 wrote:
Lol, my bad. Yeah, that would be for the dying car... I post my S-10 questions on the S-10 forum. But thank you for the fast reply!

I know its bad, because their is no woosh of the flap closing and a higher fan speed noise. I saw this but I do not trust Q & A websites full of ads. http://www.justanswer.com/chev.....s-not.html . The heat works and I can choose any vent and it all works. So I don't think its the heater core. I believe your referring to TSB #04-01-38-009 for the GTP? Do they have the same components as the Impala? Was looking at a parts break down somewhere and saw there were two air mode actuators, one under neath the glove box and the other in the center of the dash. I dunno, guess I'll try to replace one, the glove box one, and see what happens. Your knowledge will help, thank you.

I had a copy of the TSB (I'm not sure if it is the one you referenced), but it applied to all Grand Prix's (and I think Impala's at the time) for 2004. It said the revised part was improved (meaning they put a terrible quality actuator in the vehicle that failed quickly). I do not know what I did with it - as it has been some time since I replaced the actuator on my son's car. The dealer part's employee gave me a copy of the TSB when I bought the GM actuator.

If I were you - I would not buy aftermarket, but would buy the GM actuator - especially since the part has been revised / improved. The part is black plastic, about one-inch thick, and about the size of a cigarette pack - but irregularly shaped.

Depending on the type of HVAC system you have (single or dual-zone), there are multiple actuators. You have one in the center of the under-dash, which changes the blend doors depending on the mode you select (floor, defrost, vents, etc.). The recirulation actuator is on the right side for all HVAC cases, whether dual or single zone. There are additional actuators for the heat/cool doors, with dual-zone HVAC systems.

Good luck - I hope this helps.

PS - The link you provided has an accurate picture of the actuator and its placement. The picture view is from the SIDE, and it is not as accessible as it looks because the SIDE view is a cutaway picture. When you work on it, you will be looking at the case, and the actuator is mounted on the right side (very close to the side).
spacewalker404
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Chevrolet S10

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2008BlueImpalaLTZ wrote:

If I were you - I would not buy aftermarket, but would buy the GM actuator - especially since the part has been revised / improved. The part is black plastic, about one-inch thick, and about the size of a cigarette pack - but irregularly shaped.

Depending on the type of HVAC system you have (single or dual-zone), there are multiple actuators. You have one in the center of the under-dash, which changes the blend doors depending on the mode you select (floor, defrost, vents, etc.). The recirulation actuator is on the right side for all HVAC cases, whether dual or single zone. There are additional actuators for the heat/cool doors, with dual-zone HVAC systems.

Good luck - I hope this helps.

PS - The link you provided has an accurate picture of the actuator and its placement. The picture view is from the SIDE, and it is not as accessible as it looks because the SIDE view is a cutaway picture. When you work on it, you will be looking at the case, and the actuator is mounted on the right side (very close to the side).

Ah.. I do have dual climate control. Which would explain why there are two pictured in one of the diagrams. Yeah, I'm going to go with the GM actuator. Thank you!

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I replaced mine last year, here are a few pics

Actuator circled in blue

Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I took my front seats out to give me more room for my 6ft -200+lb body.
spacewalker404
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Chevrolet S10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thank you the photos! Haven't accomplished the job yet, been too busy. I'll report back when its fixed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: